Sign in to follow this  
Guest Guest

Clarification

Guest Guest

I am saying this from a very down to earth, practical and totally open approach but I hope that by doing so I will clear up some unfortunate beliefs that have been published on this forum in recent days and in the past.

First, I turn 56 in a few weeks (early February) and have been a serious collector of South African coins since the early 1970s (when I joined Barclays Bank).

Second, I love my hobby and sharing my knowledge with other collectors hoping that it will guide them.

Third, I was banned from the BoB forum a few years back because I became embroiled in a series of posts that I regret when one particular poster (who is no longer on BoB) questioned my integrity. For a serious numismatist this is like driving a dagger through his heart.

Fourth, it was Anthony Govender who persuaded Cuan to let me come back on this forum about a year ago - and I am eternally grateful to Anthony for that.

Fifth, I have over 100 transactions on BoB (through ndoa18) and a 100% satisfaction record.

Sixth, I have no numismatic recognition by any coin club in South Africa although my old club, the Pietermaritzburg Numismatic Society, have accepted me as an overseas member and I hope to go to a meeting in October next year when I am in RSA.

Clarification:

In April last year I started a thread "On the cusp" and more recently "Understanding Fiat currency" - as requested by people who follow this forum.

Many of the people who viewed "On the cusp" asked me to explain Fiat Money. They never participate here on the forum and I would never compromise them by naming them. That is their choice.

In a recent post my integrity was again questioned, but I did not take the bait. I would like to put a simple question to the readers on this forum.

But first, here is the simple practical outline behind the question.

I have spent the last thirty years researching the money of the Griqua - starting from scratch. This is a special interest of mine. As followers of this forum would know I am able to refer to specific pages in specific books published nearly 200 years ago supporting what I say. You can see the books I have bought over thirty years at this link: Books and Letters backing up research

I cannot see how published transcripts of original documents dating back to pre-1820 by historians, or original reports, can be ignored because a recently published book, without sources, suggests otherwise.

What I offer this forum is a labour of love in the best interests of my hobby. Yes, I have a few sets of S&Co but they are irrelevant to the knowledge I share here.

A parallel interest has been investment in silver and gold. The two threads I refer to above have attracted over ten thousand views and I think have educated many here on a new perspective and understanding of Fiat Money and the importance of gold and silver. This has always been in "my view". The thread was started in April 2010 and has played a role in the growing demand for silver and gold sold on BoB. This has not worked in my favour - I have found it increasingly difficult to get the bargains I used to a year ago on this website. Many sellers of silver bullion and coins will confirm to this fact. I am now buying silver from the Perth Mint because postage is making it too hard for an overseas bidder who bought a few hundred crowns from S Africa through BoB last year.

I provide my knowledge on this subject without condition.

Here is the question:

Considering my participation and openness on this forum when it comes to silver and gold why would I be feeding readers with inaccurate information through posts on a subject I know more than most about (Griqua money) to serve my own "selfish interests"?

Kind regards

Scott Balson

Edited by ndoa18

lilythepink

Hi Scott - I for one do not believe you are feeding this forum "crap" and not being a numismatist, I do love reading all your postings as they educate me in a way which is easy and, most of all, enjoyable.

You are a couple of years younger than I am!

I have the dubious honour of also having been banned from the forum - for a week - for speaking my truth!

Please carry on posting ...!

mellowred

I also find your posts very educational Scott.

I don't contribute to them because I can't add anything of interest (i.o.w. I wouldn't know what I was talking about :wink:). But I do read and learn.

Keep posting.

JPBon

Hi Scott

I too read your posts avidly, besides learning something every time, your writing style and descriptiveness is stunning. Seems you have a following of non coin collectors on here who have the utmost respect for your knowledge.

ThomasMueller

Scott,

let me say this: you are on the right way and doing a great work. Many thanks!

Especially your input on the history and rise on Nazi Germany is stunning. I think we are right now in a similar situation like in the 30s of the last century and things are changing for the worse... Today Germany´s online media no.1 asked the question: When will the USA be bankrupt? For reference just look here: Debatte über US-Staatspleite: Amerika ist abgebrannt - SPIEGEL ONLINE - Nachrichten - Wirtschaft

I am sure this will happen within the next years. I - in my person - expect a currency cut for the US Dollar (may be 1:5) and a collapse of the Euro. Despite it is for most people unthinkable, I am sure that it will happen. Gold and silver will be a stronghold....

