Sign in to follow this  
SuperCrossBun

Bidding just before time runs out

SuperCrossBun

Is it frowned upon to bid on an item a few minutes before time runs out, if someone else has the highest bid?

I know of the 3 minute thing and that time extends, but what do you guys think?

It probably just comes down to ethics or what?

Thanks

JPBon

seems a lot of people wait till the end just to get a bargain, they are scared that if they bid early the price will go up.

dstorm

Hello SuperCrossBun

You bid as you please. Many buyers will tell you about their individual bidding “tactics”. Whether any of them actually work is debatable, but you can do whatever you want to do.

The only thing where ethics come into play is that you have to pay if successful.

Thanks and regards

Jacques

SuperCrossBun

Thanks, wasn't sure how people would react.

dstorm; saw you're interested in Jan Smuts, a descendant of his brother is one of my best friends. Thought that might be interesting.

Kit W

Hi SuperCrossBun

I have placed and received bids in the 3 minute time-frame that you are referring to and do not think that it is unethical. It is like any other auction you attend - the item goes to the higest bidder. Admittedly I have lost some bids at a very late stage but it all depends how badly you need the item and the price-celing that you are prepared to place

Welcome to the forum and enjoy the chatter

Regards

Kit

lilythepink

I absolutely agree with the sentiments expressed above that it is not unethical to place a bid at the last moment! It is, in fact, a whole lot of fun and very much a part of any auction.

sungems

What is the point of having an auction if you can not bid on the item and as Kit W stated: Any auction you attend only ends when the highest bid is received

kyle2

Bob has this peculiar policy allowing bids to extend if there is any last minute sniping going on (which benefits the seller), ebay does not have this facility and is therefore much more fun for the bidder.

I don't think bidding at the last second is unethical at all, I've won many items that way. Sniper Tactics, all part of the auction process.:suspicious:

You always get the one jackass who has no intention of buying anything, but will push up the bidding just for the hell of it, they call these people ringers in the live auction world.(I think because bidders would wring their necks if they knew)

qball

Extended bidding is optional, not all sellers utilise it, so "sniping" on ordinary auctions is still possible - just remember to refresh the page to check for other bids.

RISadler

I think the "extended bids" thingy is great. I've had a lot of fun bidding against somebody else in the last minutes, with the auction extending with each bid, and then having to figure out in under two minutes is the item is worth fighting for - especially when you have two other auctions going on. :grin: