Sign in to follow this  
CaddieHart

Postage costs

CaddieHart    10
CaddieHart

This may be a naive question - but why do sellers always charge you way more for postage than it actually costs?

Generally postage under 1kg is about R19, but most charge R30 +.

For example, the other day I received my order, I was charged R40 for postage but on the envelope it said the postage actually cost R19.

Why the discrepancy?

JPBon    10
JPBon

There are a few reasons, sellers also recover things like Envelope or box, bubblewrap etc as well also its not easy predicting what the post office will charge, some things they accept as econoparcel the R19 and some they dont.

CaddieHart    10
CaddieHart

Oh of course! Ok, thanks :)

Asha Craft Jewellery    10
Asha Craft Jewellery

JPBon is completely correct. Envelopes, bubble wrap, jewellery bags, insurance, etc can work out to nearly R10 per parcel. So a charge of R30 for postage is still fine. Now when you really have to start worrying is when you are charged R30 or more PER item going into the same parcel. That's when you should ask questions before bidding. Sometimes it's legit, but other times it's the seller trying to make a few extra rand. Always best to read the shipping charges and instructions before bidding on anything. That way you don't get any nasty surprises :)

wayjen    10
wayjen

An item of 1kg might well be R18.00 without the packaging now you add packaging it puts it in a higher bracket and the dimensions change too so it is in another price bracket.

Most if not all of us work on the actual book issued by the post off but when you actually go into the post office the price may sometimes change either one way or the other.

mellowred    10
mellowred

As one who does not make a profit out of postage, i just take it with a win some, lose some attitude.

One transaction I do remember was a crazy R1 auction. Postage was a couple of rand more than I charged. So, if I include the R5 listing fee, I paid ± R7.50 to sell that item :surprised:.

But over-all I score a few rand on most postage which I write off to wrapping materials & time.

Hennie thinks I'm crazy because it sometimes takes quite a while to wrap a parcel. He works everything into a fee per hour (decades of being his own boss). So when he sees me taking 15mins to wrap a parcel he believes I should be charging at least R50 for my time + the postage of say R18.95. He rekons I'm working at a loss becasue I only charge R30. :rolleyes:

Now I'd like someone to try and charge Hennie R70 postage for an item he bought as a bargain @ R30 :laugh:. He have me on the forum reporting the rip-off con-artists.

wayjen    10
wayjen

We just now discovered that our local post office (not the normal one we use) has overcharged us on almost all 20 parcels we posted today. Instead a parcel being R18.50 or whatever it is we were charged over R30 for the item.

JPBon    10
JPBon
We just now discovered that our local post office (not the normal one we use) has overcharged us on almost all 20 parcels we posted today. Instead a parcel being R18.50 or whatever it is we were charged over R30 for the item.

you have to watch them like hawks Wayne lots of the POffices do that.

meeks    10
meeks

Same thing happened to me a few weeks back, sent hubby to post off some parcels for me, he came back utterly flabbergasted, at being charged over R30 for a few small parcels, weighing below 1kg.

I phoned the postmaster and complained, he told me to go back to the post office and get it sorted out (get refunded on the excess charged) so I phoned the person who served my hubby, told her this is ridiculous, and also mentioned that I phoned the postmaster, and she is welcome to phone him as well and check on my story. Well without hesitation, she just said "okay, come back and we will refund you, which off course resulted in new tracking numbers having to be issued, as I was then charged the R18+ as should have been the case in the first place.

If this happens again, to anyone, Query it, you will get your money back.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

If you don't watch the PO staff with beady, hawk eyes (as opposed to The Beak's eyes!) they just automatically do the R30.00 transaction. Several times I have got them to change it while I am there and then there's a big hoo-haa about measuring the parcel, etc. etc before they will concede that they are in the wrong. It is most frustrating that the PO staff are so careless - whenever I see a new face behind one of the counters, I know I'm going to have difficulty ...!

It makes me wonder how many people the PO is getting additional monies from, monies to which they are not entitled! :huh: