Sign in to follow this  
geejay50

Collectors beware - 1894 halfcrown forgery

geejay50

Hello All,

Another Chinese Forgery has popped up on ebay. This time an 1894 Halfcrown Forgery.The clue as far as I can see in this VF lustreless coin lies in the shape of the "4" , it does not curve elegantly like in the genuine coin as shown but is angular and straight.(Item No 260715847720 Seller ppwu042168 34 ratings 100% positive)

Can you collectors see anything else?

In the 12th Century, punishment for convicted coin forgers in England was that the forger's right hand was cut off. In other times, one of the forger's ears was cut off for the first offence and a second offence meant death.(Levine Pg77)

These days it is impossible to even get ebay to remove this fraudulent coin, let alone punish the perpetrator !!!

Thank heavens Bob has a person to report such items to. I think all we can do is that everyone storm this seller with as much abuse as posible to make him think twice about listing such an item.

!CBhpwIQ!Wk~$(KGrHqV,!jkE0CsEOTISBNII,4H2HQ~~_12.JPG!CBhpvbQEWk~$(KGrHqF,!jcE0DIJRP((BNII,16NC!~~_12.JPG

Edited by geejay50

geejay50

Hello all collectors,

There was another 1893 Halfcrown with a similar angular fake "3" sold last week on ebay with several bids.It seems the Chinese make mistakes with rounded letters like 3s and 4s

Be careful , if it looks too good to be true, it isnt.

Geejay

Edited by geejay50

Veto111

There was another 1893 Halfcrown with a similar angular fake "3" sold last week on ebay with several bids.It seems the Chinese make mistakes with rounded letters like 3s and 4s

Hi geejay

A quick question, are these coins meant to be sold as replicas of the original coins or are they there to deceive?

I ask this because I have seen a fake halfcrown which had a replica stamp on it PLUS it seems you have to be a really dumb forger to make a mistake with the 3 or the 4. Can they really be that stupid or are they taking advantage of the situation.

Regards

Veto111

kyle2

I tried searching for this item using the item code you listed above and came up with a korean coin under that code from the same seller. However the seller is from China, so one has to draw ones own conclusions as to the authenticity a ZAR coins being sold from China of all places. The incorrect 4 is a dead giveaway.

geejay50

Hi Kyle,

It would be unreasonable to tar all mainland Chinese sellers with the same brush and there are definitely very decent respectable people there amongst the forgers who even will tell you that a ZAR Crown is a copy.

Incidentally watch out for inappropriate lustre in the fields where the coin has apparent wear on the hair or elsewhere , is a gram too light or too heavy.

The good guys are people like jujianhong (I bought an NGC graded 1932 Southern Rhodesian Proof Set from him at a bagain for my collection), forever (does his own grading but doesnt explicitly tell you that a cleaned coin is cleaned). There is also a Professor at one of their universities who sells coins. He is OK too.

Chinese buyers are quite active buying African coins and they have bought especially Southern Rhodesian Silver coins from me on ebay in numbers. Their economy is powerful and they are making their presence felt.

Regards

Geejay

Edited by geejay50

Look or Buy

I hate replicas !!!!!!