Sign in to follow this  
retailrush

Buyers not including Cash Deposit Fee in their payment

retailrush    10
retailrush

This has now happened to me...

Item purchased for R12.50 - Postage & Packaging R45.00 (heavy item) = R57.50

In TWO e-mails via the BoB messaging system I asked the buyer to add R9.00 if paying by CASH DEPOSIT making a total of R66.50. (My payment terms state that their will be fee for cash deposits and that I will advise the amount when confirming the order.)

I don't think I could have been clearer.

The buyer paid by CASH DEPOSIT yesterday - depositing R57.50 (clearly not including the cash deposit fee as requested).

As Standard Bank have just inceased their CASH DEPOSIT FEE I have decided not to take the loss, and have asked the buyer to pay the outstanding amount of R9.00 plus another cash deposit fee of R8.00 making a total of R16.00.

This is just an uneccessary waste of time and effort - this buyer is probably now going to be upset with me (through no fault of mine)...

I know this has happened to most of you guys (sellers) - how do you handle it? Do you also hold out for the outstanding payment before shipping?

mellowred    10
mellowred
I know this has happened to most of you guys (sellers) - how do you handle it? Do you also hold out for the outstanding payment before shipping?

Yes, most definitely hold out. The sold item is R12.50, by losing R9 you end up paying the buyer to buy from you. Just not on.

I had the same experience (R1 auction and R5 cash fee :hm:) and it ended in me refunding and filing an SNC. In my scenario, the buyers ratings indicated that she had done this before.

booksallsizes    10
booksallsizes

I have been letting it ride (which I shouldn't) - it's only happened a couple of times but it's beginning to irk a little. Especially when emails are ignored. I think you're perfectly entitled to hold out for the outstanding amount - you've made it perfectly clear.

kebs    10
kebs

It's happened a few times to me.. I clearly state in the checkout that if the buyer does not include the cash deposit fee first time around, they will have to pay a higher fee second time round. I will not post until this fee is covered.. If buyers don't read the info properly, then it's their own fault quite frankly..

mellowred    10
mellowred
I have been letting it ride (which I shouldn't) - it's only happened a couple of times but it's beginning to irk a little. Especially when emails are ignored. I think you're perfectly entitled to hold out for the outstanding amount - you've made it perfectly clear.

It's one of those things that make us feel petty. "Why quibble over such a small amount?" But at the end of the day all those little amounts add up.

My rule of thumb is to check ratings and decide if it is a genuine mistake or just trying to get away with something. But few of us can afford to pay for others to "buy" our items.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

I am in total agreement about not sending items until a buyer has paid everything due! Fortunately this situation has only happened to me twice and I've stood my ground and both have paid up. But I can imagine the situation is far worse for those of you who sell a lot more than I do.

retailrush    10
retailrush

Thanks for your input one and all - I will definitely hold out for the outstanding funds and if the buyer says she doesn't want to pay, then I will offer her a refund less the cash deposit fee of R9.00.

SProducts    10
SProducts

I agree with everyone, if the cash deposit fees are not paid, I dont send the item till the buyer pays them.

RISadler    10
RISadler

Radical idea, but why can't the banks charge this at the teller when the person deposits the cash?