Sign in to follow this  
kebs

BOB handing out cell number?

kebs    10
kebs

I do not have my cell number listed anywhere on my items / checkout.. This is due to the hours I work & the fact that I am not allowed to carry a phone at work, so getting hold of me when I'm awake & able to talk is highly unlikely! So some-one buys a replacement cellphone housing from me, misundertands & thinks they are buying the actual phone.. Instead of emailing me, she phones bid or buy, who give her my number?? :wondering: I can understand if she had emailed me & I hadn't replied, but surely if I wanted people to have my number, I would put it on the checkout info.. Can some-one please tell me why my number was given out? :mad: I would appreciate it if this doesn't happen again please...

Footnote : After waking me up (I'm working nights), & me explaining what the listing says in my best possible not-so-awake-voice, the buyer hangs up on me before I get a chance to ask if she wants to return the item then...

Edited by kebs

BumbleBabe    10
BumbleBabe

That is just not right. I also have no cell number on mine. I hate phones and my cell is personal and only there for emergencies. You will not get me on my cell if I dont have you on my contacts. I have had my cell number now for over 10 years and for some reason all kinds have it and call when ever they feel like it. We have to keep business and personal time apart or you will lose your head.

qball    11
qball

Hi Kebs

According to the buyer, they did email you and had no response thus they contacted us. We may, at our discretion, give out further contact details should a customer of yours requires it.

We do apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Kind regards

Cuan

kebs    10
kebs

Hi Cuan..

I have not received any email at all from this buyer.. I pride myself on replying to emails ASAP, even it means stumbling through half asleep to check emails & questions..

bekka87266    10
bekka87266

I agree that you should be given notice of, in case of emergency or urgent conditions that the Site gives out further contact detail to assist the users in anyway. My experience is, unless they really feel like end of the world is crashing in, in this country where cell phone rates are sooooo skyhigh, people don't phone unnecessarily. I had my cell no. listed since I was a member and only received like, 5 calls, from buyers.

As long as people don't expect me to answer my phone at 3a.m, I am more than happy to be more reachable to my buyers though.

P.S. I had a buyer's question coming in at 2 a.m. last night, do people really stay up so late just to shop? Jeeez....

JPBon    10
JPBon

you would be surprised who is awake at those hours, I find listing things faster at night.

kebs    10
kebs

I just find it strange that when reading through older posts on the forums with scams, bidorbuy won't give out the contact info they have on record for the alleged scammer - the police need to request it.. But one buyer claims to have emailed me & requests my info & gets it immediately... :wondering:

qball    11
qball

Unfortunately at this time of the year we have huge problems with buyers and sellers not being contactable. Sellers go on leave and buyers cannot get hold of them, so we are unfortunately forced to give out additional details. With regards to fraudsters we release the details including address and ID numbers, we would not do this under these circumstances, just a contact number.

kebs    10
kebs

Hi Cuan.. I understand if the buyer claimed to have emailed me & I wasn't replying, bidorbuy also have a responsibility to their buyers as well.. I still haven't received any email from her though.. I have asked if she wants to return the item & also asked if she can forward the email she says she sent me that I never replied to - have had no response.. Was just quite confusing to be woken up with a phonecall from a buyer when my number isn't listed.. Leave - what's that?? :razz:

brands online    10
brands online

Hi Kebs

According to the buyer, they did email you and had no response thus they contacted us. We may, at our discretion, give out further contact details should a customer of yours requires it.

We do apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Kind regards

Cuan

Unfortunately at this time of the year we have huge problems with buyers and sellers not being contactable. Sellers go on leave and buyers cannot get hold of them, so we are unfortunately forced to give out additional details. With regards to fraudsters we release the details including address and ID numbers, we would not do this under these circumstances, just a contact number.

Hold on, wait a minute, stop right there...:cheesy: It's not only this time of the year. I've had numerous problems with the same thing throughout the year. I can understand buyers getting worried if there's a reason to be worried, but BOB has handed my number out as well on many, many occassions even after I've spoken to them about it on many, many occassions and apparently there is a 'note on the system' not to give the number out unnecessarily.

I've also been told things like buyer emailed and no response. BOB takes upto 18 hours to reply a mail, sometimes even longer, but that for another time. My number's been handed out to people who've mailed a half an hour ago. At times for utter nonsense like shipping charges clearly indicated on the ad. I have other business interests which take up my time too. Where's the 'discretion' in that?

While I can understand it's that festive time of the year and noone wants to be a spoilsport, and also that over at BOB staff are 'never' wrong, fact of the matter is you should take it on the chin that there is a problem here and rather sort it out than making apologies that I hear every single time this happens. :rolleyes:

RISadler    10
RISadler
We may, at our discretion, give out further contact details should a customer of yours requires it.

