Sign in to follow this  
FromSa

Drop-Shippers Must be Banned!

FromSa

I do not see the point of drop-shippers and they are just creating problems for us buyers on BoB. We are getting charged exorbitant postage fees, customs duties and having to wait for weeks for our goods. I do not have a problem with importers but they must have the stock on hand before they list on BoB. If I want to buy direct from overseas then I will find the supplier myself and use paypal and be guaranteed of receiving ALL my money back in the case of a disputed sale. I have first hand experience of this and I can testify to the speed and professionalism your complaints are treated overseas. DROP-SHIPPERS MUST BE BANNED ON BOB or at the very least be identified obtrusively. :mad:

BumbleBabe

I agree with you 100%, this is why I have suggested that a the very least dropshippers should have an icon so buyers know it is drop-shipping.

Miss Jewels

Hi FromSa. Not all drop shippers are baddies! I'm also an authorized drop shipper, but I carry all my stock. The best advice is to ask the seller the question if the stock is on hand. If not, please do not bid. You'll be upsetting yourself. The same goes for postage, Those with ridiculously high postages costs I will not support and I urge others to also not support them. This is the only way we'll be doing a decent clean-up of members on BoB.

Miss Jewels
I agree with you 100%, this is why I have suggested that a the very least dropshippers should have an icon so buyers know it is drop-shipping.

Hi BumbleBabe. Yes I agree too, but we will still be having the "baddies" that we're actually trying to eliminate. I've also asked BoB admin to revise their authorized drop-shippers who are abusing the system and delete them from this privilaged option. Once the icon is enabled, I think many user will be more comfortable when browsing items.

qball

Unfortunately we will not be banning drop shipping as there are many reputable and reliable sellers who do offer this service. This is a reality and is not going to go away, so we have to deal with it. We will also not be creating an icon to identify such sellers, it is up to the buyer to read the shipping description and the seller to state this in their shipping area. We will continue to try monitor these sellers but we cannot always guarantee what they say is true or that they have stock available. Miss Jewels gives some good advice above and would advise buyers to follow the same advice.

FromSa

Miss Jewels how can you be a drop-shipper when you carry all your stock? I thought drop-shippers were those sellers that had items delivered direct from overseas to the buyer? :wondering:

Miss Jewels

Hi FromSa. The (correct) drop-shippers are supposed to make use of this system as you understand it. However, I have registered as I list some of my items when they're in transit from FedEx CT depot to my office - I'm advised a day in advance of the delivery. This is purely to protect myself. I do not often use this function as I have over 3000 other items to choose from. Bob is also aware of this. As I thrive on customer satisfaction, I prefer to see the item myself to inspect quality before it being posted off.

AndreComputer

Please define dropshipping : The way I see it if a seller Sells Items and he /she does not have it in his personal stock at his advertised location he or she is drop shipping .

I wonder why BOB does not want to introduce a Icon?.At the old end it is to educate your clients .A business is about your clients .If your clients feel unhappy they are going to go to another supplier . I Personally made a list of dropshippers and I refuse to buy from them.On a bid that I've won recently I've found that the dealer that is located a few km from me does not keep stock but also make use of his ''warehouse'' in another city.It all seems like hogwash to me to inflate postage charges.

Goods from China and certain eastern countries is really the pits and not worth the money you paid for it ,and neither the overinflated postage . Have a merry Christmas all

Vinyl Lady Decals

Hi AndreComputer

I think the reason why BoB doesn't want to introduce an icon is that buyers will intentionally not even look at these seller's listings and so the sellers will be at a disadvantage compared to other sellers on the site. This can be seen as being unfair as they pay the same fees as everybody else, so should have the same privileges as everybody else.

Miss Jewels

Tananka, I agree 100%. Buyers (including myself) must be forced to read the whole auction in order to eliminate any future problems. I had a buyer who looked at a picture, bought the ring at R250.00 and then realised it was white gold plated and not a diamond (although very clearly stated) and then requested his money back (which I gave). All because he did not read the auction description fully. An icon next to my name would disadvantage me as I actually carry my stock and use this only as an emergency. I think it would be important that sellers clearly and boldly specify they are drop-shippers and do not have stock on hand. Should they not advertise this properly or use "hidden" wording, they can be reported to BoB who should then issue a warning. The same goes for postage. Just my thoughts today.

Hi AndreComputer

I think the reason why BoB doesn't want to introduce an icon is that buyers will intentionally not even look at these seller's listings and so the sellers will be at a disadvantage compared to other sellers on the site. This can be seen as being unfair as they pay the same fees as everybody else, so should have the same privileges as everybody else.

qball

Correct, that is just one of the reasons. Buyers must read the description, shipping and payment options - that is why it is there. Sellers are obligated to describe their item accurately including shipping - the more detail - the easier it is for the buyer to make an informed decision.

RISadler

What if the "dropshipper" does not provide said "required" details for us to identify him/her by as a dropshipper?

What if we Q&A an "is the item in stock" and the seller lies?

qball

Well, that is not on. So you would need to report it and we would take the necessary action.

