Sign in to follow this  
amcintyre

Delays with Standard Bank BOBPay payments

amcintyre

I've had a few issues with BOBPay, which usually works quite well. After cutting and pasting the details from BOB into the Standard bank internet site, payment usually use to be reflected as "Payment complete" after about ten minutes. However, the last six payments through BOBPay are shown as "Awaiting Payment" - I have had to request Payment COnfirmation PDFs from STandard Bank and then forward these to BOB before they have released the funds.

After trying to transfer R115 through BOBPay, for a clock I had won, and thinking that I had somehow messed up, I transferred this amount directly, a second time into the sellers account. A few days later I received an email from BOB stating that I hadn't used the correct code - however, I had cut and pasted the code (carefully ensuring that there were no spaces) into the Standard Bank site. The codes were the same.

I can't understand this. BOBPay is making me look like a late payer.

I have tried to transfer R136 for Order : 3447494 for some books I had bought and yet again it is reflected as "Awaiting Payment". The seller has now contacted me gently reminding me to pay. I've sent further emails to BOB, with confirmation of paymemt PDFs and still the money hasn't been transferred.

This is really irritating and embarrassing. I am using the correct codes etc and paymenmt is still not being affected. What can I do?

qball

Unfortunately we cannot control or manage delays or technical issues which stem from the banks' side. Please contact our customer services for assistance providing the proof of payment - email it to billing@bidorbuy.co.za. There are times when the banks make changes to their software which we are not aware of, or there are problems with the actual clearance of funds. The banks do state that funds can take longer than 24 hours to reflect even if it's from the same bank.

Please also bear in mind that we deal with thousands of payments and to try trace, match and allocate payments, it can take some time to do as this is done manually. We are confident that these are isolated issues and are not a cause for concern.

Thank you for your patience and understanding in this regard and apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Kind regards

Cuan

RISadler
... as this is done manually.

Really? No jokes? Wow! :surprised:

qball

I know, we still have humans doing some of the work... :amazed:

RISadler

Then where is my ten Rand?

qball

Where should it be? :hm:

RISadler

In my account.

qball

It's in the post...

RISadler

Yeah, like the Czech was really in the male.

MacMuffin
Really? No jokes? Wow! :surprised:

About 90% of BoBPays are matched systematically and within 15 minutes of a payment being done. The remaining cases are unmatched payments, where buyers did not provide the correct payment-reference, captured a non-matching amount or re-used a beneficiary without updating the payment reference. In those cases the finance team matches unmatched payments manually. For the manual matching we have systems in place to suggest possible matches, but this still requires hands/eyes to confirm the correct match.

lilythepink

I wonder if folks who have BoBpay registered as a beneficiary on their accounts are making sure they change the "old" (previous) details before they just click "pay". I work through Standard Bank and I have to do this each and every time I do a BoBpay payment, otherwise previous references will be used and cause complications.

amcintyre
I wonder if folks who have BoBpay registered as a beneficiary on their accounts are making sure they change the "old" (previous) details before they just click "pay". I work through Standard Bank and I have to do this each and every time I do a BoBpay payment, otherwise previous references will be used and cause complications.

I'm still having issues, it's taking up to two days to reflect payment - and I don't have BoBPay listed as a beneficiary. However, the last payment I made, I selected the Absa account to pay into, from my Standard Bank account. This went through quite quickly - and I'm still waiting for a payment I made yesterday (from Standard to Standard) to go through. Hmm...

Edited by amcintyre

qball

All payments have been matched, there should be no outstanding issues. Please refer back to the email sent to you yesterday, there is an issue with Standard, which is out of our control. For some reason Standard Bank are delaying clearance of the funds. But your latest payment has been matched and the seller would have been notified.

Thank you for your patience and understanding in this regard.

lilythepink
All payments have been matched, there should be no outstanding issues. Please refer back to the email sent to you yesterday, there is an issue with Standard, which is out of our control. For some reason Standard Bank are delaying clearance of the funds. But your latest payment has been matched and the seller would have been notified.

Thank you for your patience and understanding in this regard.

I sometimes think that the powers-that-be at Standard Bank should be invited to this forum ....!

amcintyre

Well, I have just paid a visit to my local Std Bank branch after a whole string of painful EFTs to BOBPay. I can't understand why what took 30 minutes previously to clear is now taking two full working days.

I spoke to their enquiries person who said that EFTs shouldn't take longer than 1 hour to clear. He then put me onto their internet banking person who told me that, because of the festive season, month end, public holidays and a whole bunch of other reasons, EFTs will take longer to clear. She instructed me that one should expect to wait two full working days... :sad2:

lilythepink
Well, I have just paid a visit to my local Std Bank branch after a whole string of painful EFTs to BOBPay. I can't understand why what took 30 minutes previously to clear is now taking two full working days.

I spoke to their enquiries person who said that EFTs shouldn't take longer than 1 hour to clear. He then put me onto their internet banking person who told me that, because of the festive season, month end, public holidays and a whole bunch of other reasons, EFTs will take longer to clear. She instructed me that one should expect to wait two full working days... :sad2:

Now, I don't mind waiting 48 hours for a payment to come through providing the buyer has notified me that he/she has paid.

What I do object to with Standard Bank is that when one draws money from one's money market account (Stanlib), it takes something like 5 days to be put into one's banking account, i.e. the withdrawal of the investment happens 5 days earlier so 5 days interest is lost before one can actually use one's own money. Isn't this highway robbery? Then, telephoning the bank this morning, hubby gets told that "the money will be in your account before midday on Monday".

Who is getting the benefit of holding on to this money for so long? Standard Bank and/or Stanlib. Not fair, I tell you and the beak is spitting snakes ...!

MacMuffin

Frankly, Standard Bank is [insert your own censored word here], and we always have problems with them which seemingly occur when there is high load on their system (ie. lots of payments happening). This is normally around month end and beginning (ie 20th until about 2nd). For December though, this was last week as most company's traditionally pay their employees around the 15th as opposed to the 25th during other months.

This problem should hopefully be less prevalent this week and next.

Unfortunately, there is nothing that can be done for it besides to make you aware of the fact that Standard Bank clients may experience delays.

Howard Neill

I have little patience for banks which take a "high and mighty" attitude towards their clients. Miss a payment, by one day, and they take you to the cleaners with punitive interest rates. They are always bragging how they are leaders in technology and yet they can't make an instant transfer of funds from one bank to another. Wake up banks of South Africa. You need an effective opposition, not a cosy cartel. :rolleyes: