Sign in to follow this  
DestinysAngels

My Destiny Just Choked!

DestinysAngels    10
DestinysAngels

:sad:My little Destiny choked on a piece of Rawhide, there were foam coming out of her mouth and i tried to feel where it was stuck but were scared of pushing it deeper down, she then started making sounds, i rushed through to my Vet, went through all the red robots and put my hazards on, but do you think for one second people would give you a gap, in the mean time she is going stiff right next to me and there is nothing i could do. The Vet waited by the door and rushed her through giving her a scope, X-Ray's and put her under immediately to save her from trying to breath on her own because it could cause brain damage if she doesn't get oxygen, she could not find anything and said that she thinks with me panicking and driving over bumps it must have gone down. She is still there waiking up and the Vet said she needs to eat something first before she could come home!

I am petrified, when i said good-buy she was still sedated, awwe and so tiny, so i kissed her on the back just so she knows i love her dearly. I cannot believe that one minute she were playing and the next trying to catch her breath!

Please, please be warned about Raw-Hide and those Horse Shoes for Yorkies, the Horse Shoes break in pieces and resembles fine like glass and will cut the intestines and the Raw-Hide get soft eventually and they just swallow whether big or small, it is a NO-NO, Tennis balls too believe it or not but they get filled up with the hair and it sits in their tummys and intestines and that goes for alot of other so called toys!

I am awaiting the Vet's call but i am so scared my stomack is in a knot!

daisyjewel    10
daisyjewel

I really hope she is OK ... shame it is so terrible that you had to go through that

Vinyl Lady Decals    10
Vinyl Lady Decals

Hi DA

I really feel for you, this happened to one of my kittens and I was so grateful that the Vet was able to save him.

I'm holding thumbs for you and hope that everything will work out well.

DestinysAngels    10
DestinysAngels

:angel:I just fetched Destiny and she is doing great, running around as if nothing has happened. It really is a great relief, never again will i give them Raw-Hide. Now the only problem is hoping that it will get smaller so she can poop it out otherwise the Vet will have to operate. I saw the X-Ray, shoe it was really a big piece that got stuck, a quarter of her tummy showed the piece, i was quite baffled about that. I am just relieved she is up and running again!

Vinyl Lady Decals    10
Vinyl Lady Decals

Awesome news, it's amazing how resilient they can be.:grin:

DestinysAngels    10
DestinysAngels
Awesome news, it's amazing how resilient they can be.:grin:

Thanks so much for caring, i am just so happy she is ok!:love:

Miss Jewels    10
Miss Jewels
Thanks so much for caring, i am just so happy she is ok!:love:

Thinking of you! I had the same with my one Labrador and it was nerve-racking. She choked on a bone and we also rushed her off to the vet. Luckily they could take it out. Amazing how quickly they forget their ordeal and just carry on as if they were never ill....

DestinysAngels    10
DestinysAngels
I really hope she is OK ... shame it is so terrible that you had to go through that

Thank you for caring!:love:

DestinysAngels    10
DestinysAngels
Thinking of you! I had the same with my one Labrador and it was nerve-racking. She choked on a bone and we also rushed her off to the vet. Luckily they could take it out. Amazing how quickly they forget their ordeal and just carry on as if they were never ill....

:hm:Yes it is pretty scarry, i cleaned the foam up last night that she threw up yesterday and was i surprized, the foam turned straight back into the Raw-Hide when it hit the water, so it looks like it does disolve, but the thing is she still has it in her tummy, so hopefully it will disolve too so she can relieve herself from it. Thanks again for caring, she is sitting on my lap this morning and slept on my tummy last night, she is Mommy's Sweetie!

:wondering:Now i am going to have to list stuff fast, this ordeal costed me R1500.00 and i need to get that back somehow. I have a tiny bit stached away for emergencies for the dogs, but after yesterday i am going to be in trouble. Didn't think it would be so much, but i suppose the X-Ray's, Scope, Anaesthetics and the consultation adds up, i am supposed to take her back this morning for another X-Ray to see whether it is disolving, but i just don't have the dosh, so hears hoping that in the next 72 hours the thingy will pass through!

BumbleBabe    10
BumbleBabe

WOW DA, what a scare. So happy she's alright, hold her extra tight tonight, and a big kiss from me :love:

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Am so happy to read that Destiny is okay. But the vet's bill is outrageous ...! And one would like to write a book about veterinary fees while one is on the subject. Do you know that all animal welfare societies, whose mission is to help any animal in need, are forced to get owners of animals to complete an income statement before assistance can be provided? This is nothing to do with the animal welfare societies but all due to certain vets who feel that business is being taken away from them. (Fortunately, we have a fantastic, helpful and caring vet where we live!)

DestinysAngels    10
DestinysAngels
Am so happy to read that Destiny is okay. But the vet's bill is outrageous ...! And one would like to write a book about veterinary fees while one is on the subject. Do you know that all animal welfare societies, whose mission is to help any animal in need, are forced to get owners of animals to complete an income statement before assistance can be provided? This is nothing to do with the animal welfare societies but all due to certain vets who feel that business is being taken away from them. (Fortunately, we have a fantastic, helpful and caring vet where we live!)

:wondering:Hi litlythepink, could you please explain this to me a bit clearer as i don't understand exactly what this means, i would appreciate that,thanks!

"Do you know that all animal welfare societies, whose mission is to help any animal in need, are forced to get owners of animals to complete an income statement before assistance can be provided? This is nothing to do with the animal welfare societies but all due to certain vets who feel that business is being taken away from them. (Fortunately, we have a fantastic, helpful and caring vet where we live!)"

