Sign in to follow this  
coinoisseur

It's time to let it go

coinoisseur

Why do children on the school-ground call each other names?

Why do numismatists get upset with comments of other numismatists?

Why do we become embroiled in mudslinging?

Why can't someone have an opinion and then change their minds?

Why can't we all have our own opinion on matters but not let this impact on our relationships when debating issues?

Why can I not be your friend if I do not agree with you?

Why is ego more important or bigger than numismatics?

Why do we think that it’s the school you are from that matter? Are we less of a person for not having a silver spoon in our mouth?

Why do we dedicate time to assassinate character?

Why do we lose focus on what is important in numismatics?

Why is the BidorBuy forum still going? What happened to the Death Knell? I was around when Aljada, Geejay50, Ndoa18, Pierre_Henri, 4Kids, Ewaan Galleries, RareNoteCoins, and a few others and I, were remaining soldiers keeping the coin forum and its postings going whilst many others were too afraid to be associated with the BidorBuy forum?

Why do people quickly switch allegiances, surely allegiances are quickly reversed?

Why does loyalty and friendship mean so little today?

AND

Why did America support Bin Laden only to have him turn on them?

Why does the wolf wear sheep's clothing?

EGO!!!!!!

The answers are not this simple, but a theory is that we are all guilty of a bit of arrogance. We know it all and write it on here, there, and everywhere in the hope that someone will respond and massage our own egos. (me and you included). I’m doing it now. We thrive on it.

You see anyone who cares to read this, for me numismatics is not about ego stroking. It is not about what I can get out of anybody. I have noticed that this game is very much about expectations and the perception of what someone can do for you. Often in my brief travels into the numismatic circles, I sense that people think I want something from them. I don’t. I want to enjoy the game and spend the money I work hard for, on entertaining myself in this “Hobby of Kings”. I want to share my enjoyment and love for the game with likeminded people. Ego’s mean nothing to me, and no, I don’t want anything from anyone. Numismatics is not a personal playground for a certain clique. It belongs to all who invest their hard earned cash into it. From the R5.00 collector to the wealthiest collector who spend millions on coins.

If you follow SA politics, you would have learned one thing, an attack on a leader will only galvanise their supporters behind that leader.

Please friends let it go. Surely our energies are better spent on making a real difference in numismatics. Discrediting individuals can surely not increase your collection. We need to sort out the real issues in numismatics. Surely personal vendetta’s is not more important than the many other numismatic issues we currently have.

I battle to understand the bitterness we display so eloquently against fellow numismatists in the many postings on this forum. Once we were all friends when we started, we communicated openly and debated in an adult like manner. What happened? What changed? Our hatred is aimed at friends, where insults are traded under the banner of BidorBuy. Is it the person you hate, or the fact that the person has a better collection or more knowledge? Surely our love for the game is far greater than our bitterness for fellow BidorBuy posters.

Please can we all just let it go? Our differences divide us, but we unite in the love for this game. The sideshow is entertaining, but does nothing for the credibility of numismatics and people involved in it. How can we encourage new blood to this crap, a bloodbath of insults and a total disregard for fellow numismatists? Think about the thousands of people worldwide that read this forum.

I believe that the likes of Ndoa18, Geejay50, Aljada, Pierri_Henri, 4Kids, Ewaan Galleries and a lot more posters on this forum can add a lot to South African numismatics.

It’s Time To Let It Go

Guest Guest

You raise some good points Anthony and I do whole heartedly agree.

although it was a trifle long winded like some of my posts are accused of being! Tsk.. tsk

What do you think Georg?

Kind regards

Scott Balson

Edited by ndoa18

kyle2

I am a small time collector of silver and gold coins, and regularly visit the forums numismatists get to talking on, I've learned quite a bit, both about various coins under discussion and that you guys seem to take things really personally very easily. Remember that many of us out there take guidence from what you guys post, so it gets a bit disapointing when mud is slung around, "He who slings mud, loses ground"

Ndoa18, Geejay50, Aljada, Pierri_Henri, 4Kids, Ewaan Galleries, Scott, and many more, you guys have all a wealth of knowledge between you, keep up the good work and thanks for all the valuable input (except for the personal attacks, entertaining as they may be?)

:grin:

Edited by kyle2
Forgot Scott

lilythepink

I second all the compliments from kyle2. The history that goes into the making of numismatics intrigues me no end and for all his factual information, I am especially grateful to Scott!

Rare NotesCoins

Kids like to play my dad is better than youre dad.

There was once a scientist. After a lot of practice & efforts, hedeveloped a formula & learned the art of reproducing himself. He didit so perfectly that it was impossible to tell the reproduction fromthe original.

One day while doing his research, he realized that the Angel of Deathwas searching for him. In order to remain alive he reproduced a dozencopies of himself. The reproduction was so similar that all of themlooked exactly like him.

Now when this Angel of Death came down, he was at a loss to know whichof the thirteen before him was the original scientist, & confused, heleft them all alone & returned back to heaven.

But, not for long, for being an expert in human nature, the Angel came up with a clever idea. He said to the scientist addressing allthirteen of them, "Sir, you must be a genius to have succeeded inmaking such perfect reproduction formula of yourself. However, I have discovered a flaw in your work, just one tiny little flaw."

The scientist immediately jumped out & shouted,

"Impossible! where is the flaw?"

"Right here" said the Angel, as he picked up the scientist from amongthe reproductions & carried him off.

The whole purpose of the scientist & his formula of reproductionfailed as he could not control his pride, so he lost his life.

So when man's Knowledge & Skills takes him to the top of the ladder &makes him successful, however the three letter word "EGO" can pull himdown to earth immediately at its double speed.

So don't allow Ego to kill yourself,

Instead; KILL YOUR EGO..!!!

Kids will be kids

qball

I must again caution certain members about their conduct on the forum, please do not make the posts personal - you know who you are.

Thank you.

Pierre_Henri

My New Year resolution is to be a good boy this year – be a clean shaven, upright walking, and strait talking numismatist: being to SA numismatics what Kurt Durren is to the Afrikaans music fraternity – enemy-less and loved by all and sundry.

I am NOT going to be a Steve Hofmeyer this year, I am NOT going to be a Julius Malema this year, and I am NOT going to be a Robert Mugabe this year.

NO Sir, only good things will come out of my mouth during 2011.

Words that EVERYONE wants to hear around here.

Things like ...

...1931 tickey

...Brilliant Uncirculated

...1902 VeldPond

...MS65

...Mirror like fields

...POP1

...Burgers Pond

...24 carat gold

...and so on and so forth...

Yes Sir, on me you can count from here onwards until the Rands come to Roost.

Have a great 2011 everyone!

Pierre

Guest Guest

Good on ya :)

very cute post Pierre :grin:

I guess this is more my style (tongue firmly in cheek)..

A macho young swimmer named Dwyer,

Really liked playing with fire.

One night in the dark

He swam with a shark,

And his voice is now two octaves higher.

source unknown

Kind regards

Scott Balson

Edited by ndoa18

lilythepink

Brilliant, Scott. Absolutely brilliant!