laylow45

Is Bid or Buy really a bargain hunters paradise?

laylow45

Hi

I am new to the forum and have my two cents worth @Sellers. Being a techno junky, I joined BorB and was really hoping to get a decent price on some NEW electronic items I was looking to buy, namely a Sony SR68 vidcam and a 90GB SSD. Eventually, I purchased the two electronic items not through Bid or Buy, but in both cases I found the items around 20-30% cheaper from dealers else were on the net and at Makro. (I find Items on auction go for fair used prices) I thus chose to buy the new Items where I got the best deal, as is my right, just as it is a seller right, to sell at the price they want to.

I am not trying to flame anybody, but come on Sellers, I know business hasn't been booming and everyone tries to make a living, but there is such a thing as fair competition!? I have really found that a substantial part of the NEW items in the electronic section is overpriced? :shock: .I really like the BorB website and hope to get some electronic bargains eventually..:bigsmile:, but I think some pricing/competition introspection is required by sellers.

Regards

J

Edited by laylow45

RISadler

You are absolutely correct. BoB has become swamped with sellers trying their luck at catching suckers with overpriced (new) goods.

The reason is that there is no listing fee, so all it takes is some spare time to load the items. I have discussed this with the BoB "management" and suggested some solutions, but they're not interested. In fact, they've gone so far the opposite direction as to implement a system whereby listings are generated directly off a retailer's website.

On the flipside, it appears that many of the "secondhand" buyers have left the site, so bargains can again be picked up in that department. :awesome:

lilythepink

I am not entirely in agreement with RISadler (no offence intended). I have won some fantastic bargains on Bid or Buy over the years, including lately! It's the sellers who are charging outrageous shipping/postage with whom I have a problem - and there are more and more of them on BoB lately! If shipping seems excessive, I "blacklist" them in my mind and will never buy anything from them at all, no matter how great the bargain may seem.

BumbleBabe

You like you buy, you dont like you dont buy.

RISadler

Beak, your post QED's my point, especially the use of the word "lately" in several places. I, too, have picked up some amazing bargains lately - because I was the only bidder.

lilythepink
Beak, your post QED's my point, especially the use of the word "lately" in several places. I, too, have picked up some amazing bargains lately - because I was the only bidder.

Yes, I have many a time been the only bidder! And with my use of the word "lately", please please remember that I do suffer from Old Timer's!! :grin:

RISadler
I do suffer from Old Timer's!!

If your watch is worn out and runs slow, there are many bargains on BoB for a new one. :wink:

lilythepink
If your watch is worn out and runs slow, there are many bargains on BoB for a new one. :wink:

It's not the watch that's the problem - it's the mind, RI!!

RISadler

I've got a few spares lying about... want one? :weird:

lilythepink
I've got a few spares lying about... want one? :weird:

Only if it's an improvement on the one I am trying to cope with! :wondering::wondering:

Picor

I have been on Bidorbuy since 2006 and can attest to the fact that there are some genuine bargains however you must always remember Caveat emptor, let the buyer beware. Some pointers:

Before purchasing read competitive ads, not just on BoB.

Also check out the shipping costs. Many sellers offer goods at or below cost as they know they will make their profit on their over priced shipping charges.

Check what other BoB purchases have said about the seller you are considering. Remember also that on BoB sellers have had to register by doing a financial transaction with BoB before listing their goods which means BoB does have some financial information on the seller, unlike many other online sales sites.

Do your homework before punching that BUY NOW button.

windrider

There are so many sellers that try their luck, especially those that flood their listings with how much the items are 'truly worth'. A quick check on the web reveals that brick and mortar store charge 10-20% less. That's not even including the shipping, which is often exorbitant. Reporting them only occasionally yields results. Personally, after several misses with electronics wouldn't touch the electronics section on BoB with a barge pole.

There are bargains to be found, true. They just get harder and harder to find beneath the flood of 'honest' sellers