DestinysAngels    10
DestinysAngels
WOW DA, what a scare. So happy she's alright, hold her extra tight tonight, and a big kiss from me :love:

Yes it was, she seems to be doing great, so i am very chuffed, thanks BB!:laugh:

lilythepink    10
lilythepink
:wondering:Hi litlythepink, could you please explain this to me a bit clearer as i don't understand exactly what this means, i would appreciate that,thanks!

"Do you know that all animal welfare societies, whose mission is to help any animal in need, are forced to get owners of animals to complete an income statement before assistance can be provided? This is nothing to do with the animal welfare societies but all due to certain vets who feel that business is being taken away from them. (Fortunately, we have a fantastic, helpful and caring vet where we live!)"

I've answered you in a PM, DA!

DestinysAngels    10
DestinysAngels
I've answered you in a PM, DA!

Thanks, i got it!:razz:

lilythepink    10
lilythepink
Thanks, i got it!:razz:

Hope it made sense to you? Can we start an anti-veterinary bills campaign? LOL

DestinysAngels    10
DestinysAngels
Hope it made sense to you? Can we start an anti-veterinary bills campaign? LOL

You know i love my Vet, although very expensive but i have gotten each and every doggie back when an operation was due. I have had not so good experiences with others and they were cheaper and 2 of my dogs never came home but went to doggie heaven. So now i will just work harder to enable me to pay the fees, my furrys are my life and i want each one back.:razz:

My little Shelley weighs 1kg and she is 6 years going on 7 this year and she was at deaths door a couple of times and yet my Vet managed to bring her back safely to me. She has skin problems and smells like a little rat if not bathed twice per week, she is loosing hair and is on cronic medicine but she is still here, once all the hair has disapeared i will dress her to protect her skin. She was one of my pized dogs and as the years passed the genetics started showing, unfortunately that cannot be detected too early.

But it is because of her that i fell inlove with the Yorkshire Breed in 2004 and i am proud to say i still am!:love:

MrAerospace    10
MrAerospace

lilythe pink has an excellent remedy for dogs with itchy skin and hair falling out. Just PM her with your email address and I'm sure she'll get hold of you tomorrow.

DestinysAngels    10
DestinysAngels
lilythe pink has an excellent remedy for dogs with itchy skin and hair falling out. Just PM her with your email address and I'm sure she'll get hold of you tomorrow.

:hm:Thank you, i would appreciate that, i have taken her to 3 Vets and done 3 Biopsy's and the results came back each time "GENETICS", not much one can do but i tell you it is not nice sitting here seeing her scratch the whole day, every minute, every hour, it is getting to me. She seems to be obsessed with the scratching, the hair is also going now very, very fast. She is on Flagyl Cronicaly, if not given she starts bleeding out her backside, not nice, i do have a hunch it might be contrabuting to the scratching. Thanks again!

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

DA, please PM me with your email me with your postal address and I will send you a sample of my doggy-itch remedy, free of charge (including postage)! Or, if this would be against BoB rules, I will put it on for R1.00 special listing for you, including postage!

DestinysAngels    10
DestinysAngels
DA, please PM me with your email me with your postal address and I will send you a sample of my doggy-itch remedy, free of charge (including postage)! Or, if this would be against BoB rules, I will put it on for R1.00 special listing for you, including postage!

Thanks Janet!:razz:

Miss Jewels    10
Miss Jewels

Hi Lily. My youngest Labby (11 months) also scratches like mad. Her tails sections doens't have any hair anymore. She's been on cortizone as the vet says she will outgrow her scratching. I spary her constantly with Frontline but it's still not helping. You seem to possibly have a remedy?

lilythepink    10
lilythepink
Hi Lily. My youngest Labby (11 months) also scratches like mad. Her tails sections doens't have any hair anymore. She's been on cortizone as the vet says she will outgrow her scratching. I spary her constantly with Frontline but it's still not helping. You seem to possibly have a remedy?

You are welcome to PM me with your email address so I can tell you more ...

It could also be boredom that has her scratching/licking/biting - labs are particularly prone to this behaviour and once the habit starts it is very difficult to stop! Rather than spraying with Frontline, change to Advantage pour-on drops and use them religiously every 28 days! It does help even more if you can bath her the day before you put the Advantage on! I have two labs and, fortunately, they haven't started the itching (one is 10 years old and black, the other is cream coloured and a year old).

Edited by lilythepink

booksallsizes    10
booksallsizes

My father has an ex-guide dog that he rescued (one that slipped through the Guide Dog Association's system, for some reason - they were horrified that it happened because they're brilliant at keeping tabs on the dogs but are happy now that it has all ended well) - she scratches non-stop, all day long too. Can't bear it. She's also on medication, she knows her own way to the vet by now, she's been so often but nothing seems to help.

Lily, could you maybe put your remedy up for sale? I would really really appreciate it - would be fabulous to give the poor pooch some relief.....

booksallsizes    10
booksallsizes

DA - am so happy that your child is okay - what an awful fright you must have had. Incredible how resilient animals can be - that she was happy and playing so soon after her ordeal...

I agree that vet's bills are exorbitant.... If it weren't for that, I would happily fill my house with even more animals.

Newly-qualified vets too, should do a period of internship before setting up practice (no doubt they'd not like this suggestion), spaying, neutering and vaccinating for welfare organisations so that the only cost would be drugs and materials. This would certainly help keep animal numbers down and they would be giving to the community before starting out on their high-fee careers :cheesy:

If this ever became a reality, I would stop my muttering whenever I have to pay a bill....