Sign in to follow this  
wayjen

Maybe my 3rd scam on the car we are selling??

wayjen

The first guy is interested in our car and when I email him he sends me a long email in return telling me he is in the US Marines in Iraq and wants to do business with me. I reported him to Bid or Buy but have heard nothing. A few days ago he contacts me again with another email address but same name, I have not responded to him but sent BoB a message.

Now I get another guy interested in the car and when I email him he responds by sending me an email to verify it is my advert and wants me to submit my username and password. I have sent him a message that I am contacting BoB and I have sent BoB a message.

Guys beware they are out there.

mellowred

You are right, Car for Sale ads really do attract the con artists Wayne. In the past 18 months we have sold four vehicles.

One "potential buyer" was in Durban and wanted to buy the car NOW so that it would be ready for him when he arrived at Cape Town airport. He just wanted me to send him a copy of the registration papers so that he could check that the car was not stolen. I was a bit uneasy but crossed out Hennie's details and mailed him a scanned copy. Never heard from him again.

Then we had a truck up, and the guys wanted to meet us in Somerset West to give us cash to secure the vehicle which they would pick up when they came to Hermanus a week later. Being a bit suspicious, but going to SW in any case we arranged to meet them in a public place. After a load of BS, it turned out they wanted us to buy illegal diamonds. Seeing as the guys did not even have airtime on their phones, I very much doubt they had any zirconias let alone diamonds.

These scammers did not contact me through BoB ads, but I've sold several other high price items through the other site and never had problems - just with the car ads.:hm:

wayjen

hmmm I have had plenty scamsters trying to con me on other sites and reported them all.

qball

There are phishing scams going around at the moment, they are difficult to prevent so please be wary - bidorbuy will never ask you for your username and password via email. Always check the destination URL, including the URL in the browser address bar.

kyle2

There is a VERY clever standard bank scam email going around at the moment, please delete anything that rmotely looks like a bank email telling you that there is an unauthorised transaction on your account, don't open it, respond to it, just delete it. It dumps spyware on your PC and next time you log on to the bank site, your details are copied and sent to the scamsters.

:sowsuser:

RISadler
... he is in the US Marines in Iraq and wants to do business with me.

Wonder what the postage will be?

wayjen

I thought it very strange when I received a link to my Bob page (username and password) but thank goodness I never logged in. What happens to these guys Cuan that are trying their luck?

I did send you guys the email that was sent to my email address where the American Rambo type wants to do business with me and I can make DOLLARS.

qball

There's too many of them to try "catch" them, all we and you can do is ignore these attempts and report them to their hosting company/ISP. Always check the links...

Did you take him up on his offer? :grin:

wayjen
There's too many of them to try "catch" them, all we and you can do is ignore these attempts and report them to their hosting company/ISP. Always check the links...

Did you take him up on his offer? :grin:

ha ha ha I just may be paying your salary today with the money I was offered.

JPBon

Hope the right buyer comes along.

qball
ha ha ha I just may be paying your salary today with the money I was offered.

A whole R2000??? :suspicious:

wayjen
A whole R2000??? :suspicious:

oi!!! it's money or food stamps the choice is yours.

qball

I'll take the cash... :razz:

JPBon

Wayne I would have offered to pay in peanuts.

wayjen
I'll take the cash... :razz:

aah good man with the cash you can buy your own foodstamps, very clever.

wayjen
Wayne I would have offered to pay in peanuts.

if they chocolate coated then we can talk.

qball

You know what they say... pay peanuts, get monkey's.... :laugh:

wayjen

JP can use the monkey to grind the organ.

JPBon
You know what they say... pay peanuts, get monkey's.... :laugh:

Uhm we could argue that case then lol