Sign in to follow this  
retailrush

Standard Bank Charges (Increased effective 1/1/2011)

retailrush

Just a reminder to all Sellers who bank with Standard Bank - Their bank charges increased from the 1 January 2010. This will affect the Cash Deposit fee that you charge your buyers...

For your information a Cash Deposit will now cost you: R7.00 plus 1.20% of the value

i.e. If a buyer deposits R350.00 to your account you will be charged R11.20 cash deposit fee

(The old charge was R3.50 plus 1.03% of the value) - so this is quite an increase!!!

kebs

Just great... Now how does one put that in the postage section without having every single buyer who wants to pay via cash deposit email you to ask how much the total will be because they are too lazy to grab a calculator & figure it out themselves.. :hm:

retailrush

@ Kebs - I state in my "Payment" section that there will be an extra charge for a Cash Deposit and that I will advise the amount when I confirm the order. I don't have numerous sales everyday so it's managable for me this way!

brands online

BOB charges a flat rate of R16-50, so thats what we charge...

kyle2

Flat rates are sometimes the way to go, I see that Standard Bank are doing all sorts of things to increase revenue, they are on an aggressive loan campaign at the moment, some trouble brewing with their bottom line maybe?:wondering:

brands online

Whatever it is, it's got me looking for another bank this year. Their charges are ridiculous, service is average to say the least and not even a diary this year! :amazed::grin:

Vinyl Lady Decals

There's definitely a problem at Standard Bank.

I've noticed on several occasions since the beginning of December that transfers into my Std Bank account from other Standard Bank customers only show on my statement the day after the transfer instead of within 15 minutes as it used to.

The only reason I can think of is that they are doing this to take advantage of the overnight interest they earn on the amount.

JPBon

If you want the cheapest rates by far....look at Capitec Ive been impressed so far

lilythepink

JP - you know I've been thinking of going the Capitec way but after viewing something on TV2 last night and seeing how they ripped off a customer, I'm still sitting on the fence! (Wish I could remember what the programme was but I was too tired to remember proper info!)

JPBon

Ok I missed that

RISadler
... some trouble brewing with their bottom line maybe?

Now that sounds promising, as all my debt is with Standard Bank!

kyle2
Now that sounds promising, as all my debt is with Standard Bank!

Yes, a lot of rumours doing the rounds, they have apparently layed off a lot of staff too, will be watching that space.:hm:

sungems

I wanted to change my bank some time ago (also STD B currently) Looked at Capitec but did not really had the time to go into in it depth. My wondered about the buyers staying in remote town that do not have EFT as a option and if they want to pay by means of a cash deposit would there be a Capitec branch in all the towns

mellowred

Rumour has it that Standard Bank is on the road to bankruptcy.

A house with an outstanding bond of R900,000 was let go for R450,000; and another I know of, bond was R1.6 mill sold for R950,000.

Unless the house owner signs off the house at that price, the bank cannot come after you for the balance. So they must be desperate for cash to take those losses.

lilythepink

I hate to think of people having to lose their homes like this. It's terribly, terribly sad and I wonder why banks (all of them!) don't take some type of action to ensure that people do not lose their only properties. But, then, if banks can rip people off with their bank charges for so much as breathing inside their bank, then I don't suppose we can expect any empathy from them during this recession?

amcintyre
There's definitely a problem at Standard Bank.

I've noticed on several occasions since the beginning of December that transfers into my Std Bank account from other Standard Bank customers only show on my statement the day after the transfer instead of within 15 minutes as it used to.

The only reason I can think of is that they are doing this to take advantage of the overnight interest they earn on the amount.

I have also noticed this. This started about a month back now. I went in to the local Std branch to question this and they spun a wonderful story about Christmas, month end, public holidays the upcoming visit of Santa Claus etc... :mad: However, their efts still take up to two days.

I find that they actually complete the transfer the second morning at aproximately 7:00 am.

Has anyone else questioned Standard Bank about this?

lilythepink

I haven't questioned them about anything recently because they just come up with excuses that don't serve any purpose. But, yes, their general attitude towards customer service has been atrocious of late but I do bless the fact that the couple of staff whom I know in our local branch help me out no end when I call on them.