Sign in to follow this  
Howard Neill

Bulk despatch of vinyl LPs

Howard Neill

Hi

I am selling my private collection of vinyl LPs. Someone has asked how much postage and packaging would be for 20 albums. I have never posted an LP in my life. :wondering: Any advice regarding packaging and posting would be appreciated.

Cheers

BumbleBabe

You would need to know what one weigh with packaging. Are you selling the whole lot as one? How many?

Howard Neill

They are up for sale individually. Some will be more popular than others, so I let the potential buyers pick & choose. I guess that the best way, to send 20, is to get a big box from the supermarket and snuggle the LPs, with lots of padding, into that? It is difficult to quote for Postage & Packaging, until I have done the job but the potential buyer will need a prediction in costs.

BumbleBabe

Well ordinary post upto 1kg is about R30.20 I think.And there after 4.05 per kg more. Package up one and see what it will weigh.

Howard Neill

Thanks, Bumblebabe.

Collectively, vinyl LPs can be quite heavy. Rightly or wrongly, I feel that I should charge a bit for my time spent collecting packing materials and the actual packaging for despatch. I am not making a living out of this.

Cheers.

Edited by Howard Neill

BumbleBabe

You welcome, yes they can be but I have no idea what they may weigh. I always say let me combine and confirm postage. It just makes things easier. Good luck hope it helps.

lilythepink

I have just "felt" the weight of 20 vinyl LPs (glad we don't have to get rid of ours as we have some original Beatles, etc).

I think that R50.00 postage should cover the cost of posting 20 vinyl LPs. Just a word of advice - please send them in a really strong box! Elephants are still busy at work in the PO!!

Howard Neill

Thanks Lilythepink

I wonder if a wine or whiskey carton will do the trick? I must get one and measure it, to see if the walls are high enough.

Cheers

RISadler

All I can say is you had better not try and fleece me, 'cause I just bid on a bunch of your LP's!

Howard Neill
All I can say is you had better not try and fleece me, 'cause I just bid on a bunch of your LP's!

Thanks RISadler I am not going to fleece anyone. Any advice on the packing and despatch of LPs will be appreciated. Cheers.

RISadler

I've found that a few LP's are very fragile, even in a box. But when you get a bunch together, they can easily withstand the abuse from the PO.

You do get special "LP posting boxes", but as usual not here in SA.

For less than 5 LP's, I'd sandwich them between two double-wall pieces of cardboard (cut to size, no bubble-wrap) and then thick brownpaper.

Howard Neill

Thanks! I will bear that in mind. Reader's Disgust had the packing of LPs down to a fine art.

lilythepink
Thanks! I will bear that in mind. Reader's Disgust had the packing of LPs down to a fine art.

But remember that was in the days before elephants driving forklift trucks rode over the parcels at the PO! (It seems to be a mandatory requirement for the elephants today!)

retailrush

Hi Howard

I see that your LP's have been selling - how is the packing going?

mellowred
Thanks Lilythepink

I wonder if a wine or whiskey carton will do the trick? I must get one and measure it, to see if the walls are high enough.

Cheers

Hi Howard

I store mine in those wine boxes they fit perfectly.

Howard Neill

First packing will be today. It is many sales, divided up amongst a handful of buyers. That makes despatch easy. The wine boxes will be ideal. I have used a couple of wine cartons for the despatch of camera bags. By their nature, they are robust and designed to withstand heavy handling. Thanks for the input.

Howard Neill

In the end, it turned out that champagne boxes have the height required. Wine boxes were just a little too short. This is what they looked like.

IMG_3887.jpg.8dc44cc02602d3dc4d3bf545a26e2324.jpg

IMG_3888.JPG.ee218e5e66958b76a8d4b3a35cda2cc9.JPG

IMG_3889.JPG.0387ac3c88102985b49932167882ea6a.JPG

retailrush

Very nicely done Howard! It must have been quite heavy though?

Howard Neill

Thanks. I got carried away with the packaging. They were my own collection and they had sentimental value.

Very nicely done Howard! It must have been quite heavy though?

oaks and acorns

An idea that LP sellers might want to keep an eye out for at second hand shops and similar places...

Over 30 Charley Pride LPs are comfortably housed in this sturdy LP storage case. Was thinking maybe lightweight sheets of cardboard in between each LP, then into a larger box that has been padded with newspaper, etc.

2249990-3170360598-l.gif

Wouldn't want to send them off via the Post Office though, a courier service would probably take better care of them and actually heed the 'Fragile' stickers.

Edited by oaks and acorns

lilythepink

Hi Oaks and Acorns. Howard Neill passed away some time back I, for one, miss him greatly on the forum. May the good gentleman rest in peace. My thoughts are still very much with his wife - who is also a member of this forum!