According to both the "Privacy Statement" and the "Terms and Conditions of This Site":

"If you successfully sell a product or successfully win an Auction, or are the runner up in an Auction where the winning bidder defaults, then your name, email address, phone number and fax number, payment details including credit card information and mailing address may be passed onto the other party involved in that Auction in accordance with the Terms and Conditions of Use of this Site."

But the scariest is this, from the T&C:

"We have an absolute discretion to change the terms of this Agreement at any time."

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest

Hi!

Sorry to say but BOB is NOT to blame.

Why? A few tips..?

Do NOT give BOB a phone or cell number you deem private as-for; "for friends and family only" If you did and feels violated, just buy a new simcard for the private "line!" If you do - it's plain foolish ~ ill-conceived man! Think...

Most of us do not work for the mafia nor are part of some royal family and, very unlikely will trade with them... When I buy from Clicks, GAME etc., I simply assume that their number will be in a telephone directory. Same on BOB!

You get all sorts of very unpleasant people... Here, most are buyers. A fact. Make sure that those grunters can contact you - otherwise you may get a neutral or negative rating.

The bottom line is that commonsense tells me that BOB expect you as a seller to give a phone number to get hold of you - not to sabotage your privacy.

Honestly? I think you did it to yourself - not BOB... Or is it too farfetched? :oh:

brands online    10
brands online
Hi!

Sorry to say but BOB is NOT to blame.

Why? A few tips..?

Do NOT give BOB a phone or cell number you deem private as-for; "for friends and family only" If you did and feels violated, just buy a new simcard for the private "line!" If you do - it's plain foolish ~ ill-conceived man! Think...

Most of us do not work for the mafia nor are part of some royal family and, very unlikely will trade with them... When I buy from Clicks, GAME etc., I simply assume that their number will be in a telephone directory. Same on BOB!

You get all sorts of very unpleasant people... Here, most are buyers. A fact. Make sure that those grunters can contact you - otherwise you may get a neutral or negative rating.

The bottom line is that commonsense tells me that BOB expect you as a seller to give a phone number to get hold of you - not to sabotage your privacy.

Honestly? I think you did it to yourself - not BOB... Or is it too farfetched? :oh:

Uhhhhmmmm, everyone at BOB constantly tells me "for internal use only". It takes some 'common sense' and 'discretion' when it comes to things like "I won an item yesterday, I can't get hold of the seller" They fail to mention and of course before handing out the number staff at BOB don't bother to confirm that the item was won at 23h30 the previous night, it's 9 o clock the next morning! Nor that the buyer wants to know what the shipping charge is on the item they've just bought or if the item they won last night has already been sent cos they want the tracking no.!

Also, I have 5 businesses. The 'important' and 'necessary' people can get hold of me 24/7 on my mobile. The rest... can use Email! Are you saying you expect me to walk around with 5 or 6 phones when each business has been constructed to avoid the use of my mobile?

Yes, a telephone number is neccessary so 'BOB' can get hold of you not ridiculous buyers with ridiculous questions/requests/demands.

Utter nonsense.:amazed:

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest

OK. So, what is your "Utter nonsense?" Stubbornness? [LOL!]

Accordng to both; Discernment and Wisdom this issue can be very easily fixed...

Do you agree: "It is foolish to give your private number to BOB?" It's not wise to find reasons to justify nor compliment a poor decision.

Honestly, you can buy a zillion PEP-simcards...:amuse: Why give your one and only "private" one to BOB? That is truly plain foolish.

PS

brands online asks: Are you saying you expect me to walk around with 5 or 6 phones when each business has been constructed to avoid the use of my mobile?

Absurd and a self-incriminating question...!:rolleyes: LOL! You should not ask me to fix your problems... You should plan; get your act together before getting to that chaotic stage.

Edited by Edmund1000
PS

kebs    10
kebs

I think you misunderstand Edmund1000.. I have no problem whatsoever with bidorbuy handing out my phone number if it's a justified problem. However, this buyer has never emailed me as she claimed to have & I have specifically said in my checkout that contact is via email only. I find it a bit of a cheek that this buyer decides to bypass that because she didn't read properly & then lies to BOB to get my cell number.. & hangs up on me to top it all off before I've even finished talking! There are a lot of sellers here who do not list their number for various reasons - no doubt after their first buyer called them at 2AM to find out something silly.. I have other numbers, but gave BOB my main number as I don't answer the other phones if I don't know the number phoning because no-one that's not in my phone book has the number. So if I were to give them that number, it would look like I'm dodging BOB's calls because I wouldn't answer an unknown number & never carry those phones with me anyway.. So no, I don't think it's foolish to give BOB my private number.. I would like to emphasise that given that this is the very first time it has ever happened since I've been trading on BOB, clearly my buyers are happy with my response time & answers to their emails, so a phone number is not necessary..

