Sign in to follow this  
BGR Distribution

Seller Protection

BGR Distribution

I recently sold a product on Bob, ive been out of the game for a few months now and wanted to get things up and running again.

The sale and credit payment went through quickly and communication from the seller was very good, I was sceptical as he was a first time buyer and the item was selling for R4000 but I decided to process everything as the payment had cleared and been transferred to my bank account before shipping.

Now 3 weeks have passed, BoB contacted me telling me that the payment has been reversed and they will have to reverse the payment to me, now I'm R4000 out and they tell me they are not liable and I must take the case up with the buyer and lay a charge against him at the police station.

Surely there should be some protection or law against charging the money back against me when BoB where responsible for the transaction and confirmed payment to me weeks ago.

Howard Neill

That is bad. I will watch the official reply with interest. It is one of the reasons why I am reluctant to accept credit card sales.

JPBon

Ive had this happen to me a few times before elsewhere....its hell trying to get your money back. Fight with the credit card company.

Vinyl Lady Decals

This is fraud and the buyer is the one liable.

You need to lay a charge of credit card fraud with the police and forward the case details to BoB who will assist where they can.

What he probably did was reverse the credit card transaction which can happen up to six weeks after the transaction took place as far as I'm aware.

If this is the case it was deliberate on the part of the buyer and BoB is not at fault.

The transaction would not have cleared if there was a problem with the credit card initially.

MacMuffin

Although I don't have all the details, looking at our audit-logs, the buyer in question used a stolen credit card / credit card details. @BGR Distribution - please speak to our security team on Tuesday if they have not provided you with the necessary details of the buyer to assist you with criminal charges.

qball

Dear BGR Distribution

Unfortunately at this time of the year there are a number of people who try their luck with stolen credit cards or credit card numbers. As this is an online transaction, we cannot see the cardholder or the card used - it is called a "card not present" transaction, and is sometimes difficult to prevent or detect. The card used may not have been reported as stolen or the the real cardholder may not have known that his card details were compromised, so the transaction would have gone through. The actual cardholder was probably alerted to the purchases on the card or checked his statement and did not recognise the purchases, thus contacted his bank and they issued a "chargeback" as the card was used without their authorisation or consent.

As a bobPay credit card user, you did unfortunately agree to the terms of use here - bobPay User Agreement, where you assume all liability and responsibility for reversals.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused, please contact our security team for further assistance.

Thank you

Cuan

BGR Distribution

I will be taking this up with the authorities,

I feel that sellers need more protection these days, maybe through a verification systems that requires the buyer to reply to an sms or phone call from BOB so we know the cellphone they use actually works as well as recording ID details from all new buyers who pay via credit card.

@qball, now that the monies have been charged back and the SNC has been processed, will I receive a refund on the bobPay credit card commission for the transaction?

qball

This does not happen often and to institute barriers to entry and time consuming registrations, will negatively impact the site on the whole. SMS will not guarantee that a charge back will not occur, nor will ID details. With ID theft so prevalent in our society there is no guarantee that these restrictions will be effective. Charge backs are isolated and we catch most of the high value fraudulent credit card purchases, unfortunately some do slip through as the cardholder is never present when utilising the bobPay service.

Unfortunately the bobPay fees are non refundable.

sungems

Apart from the fact that the transaction can be reversed due to a number of reasons because BOB’s transactions is not 3D secure I have had the following BAD experience with BOB pay therefore I do not accept BOB pay as a payment method

I bought an item from another seller, pay for it via BOB Pay and used the correct reference. I forwarded the payment info to the seller and after a few days I still did not hear a single word from the seller (not even a congratulations message) I contacted the seller again. The seller informed me no payment was received and BOB PAY never fails and if payment were made by me she would have received it. I again provided her with the payment detail but she filed a SNC against the sale the day thereafter.

I contact BOB they informed me the following “As soon as i have feedback from our accounts department we will attend to the SNC, we have been having a problem with Standard bank allocations, it is nobody's fault it is a technical error unfortunately.”

After another week the SNC were retracted as the payment somehow were sorted out between BOB and the seller.

How this sellers reacted are another story not intended for this thread but if this should happen between me and my buyers even if I did believe them (I never post an item before the funds show in my statement, on BOBpay I would suppose showing on the system) how can I accept them not to give me a negative rating even if the problem were not on my side but on BOB’s/the Bank admin side or who ever’s side. I therefore will NEVER use this as a payment method

JPBon

Sungems Cuan already answered this when you posted it in another thread: I quote:

Dear Sungems

I would like to comment on your experience, whilst regrettable, is most definitely not the norm with bobPay. 99% of the transactions are processed without any problems, the issue with Standard Bank could happen to any seller at any time, not just a bobPay issue. Unfortunately we cannot control or prevent certain things the banks do, including back dating payments, delaying payments etc. This is also not an issue with bob's admin but was caused by Standard Banks systems and unpredictability with payments. For example, this December there were many issues with Standard Bank payments, taking on average 2-3 days to clear, this was due to Standard Banks inability to process the payments quickly and the delays came from their clearing side, not the bobPay system nor the bob staff. These delays would have affected any user who banked with Standard Bank, over this period. Standard Bank even admitted to bob users that the delays were caused from their side due to the high volumes they were experiencing due to the festive season.

