Sign in to follow this  
pablojani

wall plates

pablojani    10
pablojani

Can anyone tell me the best way to hang wall plates on the walls? I have a large collection of wall plates. They were stuck on the walls with Prestik [horrors]. The Prestik held well and I lost very few plates but then I had to take them all down to do painting. Getting the Prestik off the walls was a nightmare. Now I want to put the plates back but i have vowed never to use Prestik again. I bought wire plate holders and goodies to hammer into the wall to hold them. The problem is that every time I try to hammer in one of these plastic goodies (it has 4 or 5 pins that should actually go into the wall) the plaster on the wall breaks and I am left with a gaping crater which I then have to fill in with Polyfilla. Is there a special knack in knocking in these hooks? I have also tried with brass hooks that have one pin you hammer in, same thing happens, plaster breaks.

There must be a simple solution to this. Help appreciated.

mellowred    10
mellowred

Hi Elizabeth it is obviously the wall plaster that is causing the problem. You may have to drill holes and use nails.

MsPlod    10
MsPlod

There is another way to do it which can make a difference. If the plaster is so brittle, then this helps with drilling too.

Put a number of strips of good-quality masking tape over the wall where you want to drill or hammer. These help to reduce the vibration and can keep the plaster intact.

pablojani    10
pablojani

wall plates

Thanks guys, for the advice. I should have mentioned that these walls are VERY hard. They were not built with clay bricks but with concrete bricks. So I am not sure if it is the plaster to blame. But I am becoming an expert at filling in the craters that form when I try to knock in nails. LOL This morning I tried Ms Plod's tip with the masking tape and it worked like a charm. I now have one plate back in place and I hope that it works as well when I do the rest of them otherwise I will be putting a lot of wall plates on BoB. One day I may have to take all the plates down again if I move but I think that removing the hooks and squares of masking tape will be less of a hassle than removing the Prestik was.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

MsPlod is a most versatile person! She has MrAerospace's total admiration yet again for knowing something he thought only he knew. lol