Sign in to follow this  
anthony03

"Ask the seller a question"

anthony03

Having asked a number of questions which have remained unanswered, I think it is high time that all questions appear on the sellers page when asked and it is then mandatory for the Seller to respond. If they do not, they also need to be rated negatively. There is nothing more frustrating than asking a question or making a pertinent comment about an item, then the auction date passes and no reply is forthcoming. :evil:

dstorm

Hello Anthony

I think you have to think twice about this.

What if for some reason the seller can not get to a computer for a day?

I get numerous questions that have nothing to do with the items that I am selling. Why should I be obligated to waste my time?

The question / answer facility is there for the buyer’s benefit. This does not mean that it is an obligation to the seller.

Why should a person who is not a buyer as yet, be able to rate a reliable seller negative?

One seller with ZERO ratings once gave me THREE neutral ratings simply because I did not answer his question “in time” (he simply “bought” the items, just so that he could give me the neutral ratings and he never paid me). BidorBuy saw his reason for the ratings as being legitimate. His abusive emails and threats made me decide against filing an SNC.

Please understand that sellers are not robots. We get sick, we attend auctions, we take a day off and our computers do break down.

Regards

Jacques

brands online

Well put, dstorm :blink1:

There are also loads of buyers or rather "so-called' buyers who will ask 101 ridiculous questions and not place a bid or buy thereafter. If it became obligatory on sellers to answer all questions, it would become a nightmare.

Vinyl Lady Decals

I also agree with Jacques and brands online.

I have also experienced abuse in questions and have simply not bothered to answer, but deleted instead.

Can you imagine how much abuse would go on against innocent sellers if abusers knew that their "questions" could be viewed by everybody?

kebs

I try to answer every question, but it is incredibly frustrating when one answers question after question from the same person, sometimes requiring me emailing various suppliers, & then I never hear from them again.. Also irritating when I answer questions when they could just read the listing for the answer..

DestinysAngels

:huh:I had questions on books i sold and the buyer were asking numerous questions such as how many pages, then size of book, then height of book, then a more detailed description of the book and this went on and on, then i decided to take the book off for awhile and guess what the buyer went on asking on my other items where the book is and, and, and. I then listed it for the buyer as they wanted to buy it and they never did. Pretty tiring i'd say, now i just ignore some people when i feel the questions is just not worth it and the book was sold for a measly R19.00, so just not worth the frustration! If it were a book that costed over a R1000.00 i could understand all the questions, but my descriptions is quite clear, i do not have time to waste running up and down for stupid questions that really were in the description already, it gets my blood boiling and i'd rather not answer as i know i will or might just say something rude. Some buyers sit all day irritating sellers with stupid questions because they have nothing better to do with their time but irritate, would be nice to have a ignore list added to the questions and answers!

Edited by DestinysAngels

RAJRULES1

I also had a similar problem when I was selling the 3 iPads I had won. One questioner asked the diagonal size of the screen and wanted it in inches. I had to search my desktop for a converter and gave him the answer. He then wanted to know if the item was original, to which I gave him a guarantee that it was. I was then asked if I would like to exchange it for a netbook (valued at half the price on BoB). He never bought the item.

But the most stupid question was " Is this item still for sale and what is it's condition?" DUH! It was for sale on BoB ofcourse, and the heading clearly stated "Brand New", which was also spelt out in numerous other places.:laugh:

Little Miss Muffet
I also had a similar problem when I was selling the 3 iPads I had won. One questioner asked the diagonal size of the screen and wanted it in inches. I had to search my desktop for a converter and gave him the answer. He then wanted to know if the item was original, to which I gave him a guarantee that it was. I was then asked if I would like to exchange it for a netbook (valued at half the price on BoB). He never bought the item.

But the most stupid question was " Is this item still for sale and what is it's condition?" DUH! It was for sale on BoB ofcourse, and the heading clearly stated "Brand New", which was also spelt out in numerous other places.:laugh:

Do you sell offhand? Off Bob? What is your tel. number? Email address? You can save Bob fees!!!

rofl.jpg.28f49e30dd69c9a3f35638456e741bf7.jpg

RAJRULES1

Selling on BoB is worth the fees. It is a much safer environment that dealing with the wide open world where every buyer wants to pay via paypal and asks for your account number, while you are supposed to ship to West Africa.

anthony03

I think it probably boils down to how much time you put into your ad.The amount of photographs dimensions etc that might avoid these questions being asked maybe !

Edited by anthony03

voldermort

I try & put as much info as possible into all my ads thus saving anybody from asking questions however when a relevant question does come through pertaining to the actual article I am selling I answer as soon as I see the question....................however do you have any idea how many questions come through that do not relate to the item the question was asked on, that do not relate to any items I am selling, people wanting to give their opinions on items I am selling, people searching for a certain item, people asking for advice on selling their items, people who have just started collecting certain items & are now wanting to know if their items have any value, people wanting to know where they can find price guides for their items..........the list goes on & on. If I were to answer all these unnecessary questions I doubt very much I would have time to list new items..........I would merely just be answering questions all day.

At the end of the day I am a seller...........if I have the time I will answer some of these very unrelated questions, if I don't have the time the questions get deleted & I will answer relevant questions only.

brands online

Then there's the ever-prevailing, consistently annoying "Can I collect?" :amazed:

This after the time has been taken to put as much information into indicating NO collections and all collection questions will be ignored.

JPBon

So far I havent had any really dumb questions, but having dealt with sales at markets etc. Im quite used to peoples really stupid comments.