ClickandShip    10
ClickandShip

The other important thing to factor into here is this...

If you constantly communicate via Cellphone with buyers and not email and a dispute arises, what proof have you regarding what was said and when?

As with any other business, BoB is a Trading field, protect and cover yourself everywhere, there will ALWAYS be 1 or 2 buyers that will claim you ''Promised'' this or that...

kebs    10
kebs

Very true! I have found that with the introduction of the BOB message system, buyers don't have a comeback when they claim something & I refer them to the email sent through the system. I like to have everything on paper, so to speak.. One buyer claimed he had never heard from me, until I told him to refer to the message system as it was on record & he could confirm with BOB if he wanted to.. He never replied strangely enough... :hm:

RISadler    10
RISadler

And what is a buyer going to say to BoB when they can't contact me on my phone, because it is switched off - as it usually is in the evenings and weekends? There's a reason I do not give out my number nor want buyers to contact me on my phone.

qball    11
qball

Please take note as per our privacy policy:

16.1 Information Collection And Use

16.1.1 When we collect personal information about you we will collect this information from you lawfully and fairly and not in any unreasonably intrusive way. You acknowledge and agree that we may collect this information from you in connection with or as a consequence of your use of our site, including, without limitation, the supply of the online trading services to you.

16.1.2 We are the sole owner of the information collected on this site. We will not sell, share, or rent this information to others in any way other than as disclosed in this privacy statement.

16.1.3 We collect information from our users at several different points on our site. We collect information about your bidding, buying and selling activities if you choose to participate on our site as a result of you engaging in these activities, and also from ratings and comments received from other users regarding you engaging in those activities. We also collect information from any form of correspondence, such as emails and telephone conversations, from you or from a third party about you. We may also collect information from you if you choose to partake in special promotions with third parties on our site. This information will be shared with that third party, but only with your consent and for the purpose of that promotion.

16.1.4 We will also collect financial information about you if you choose to bid for certain goods and services on our site, if you sell on our site, and also as set out in the Terms and Conditions of Use of this Site. We do charge fees for selling, and your payment information will be used to charge you accordingly. We may pass your payment information onto recognised partners in certain cases, such as for charging you for selling and in those auctions where the services of shipping and delivery or fulfilment companies are offered to our users, but only in cases where our users have requested those services from us. Other information that we collect is outlined below.

16.2 Registration

16.2.1 In order to use our site, you must first complete the registration form. When you register we collect personal information such as your name, address, email address, telephone and fax numbers. This information is used to contact you about the services on our site for which you have expressed interest. We also collect additional information (such as “How did you hear about us?”, your interests), and unique identifiers (such as your company name and VAT number, if applicable). All information that is mandatory is made known on the registration form and is necessary to complete the registration process. You are encouraged to provide the additional, optional information specified on the registration form so we can provide you with a more personalized experience on our site.

16.2.2 We may, at our sole discretion, request additional personal information from you. You may be required to confirm such details as your identity, address and contact information for security and verification reasons. This information may include copies of ID documents, passports, utility bills, licenses, rights to sell or distribute a particular item or product, legal or financial documentation, or any other documentation related to your use of this website (but not limited to this).

16.5 Sharing

16.5.1 If you successfully sell a product or successfully win an Auction, or are the runner up in an Auction where the winning bidder defaults, then your name, email address, phone number and fax number, payment details including credit card information and mailing address may be passed onto the other party involved in that Auction in accordance with the Terms and Conditions of Use of this Site. For example, if you bid on an Auction and win the Auction, your details will be passed onto the Seller of that item for auction. Similarly, if you are selling an item on Auction, your details will be passed onto the winning bidder of your Auction.

16.5.2 We will share aggregated demographic information with our business partners and advertisers. When we do, you will not be personally identifiable, and your personal information will only be used as part of an aggregated compilation of information.

16.5.3 We will release information about you when required by law to do so. Otherwise, we may release information about you, at our sole discretion, when we believe, that such release of information is reasonably necessary or appropriate to:

(a) enforce or apply the Terms and Conditions of Use of this Site; or

(b) to protect the rights, property or safety of bidorbuy, our users or others.

16.5.4 You also agree that we will not be liable to you or any other person for any loss, damage, expense, or other amounts incurred, savings foregone, or hardship suffered, by any person however arising (including where the cause cannot be determined), through the release of your personal details, in the event of (a) and (b) above.

16.5.5 We will also share information, including personally identifiable information about you, with our parent, subsidiaries and related entities in order to provide you with an international trading service. All these entities will treat your information according to this privacy policy and in the same manner they would treat their own users’ information.