Sign in to follow this  
wayjen

J.H. Lynch "Woodland Goddess"

wayjen    10
wayjen

I have this picture on auction under prints as there don't seem to be any brush strokes on the canvas. I know these pictures were mass produced by this Artist so I am assuming this is a print.

What do I look for in/on this "painting" so I can get it in the right category and why does this painting/print have a name plaque at the bottom whilst others online have non?

Pharos    10
Pharos

Hey there

I took a look at your listing and have the following thoughts to share:

J.H. Lynch was a very popular artist and achieved a great deal of fame through the massive distribution of his prints, much like our own Tretchikoff. Although it must be said that the artist himself has remained somewhat of an enigma. It was not uncommon for his works to be reproduced on canvas - these canvas prints are worth a bit more than those reproduced on paper - mainly due to their longevity.

If you look at the close up of his signature in your listing, there is a bit of light glare which shows off the texture of the canvas. Hold the canvas under a light and try and emulate this glare on other parts of the canvas - any actual brush strokes would stand out if it were an original - even if painted in a very fine style. By running your hand over the painting you would normally feel the texture (Albeit slight) of an original.

There may well be certain print editions that are more valuable to collectors than others but this is you would have to Google.

As for the plaque - it may have been to make the print appear more valuable to the buyer - your guess is as good.

I would list it under prints but stipulate that it is on canvas.

Hope this helped a bit.

Cheers

Pharos

wayjen    10
wayjen

Thanks Pharos

much appreciate you taking the time to look and comment on the picture. I will have another look tomorrow in the daylight and see what I come up with.

thanks man

cheers

Wayne