Sign in to follow this  
eZethu Coins

Load your insurance costs - an easy way to make money from postage rather than Sales?

eZethu Coins

Is it my imagination or are quite a few sellers loading the insurance rate on the shipping options to make some extra money from postage? If the Post Office official rate is 2%, why are there sellers that charge more than that, AND is this acceptable according to the BoB rules? I have come across "petty theft" examples of 3% up to "more serious theft" of 5%.

admin

Hi Renaldo,

Should they ship via SAPO, it is 2% as you said, please report these sellers to community watch.

lilythepink
Hi Renaldo,

Should they ship via SAPO, it is 2% as you said, please report these sellers to community watch.

They do get reported, Andries, but nothing much seems to happen as they continue on with this practice ad nauseum!

eZethu Coins

I'm next to you now Lilly - let's go and skop some gat ;-)

eZethu Coins

How about a general communication in some or other way to sellers to remind them about the 2 shipping cost issues: a reminder to stay within reason with shipping costs, and an instruction to not markup on insurance?

MsPlod
How about a general communication in some or other way to sellers to remind them about the 2 shipping cost issues: a reminder to stay within reason with shipping costs, and an instruction to not markup on insurance?

Hear hear!!

RISadler

What happened to implementing the same facility as eBay?

eZethu Coins
The terms are clear enough for all to read. Please continue to report to it communitywatch@bidorbuy.co.za

Thank you.

OK - doing that - let's see what happens.

Thanks

lilythepink
I'm next to you now Lilly - let's go and skop some gat ;-)

I've been "kicking" for a couple of years now without getting the ball past the posts. However, I see that your kick is harder and more accurate than mine? Well done, if BoB are now instituting a 5% penalty for those sellers who rip buyers off with postage! Fantastic news.

eZethu Coins

One back on the straight and narrow so far - another one still naughty - will monitor for a few day and then report back to Admin. This is a simple and exact issue, because the PO fees are exact. Don't know how were are going to get the general excessive postage in line, but we won't give up.

A new issue cropped up in the last week - sellers charging for insurance, but sending without. Seems to have happened twice in about a week now. It is sitting in th e back of my mind for later processing.

brands online

Hi, just a question. Is it okay to charge high postage costs and per item where items are small enought to be combined and the reason given is "We use a pick-up service and these are their charges." ? That seems to be agreat way to get around it and one seller seems to being very well with this line. The way I see it, we save customers money by allowing them to combine. Or else we too can make a whole lot more. But BOB doesn't do anything about this. So from yhe new year, I think we'll also charge full amounts on each item and no combining.

spyguy (18539 rating8.gif) verifieduser.gif

100.00% positive ratings

Located in Johannesburg

Please see in the item description for SHIPPING DETAILS. We offer both South African Postal Services (Anywhere in the world) and Door to Door services (Selected areas within South Africa ONLY). For International shipping outside of South Africa please enquire shipping rates first and note that delivery of international parcels can take up to 45 working days to arive. Shipping fees to be PAID IN FULL. We use a PICK UP SERVICE COMPANY and those are their RATES. PAYMENTS to be MADE within 10 WORKING DAYS. We only post items when funds reflect in our account. Due to FRAUD we do not ship items with proof of payment only. Insurance is highly recommended and charged at an additional 3.00% of the order value.

Edited by brands online

mellowred

The only time I can see any sense in NOT combining is when a seller is selling 100s of items a day and cannot utilise someone to take a bulk order form and put several items in one box.

But then if you order ten items you should receive 10 postal items.

@ BrandsOnline, I see your example is charging 3% insurance, but don't see anything stating he dos not combine shipping. Am I missing something? :wondering:

brands online

@ BrandsOnline, I see your example is charging 3% insurance, but don't see anything stating he dos not combine shipping. Am I missing something? :wondering:

Shipping fees to be PAID IN FULL. We use a PICK UP SERVICE COMPANY and those are their RATES.

Miss Jewels
Hi Renaldo,

We have a thread for reporting non-paying bidders. How about a list of sellers with high/illegal insurance rates? I've just had to pay 4% to a certain seller.

qball
We have a thread for reporting non-paying bidders. How about a list of sellers with high/illegal insurance rates? I've just had to pay 4% to a certain seller.

If a seller charged you 4% why did you continue with the purchase? Did you report it to us?

qball

Please also bear in mind, if a seller uses a service provider that charges 3% for insurance, then that would be acceptable, also sellers who charge insurance and do not send it insured must be reported to us for further action, as this is quite simply not on.

Miss Jewels

Hi qball.

0.82CT STUNNING SAPPHIRE [sI], VIVID GEM BLUE MADAGASCAN PERFECLY POLISHED OVAL GEMSTONE.

It has been reported to community watch. Awaiting a response. Reported at 0800am this morning. Not sure which service provider it's going to be, but I'm assuming it's SAPO.

If a seller charged you 4% why did you continue with the purchase? Did you report it to us?

qball
Hi qball.

0.82CT STUNNING SAPPHIRE [sI], VIVID GEM BLUE MADAGASCAN PERFECLY POLISHED OVAL GEMSTONE.

It has been reported to community watch. Awaiting a response. Reported at 0800am this morning. Not sure which service provider it's going to be, but I'm assuming it's SAPO.

May I suggest before entering into the transaction with the seller, to enquire about the insurance and read the shipping section thoroughly before buying or bidding, at the same time alert us to this so we can investigate. Please give us some time to investigate. Thanks.