Sign in to follow this  
Miss Jewels

Verified overseas sellers

Miss Jewels

I would like to direct this question to the BoB staff as I'm still unsure as to the regulations and requirements. I was under the impression you had to have a SA ID book and an SA bank account, amongst others, to be a verified seller. How is it possible for a seller located in Hong Kong to be such?

RISadler

I agree, especially since, and I quote from the Buyer Protection Programme:

... the bidorbuy Buyer Protection Programme does NOT cover the following situations:

5. Payments sent to any international location ...;

8. Imported/dropshipped items sold by Verified Users.

qball

Many sellers are ex pats living and working abroad, so they still qualify. bidorbuy, may also, within our discretion, award Verified User status to a user based on other criteria. But generally speaking, the majority of these sellers are South African citizens, with local bank accounts, ID books etc. The Buyer Protection Programme is designed around fraud, not shipping or lost/damaged/stolen parcels from overseas sellers. Payments made via Moneygram and Western Union would fall into this category, as this is risky and stopping such payments is virtually impossible, so we will not cover such losses - it's like paying cash to someone without being able to trace the payments or where it goes to. Point 8 - again, there is a risk of items not being delivered through no fault of the seller, so due to such issues, we will not cover theft of items or missing shipments that are imported/drop shipped. Nor is it something we can control as the seller is based overseas and there can be problems with such shipments.

RISadler

Sorry, qball, but for one do not accept your explanation. My reasons are:

1. The fact that you may "award Verified User status to a user based on other criteria" means that we, the buyers, are not completely sure what a "Verified User/Seller" means;
  2. The "Buyer Protection Programme" is negated through both points 5 and 8 of said programme by point 1 above.

qball

You don't have to accept it... :awesome:

It means the following: we have satisfied ourselves that the seller is reliable and reputable and will go the extra mile to assure there are no issues with either their goods or deliveries (have a long and established sales history or track record, resolves issues promptly, amongst other things). In most cases it also means we have verified their identity, their credit record and if they have a criminal record...

Being Verified gives a buyer peace of mind that bidorbuy has checked the seller out, it's not just about claiming a refund should something go wrong i.t.o. fraud. Unfortunately there are restrictions and limitations to the BPP, these are some of them, and are in place due to the reasons above. It also goes some way in building trust between buyer and an overseas seller, as many buyers are sceptical of overseas sellers, and on the whole, the majority of them are just as reliable and trustworthy as the local sellers.

:wondering::amazed: :grin:

Edited by qball

RISadler

From the Verified User page:

To Become a Verified User You Must:

3. Have a South African Identity document.

But you also say that:

bidorbuy, may also, within our discretion, award Verified User status to a user based on other criteria.
Above creates doubt. Doubt whether a particular "Verified User" is a South African citizen. Doubt in the "Verified User" programme...

As to:

Not sure why you are still on the site if you disagree and dislike everything we do...
Similar words have been spoken to me by seriously more prominent persons and I take it as a compliment that I'm doing stuff, like changing the world!

qball

Sorry if it creates doubt... Regardless of who is Verified, the BPP covers fraud, and there are instances where cover will not be provided. That is clear enough in the terms. It also signifies that bidorbuy believes the seller to be reliable, trustworthy and reputable.

In my several years of employment at bidorbuy, we have only ever given Verified status to 1 non SA citizen - this was a top management decision, based on the seller's efforts in resolving certain situations, going way beyond what is required of them to resolve the situation. 99.99% of Verified Users are SA residents or citizens and the chances of a foreign seller becoming Verified are very slim, almost non existent. Again, an SA ID and bank details etc. are required to become Verified. Generally speaking, if the seller does not have any of these we cannot perform, ID, criminal and credit checks on them.

Ouch, that hurt - "seriously more prominent persons"... :worried: Glad to see I am not the only one who has questioned this... :suspicious:

Best of luck changing the world :grin:

RISadler
Best of luck changing the world.

Thanks, for slowly but surely I'm getting there.