I would also like to correct your statement regarding bobPay - the risk of reversal only applies to bobPay credit card payments, not bobPay EFT payments, the risk of reversal is almost impossible.

Kind regards

Cuan

MacMuffin

With regards to 3-D Secure, we see this as a potential drop-off in legit buyers completing their payment. If you look at some sites using 3-D Secure, you will have noticed, that after providing your credit card information, the browser is redirected to a different secure domain (for us in SA this is typically BankServ). Some users will find this confusing and just drop off, others will not necessarily remember their PIN and also drop off and others (who are not familiar with the 3-D Secure programme) will be reluctant to re-enter all their credit card information, especially since the browser redirected to another domain.

The majority of credit card holders will however not have a 3-D Secure PIN and will then have to undergo the registration process, which although very simple, can be quite error prone. If you do happen to forget your Secure PIN, you will spend some time with your bank's card division to reset it.

If stolen credit card details have not been actived for 3-D Secure, absolutely nothing stops a fraudster from activating it on your behalf. Most banks require all the card details (number, name, expiry and CVV) which the fraudster already has. In some instances an email address and/or an ID number is required - both details very easy to come by (see Nedbanks requirements: Nedbank - 3D Secure-Online Shopping - Whats New - About Us).

We will implement 3-D secure in the next few months for transactions exceeding a certain "floor-limit", but I personally believe that 3-D Secure ends up providing little security and will be an easy way for the banks to pass liability directly to the cardholder (after all, it's your 3-D Secure PIN and I doubt that banks give a hoot if that PIN was only created a few minutes before the fraudster completed your transaction).

qball
Apart from the fact that the transaction can be reversed due to a number of reasons because BOB’s transactions is not 3D secure I have had the following BAD experience with BOB pay therefore I do not accept BOB pay as a payment method

I bought an item from another seller, pay for it via BOB Pay and used the correct reference. I forwarded the payment info to the seller and after a few days I still did not hear a single word from the seller (not even a congratulations message) I contacted the seller again. The seller informed me no payment was received and BOB PAY never fails and if payment were made by me she would have received it. I again provided her with the payment detail but she filed a SNC against the sale the day thereafter.

I contact BOB they informed me the following “As soon as i have feedback from our accounts department we will attend to the SNC, we have been having a problem with Standard bank allocations, it is nobody's fault it is a technical error unfortunately.”

After another week the SNC were retracted as the payment somehow were sorted out between BOB and the seller.

How this sellers reacted are another story not intended for this thread but if this should happen between me and my buyers even if I did believe them (I never post an item before the funds show in my statement, on BOBpay I would suppose showing on the system) how can I accept them not to give me a negative rating even if the problem were not on my side but on BOB’s/the Bank admin side or who ever’s side. I therefore will NEVER use this as a payment method

Thank you for your post.

You are referring to bobPay Credit card payments, not EFT's. 3D secure does not provide 100% protection and a charge back can still be issued. It is important to differentiate between the two, and the issue you had has nothing to do with credit card payments. You can offer bobPay EFT without offering bobPay credit card, and there are no risks involved, as long as we send confirmation that the funds have been received, you could consider it the same as the money being in your bank account.

The reason the seller did not contact you or confirm payment is based on the fact that Standard Bank did not clear the payment immediately, even though you paid promptly and with the correct reference - they then only allocated the payment later but back dated it, so we had to manually go through all the payments again to find it. The seller technically did not receive payment at the time and the system could not auotmatically allocate and match it due to the problem with Standard Bank, the bobPay system did not fail. Eventually we managed to track the payment after Standard Bank had back dated it and thus the Snc was retracted. This was not your fault nor the seller's. If a buyer did give you a negative based on an error like this we could quite easily remove it and explain to the buyer why this happened. These things happen, they could also happen even if you accepted payment directly. Buyers still use the wrong references, even if they pay you directly or through bobPay, it doesn't matter what option they use, it still happens and will continue to happen, through no fault of yours or bidorbuy's.

This also boils down to communication, this can quite easily be explained if all parties communicate and try resolve it. I will also ask you to refer back to the Help section here for more details on bobPay and the advantages - Help - Selling - Payment Options