Internet allows use to communicate around the world within seconds. This has never been possible before in history, this may accelerate a trend. Please just remember: there is not so much physical gold and silver available. I am living in Cologne (Germany), a city with a population of about one million. But this incident could be anywhere in the world: Just try to change 1.000 Euro to silver coins and 10.000 Euros to gold coins, you will see how few physical gold and silver are available!

Just before christmas I sold a Chinese sports coin for 1.800 Euros to an auction house located in Shanghai. I bought this coin for 50 Euros not so long ago. The comet-like rise of China and the flooding with new US Dollars by the Fed are jumbling the old way situation of worldwide economics. Many people have NOT realized that. Some people say: Oh I am selling my gold, I get so much money.

But just look at that Chinese coin which went from 50 Euros to 1.800 Euros, would it have been a "good deal" if I would have sold it for 300 Euros to a dealer some month ago? As reference for the numismatics: PRC 1984 10 Yuan volleyball in "matt version" (unc), there have been only 1.000 pieces issued in matt/unc, the proof version is common.

Best regards

Thomas

Edited by ThomasMueller

jwither

Scott,

I also like reading your posts even if we frequently disagree. Please keep it up.

MsPlod

Keep it coming Scott! The debate is inevitable, stand your ground and remember not to take the personal shots personally. Those who play the player and not the ball are bad losers...

dstorm

Could not agree more with what JP said: "I too read your posts avidly, besides learning something every time, your writing style and descriptiveness is stunning. Seems you have a following of non coin collectors on here who have the utmost respect for your knowledge."

I am a professional stamp dealer, but I follow this forum all the time.

Thanks and regards

Jacques

Guest Guest

Thanks for the support

Apart from Thomas and John (who are regular non-South African "On the cusp" contributors) all the responses on this thread have been from BoB members who are not recognised as prominent coin collectors although their support here is greatly appreciated. Not one South African numismatist of note has even bothered to reply.

This tells me two things...

1) my contribution here is drawing new blood to our hobby.

2) my peers in numismatics have disregarded the message in the thread "Its time to let it go" (personally, I know where the "egos" are...)

The reason I post my knowledge under this thread is because I share your passion even if I do live in Australia. Is that a bad thing?

The only comment targeted at me in recent day by someone involved in coins questioned the purpose of this categories leading thread "On the cusp". http://forum.bidorbuy.co.za/coins-notes-numismatist/12358-differences-between-bullion-numismatics.html#post97443

Here is the wake up call.

If this is way my contributions here are to be acknowledged by my fellow numismatists then I won't waste the many hours I do in sharing my knowledge with you.

I love my hobby but if those who share it with me do not appreciate what I offer then why should I share my knowledge?

Ask yourself the same question - would you.

PS I am not looking for an "ego rub" but the silence is compelling.

Kind regards

Scott Balson

Edited by ndoa18

alloway65

Hi Scott,

Your opinions, advice and your willingness to pass on your extensive knowledge, plus the time spent on preparing your writings for the BoB Forum, is very much appreciated by many.

While we don’t always agree with all you say it does give the uninitiated and less worldly a good basis to further their financial, numismatic & ”investment” knowledge.

I don’t class myself as a Numismatist..…just a coin collector, coin hoarder & speculator! Speculation should not be a dirty word as long as you (think you) know what you are doing and only speculate with funds you can afford to lose. For my own part speculation over the years in different commodities has been quite lucrative…..with a few losses thrown in!!!

I have been putting away silver coinage for some time now to bolster the education funds of my four young grandchildren (three in Australia)!

2011 should be an “interesting” year for those who have prepared for the probable financial crises to come.

Best regards

David

Cold Sea

Hi Scott,

You referred to yourself no less than 50 times in the first post. Maybe that's where the rub lies, not in your perceived bias or sincereness.

Some of your topics are interesting and gives food for thought. However, not all your opinions are gospel, (read Griqua and Strachan). Even you accepted that the Griqua money circulated, albeit for short period. Maybe the devastating drought had something to do with it. Point is, post about topics, as egos are so last year.

Regards

lilythepink
Hi Scott,

You referred to yourself no less than 50 times in the first post. Maybe that's where the rub lies, not in your perceived bias or sincereness.

Some of your topics are interesting and gives food for thought. However, not all your opinions are gospel, (read Griqua and Strachan). Even you accepted that the Griqua money circulated, albeit for short period. Maybe the devastating drought had something to do with it. Point is, post about topics, as egos are so last year.

Regards

I have absolutely no problem at all with how ever many times you may wish to refer to yourself, Scott. You keep us entertained and educated. Please don't stop! The Beak won't want to sit on my shoulder and learn new things anymore either if you do!

qball

There are already several topics open by Scott on these matters. thus this will be closed.

Thank you