Asha Craft Jewellery

I know you're all probably already with your families, but Cuan this is for you. Why on earth has StorminaTcup not changed a single listing regarding their false dropshipping charges? I see more and more new items listed by them and it's still the same charges: R290 per gold ring and R145 per goldplated ring. What is going on???

lilythepink
I know you're all probably already with your families, but Cuan this is for you. Why on earth has StorminaTcup not changed a single listing regarding their false dropshipping charges? I see more and more new items listed by them and it's still the same charges: R290 per gold ring and R145 per goldplated ring. What is going on???

Good question, Asha Craft - and a request to Cuan which I second. If YOU can sell your rings and charge reasonable postage, then so should this seller!

ATA STAMP CENTRE

HI

This seller was supposedly issued a warning and instructed to change their shipping costs-Does a warning from bob mean nothing and sellers can ignore this with disdain!!.All this has been discussed before in another thread and i state again the obvious,the seller can only offer R1 specials if they can make their money form postage-Normal priced items with no listing fees will not be sold at the quantities they currently are-I could understand bob allowing this if they were promotional listing fees applied and they would then make money off the listing fees but as these are just mostly R1 auctions with no listing fees there is no profit for bob to allow thisas 5c commission would need thousands sold daily to be worthwhile.

Also there is the small matter of all the snc to be handled by bob staff which are due to buyers not being aware of the postage when bidding and then not concluding the sale-At the end of it all i dont see bob making any sort of profit from this seller and that is the whole point of their business so why allow it.Imagine if every seller started doing this and bobs income dried up to nothing???

neil

AndreComputer

Just add droppshippers to your own private list next to your screen.If they decide to sell something local ,well it's their loss I won't be buying from them.I used to buy from some of the people that do dropshipping now and then ,to be quite honest it is chinese mass produced electronic rubbish.I bought a card reader from one of them and when I took it out of the parcel it disintegrated into a thousand pieces .I contacted them and received a very snotty remark .When your ratings is still low you hope to achieve high Positives & I gave a + because I knew with my few buys I'd never be able to buy again afterwards if I receive a revenge negative.

Miss Jewels

I totally agree with AC. This is their new listing for Crazy Wednesday auction still to open :

"Please read carefully before bidding as no bid will be deleted: Imported item. Shipping and handling costs INCLUDED in Shipping charge ofR290 per item won. Please only bid if you have read and accepted the shipping conditions"

Here is an very good example of a specific ring they're advertising : The ring costs $7.50 and shipping is currently $30.00. One ring will thus cost R259.13. Customs etc will cost R78.44 bringing the cost price to R337.57. But who orders only one ring???

If they bring in 30 rings at an average cost of $7.00, things change slightly.

30 rings @ $7 - R48.65 each - R1459.50

Plus shipping $30.00 R 208.50

Customs etc R 736.76

Total cost for 30 rings R80.16

Now.....where do their ridiculous shippings charges come from? They're making their money out of shipping because their items sell for between R1.00 and R50.00. No fees to BoB, all the money is in their pocket! BoB please, you have to take action against this account. The supplier will be made available to you should you wish to confirm the actual costs.

RAJRULES1

I too think something should be done about this. I have dealt with other sellers on BoB from China with shipping charges way lower than R290 per item. While I understand shipping includes more than just postage, dropshipping seems to be a good way to make money from shipping.

As an example:

I know certain items go for R1 but are probably worth R50. Some sellers/dropshippers say that the item will be sent directly from suppliers in China (which may be true), but surely the seller is not paying the supplier in China only the R1 ??. If the seller is paying the supplier R50 (which is the cost), then it means that he is making a R49 loss on this sale. Therefore with 50 of these R1 sales, the seller should actually be bankrupt, but somehow they make a profit. This profit can only come from the shipping charge.

So BoB loses. Yet they are still allowing dropshippers like this??:huh:

ahlbebuck

Wonderful idea to block these sellers. If buyers do their homework they will see that you will be able to buy the article directly from China at a better total landed cost.

qball

The seller has assured us that they will be dropshipping the items from the supplier directly to the buyer. As to why they have not changed the actual charge, is something I would like to find out too... the security team are busy with this and will provide feedback shortly.

Kind regards

Cuan

Miss Jewels

Hi Cuan. Thank you for this. Another bit of worry is that no-where in their new listings for Crazy Wednesday auctions do they make any mention of drop shipping, only that the item "originates from overseas". Is drop-shipping not meant to be stated in the auction? I still find their listings to be very incomplete and unorthodox. Just my opinion. ps Hope you had a peaceful Christmas!

The seller has assured us that they will be dropshipping the items from the supplier directly to the buyer. As to why they have not changed the actual charge, is something I would like to find out too... the security team are busy with this and will provide feedback shortly.

Kind regards

Cuan

AndreComputer

I see another seller that resides in the US sells equipment as well but send to their agent in SA where items get repacked & then sent to the customer .You get charged all taxes &vat & customs beforehand .I do not agree because items under R500 is tax,customs excluded or am I wrong ?

qball
I see another seller that resides in the US sells equipment as well but send to their agent in SA where items get repacked & then sent to the customer .You get charged all taxes &vat & customs beforehand .I do not agree because items under R500 is tax,customs excluded or am I wrong ?

Sellers based overseas are not drop shippers.

Miss Jewels

Items under R500.00 do not require a clearing agent and are customs free. You may however be charge a minimal admin fee from the post office.