Sign in to follow this  
MsPlod

Sentient beings...

MsPlod

Thought this was most interesting...

"In 1997 the concept of animal sentience was written into the basic law of the European Union. The legally-binding Protocol annexed to the Treaty of Amsterdam recognises that animals are ‘sentient beings’, and requires the EU and its Member States to ‘pay full regard to the welfare requirements of animals.’

The laws of several states include certain invertebrates such as cephalopods (octopuses, squids) and decapod crustaceans (lobsters, crabs) in the scope of animal protection laws, implying that these animals are also judged to be capable of experiencing pain and suffering."

(Source: Compassion in World Farming - Policy and cultural implications)

But then of course, little cats would not really believe that fish could feel anything:rolleyes::razz:

BumbleBabe

I knew it :colbert:

mellowred

Pinched from Brainy Quote

Having a faculty, or faculties, of sensation and perception. Specif. (Physiol.), especially sensitive; as, the sentient extremities of nerves, which terminate in the various organs or tissues.

Hunger is a sensation so anything that feels hunger must be a sentient being. Fish included.

RISadler
Hunger is a sensation so anything that feels hunger must be a sentient being.

Well, that then excludes the fabulously rich! :huh:

lilythepink
Well, that then excludes the fabulously rich! :huh:

Perhaps the men but not the ladies - just look how anorexic most of them are!

RISadler

Well, it could then be that rich women are too stupid to know what those "feelings" mean. (And that fat women are very intelligent.)

lilythepink
Well, it could then be that rich women are too stupid to know what those "feelings" mean. (And that fat women are very intelligent.)

Yes, I think fat women are very intelligent! Well the ones I know are brilliant! It's an excellent theory as to why fat women never get thin?

mellowred

Well that does it then ... I'm off to apply to Mensa :grin: