Sign in to follow this  
d_ronne

"Antique" Silver - Serviette Rings. Help with possible value.

d_ronne    10
d_ronne

Hi can anybody give me an idea of the value of these serviette rings. They have been in the famaily for more than 80 years. Believe they are possibly from Germany. They have the following stamped in the inside (believe it to be hall marked) - EBAS.They are still in their original box and have never been used. Much appreciated. Thanks Dan

438110_110101144200_100_4077.jpg

Little Miss Muffet    20
Little Miss Muffet

EBAS is not a hallmark. I have no idea what it stands for but I think these may be plated.

English hallmarks have symbols like a lion,anchor etc. German hallmarks would have symbols as well

The fact that this is marked on the inside also indicates it is plate, though not a hard and fast rule but most hallmarks are found on the front on the main body of an article.

If these were silver they would be worth round R350 for the 2 add another R100 to R200 for the lovely enamel bird design--so R450 to R550

If they are plate and the plate is in good condition I would say R150 for the 2.

See what other users have to say.

d_ronne    10
d_ronne

Hi Geewhizz, Thanks for the information. Regards Dan

mellowred    10
mellowred

Hi Geewhizz,

As a rookie who is fascinated by anything old, it takes me hours to research something that looks like it may have value. I've learnt a few bit in the last year, but with so many different items around I seem to know a little about everything and nothing about anything.

I always read your comments, and have learnt quite a bit from you. (Thank you :smile:)

I'm curious as to how your acquired all your knowledge. Did it come from a full time profecssional occupation or from learning as you went along?

Little Miss Muffet    20
Little Miss Muffet
Hi Geewhizz,

As a rookie who is fascinated by anything old, it takes me hours to research something that looks like it may have value. I've learnt a few bit in the last year, but with so many different items around I seem to know a little about everything and nothing about anything.

I always read your comments, and have learnt quite a bit from you. (Thank you :smile:)

I'm curious as to how your acquired all your knowledge. Did it come from a full time profecssional occupation or from learning as you went along?

I think all one needs is a feel for old things and the research follows.

It all started with me in 1986 when my step-mother-in-law died.She was an avid collector and we had to clear her house. It took us 3 months.

(That is what I call my opportunity that knocked but once) She kept everything. We even found clothes dating back to the 1940's and her childhood dolls.This set me off on doll collecting but I dont collect them much these days.Guess I just got tired of the hobby. It is always exciting to find old toys though.

I had to sell a number of items and started marketing.The bug bit and I marketed until mid 2008 and only left because I was getting too busy on Bob after joining in October 2007 and starting to sell in 2008.

I still learn something new everyday and I guess the knowlege comes with trial and error..

Read the article "The whiz of collectables" on Bidorbuy.

If you need to get an idea of what something is worth please ask on the forum. I am sure other bobbers can help if I cant.

Sometimes I think the R1 auctions can answer your questions at the end of the day.

Edited by geewhizz

mellowred    10
mellowred

Thanks for the very interesting read. I can see that actual physical contact with other collectors/buyers/sellers is important and that I need to get out there to gain real experience.

I really only had a garage full of old stuff that Hennie collected over the years - he used to buy a lot at auctions and markets and when he moved from Kimberley they were all just packed in boxes.

I've always had a passion for old things and love researching. But till now I've restricted myself to internet information, which is very limiting as seeing and being able to feel the quality of items makes a huge difference.

Sadly, Hennie got fed up and took a whole lot to the auction house in early December so I don't have as much stuff now. (Only half a garage ....LOL)

I'd love to be able to give up the day jobs and concentrate on researching and listing but that is not possible right now. But I will make the effort to get to some markets.

Thanks a mill

Mandy