Sign in to follow this  
amcintyre

Clock prices

amcintyre    10
amcintyre

I'm not really a clock collector, I've only bought clocks which interest me due to the way they look etc. However, what confuses me is how much or little clocks go for here on BOB.

A broken cuckoo clock, missing its pendulum or weights goes for more than the exact same clock that is in good working order. I bought a working recently serviced cuckoo clock for way less than many broken, damaged cuckoo clocks on BOB.

I really don't know, but there seems to be some weird bidding craze. The same goes with some Ansonia clocks which are still either in open bids or have recently clozed. An Ansonia missing its hands, broken and cracked seems to be going for more than a perfectly working, complete one.

Can anyone explain this?

Obviously a rare, collectable clock (Although damaged) would go for more than a functioning clock, but two clocks of the same vintage, model etc shouldn't favour a higher price for the more damaged one? :confused:

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

This is what makes all auctions so fascinating! One never knows quite what to expect anything to go for and it's great fun keeping a look-out on BoB's auctions. What "fascinates" me the most are the sellers who try to try to sell items one can pick up for R10 anywhere yet they charge R50.00 (or more) postage/shipping. There is a sucker born every minute, so it would seemthe crappy items do sell or they wouldn't be listed so many times over many months.

babyface2    10
babyface2

@amcintyre

i sell clocks on bob and it has always fasinated me how i get a higher price for clocks that needs repairs as to ones that is working perfectly to this day i have no explination for this

Little Miss Muffet    20
Little Miss Muffet

I think it depends on the bidders at the time.

I had 2 jewellery boxes exactly the same that were listed for R100 each. They did not sell so I put one on a Wed crazy 2 weeks ago and it sold for R61. The other one is on this week and has bids of R221.Crazy!! Crazy Wed.--I am addicted. Sometimes I am horrified when items go for R1 but I am addicted so I still carry on listing on Wed crazy. It all balances out in the end I think

Edited by geewhizz