RISadler

I think you are all missing the point of the original post.

From the perspective of a buyer, it is very frustrating when sellers do not answer questions. The reason are their own, but many times I have let auctions just go by because the seller did not answer my "How much for postage?" question.

Not1CentMore

I appreciate questions as they, more often than not, save on confusion somewhere 'down the road' and try to answer, given the time difference, as quickly as possible.

I do, however, find some questions quite frustrating and have deleted questions rather than answer them. A typical 'case' for delete and ignore was nine questions in an hour...same buyer, same auction:

Where are you? (Answer: I reside in the USA.)

Do you ship to South Africa? (Answer: Yes. I ship worldwide.)

Do you ship COD? (Answer: No, that is not possible.)

Can you ship overnight? (Answer: I can ship UPS, FedEx, DHL overnight, but it would be horribly expensive.)

Can I pick it up? (Answer: Are you planning a trip to the US within the next week or two?)

How can I pay? (Answer: copy/paste from auction.) I encourage you to ** Read B4 Bidding **. Most of your questions should be answered. If, after reading, you have additonal questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

How do I bid? (Deleted)

And, it went from bad to worse: After the last question, I just started deleting questions and I deleted ALL buyer's questions....and so far, no bids from this (new to BoB) buyer.

Edited by Not1CentMore

Vinyl Lady Decals

What a pain, I feel for you.

voldermort
I think you are all missing the point of the original post.

From the perspective of a buyer, it is very frustrating when sellers do not answer questions. The reason are their own, but many times I have let auctions just go by because the seller did not answer my "How much for postage?" question.

Remember it is also very frustrating for a seller receiving irrelevant or inane questions eg:

Can I collect (why yes I just put NO COLLECTIONS in my ads because I had nothing else to do at the time)

Is this item still for sale (no I secretly sold it already but just thought I'd leave the ad on BoB for the hell of it)

Can I pay by PayPal (of course you can, once again I only put No PayPal Accepted into all my ads because it was a better option than sitting twiddling my thumbs)

Do you sell books/stamps/LPs etc etc (no I dont really, I merely put these items up on BoB in the hope of giving them away for free, preferably to you)

Give me your address and I'll pop in and collect item after I win it (sure just give me a second to broadcast my address to all & sundry on my ads and never mind reverting back to NO COLLECTIONS)

How much for postage (no really it's R100.00.....the R25.00 postage I have in my ads is only there for show)

Do you know that the book you are selling is a 1910 edition (really...I didn't know.....oh my gosh I'm going to rectify my ad right this minute and change the wording from published in 1910 to published in 1910, thanks for the tip)

These are just a few of some very real questions I have received....I would suggest that buyers actually do read ads thoroughly before asking questions that are just plain ridiculous.

kebs

Yup, I'm with you there, especially with the collections part! Even though I say no collections & questions regarding collection will be deleted without being answered, I still get at least 3 or 4 a week with that request.. The best is, some of them are not even from PE!!

RISadler

Yes, yes, and yes, some/many/most buyers ask stupid questions that waste sellers' time.

But try and see it from the other perspective, not just your own. It is very frustrating when,as a buyer,pertinent questions go unanswered. Personally, if a seller does not answer my questions - especially the "How much is Postage?" (which I many times rephrase as "Please confirm postage is Rxx, as per listing.") - then I do not bid. Why not? Because if the seller is not prepared to answer questions, then how serious is the seller about actually posting (never mind adequately packaging) the item?

voldermort
Yes, yes, and yes, some/many/most buyers ask stupid questions that waste sellers' time.

But try and see it from the other perspective, not just your own. It is very frustrating when,as a buyer,pertinent questions go unanswered. Personally, if a seller does not answer my questions - especially the "How much is Postage?" (which I many times rephrase as "Please confirm postage is Rxx, as per listing.") - then I do not bid. Why not? Because if the seller is not prepared to answer questions, then how serious is the seller about actually posting (never mind adequately packaging) the item?

Yes a few times I have skipped bidding on an item because my question was not answered............ however if you refer back to my first post in this thread you will see I made it very clear that any relevant questions I receive relating to the item the question was asked on I answer as soon as I am able. There is a world of difference between a genuine question and an absolutely irrelevant question.

Also bear in mind this thread was started with the suggestion that all and any questions should be displayed on the sellers page and failure to answer any and all questions should result in a negative rating for the seller..........................I think that a number of buyers, after asking their questions and then reading these selfsame questions back again, would be more than happy to have them disappear forever.

lilythepink

I haven't had any ridiculous questions (yet) but I wonder if we shouldn't start a thread on "silly questions"? Voldermort could then write a book on them all as she has the most delightful sense of humour and I'm sure she'd sell so many copies of her book that she'd become a multi-millionaire virtually overnight!

JPBon
I haven't had any ridiculous questions (yet) but I wonder if we shouldn't start a thread on "silly questions"? Voldermort could then write a book on them all as she has the most delightful sense of humour and I'm sure she'd sell so many copies of her book that she'd become a multi-millionaire virtually overnight!

In that case we should get Mr Aerospace to write one two, I loved his humour. And Klaas47 could write one on the art of packaging.

lilythepink

When you've lived with MrAerospace as long as I have, everything about him is funny! lol

RAJRULES1

To Not1Centmore: Ha Ha Ha You should change your name to Not1questionmore:grin:

JPBon
Ha Ha Ha You should change your name to Not1questionmore:grin:

good one Raj