Sign in to follow this  
Guest Guest

Local dropshippers

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest

Mickey mouse 0.20CT ELEGANT SAPPHIRE RING IN 10K SOLID GOLD & [NO COMBINED SHIPPING ON R1 NO RESERVE AUCTIONS...]

Item Weight: 00.8 grams!!!!! Item: R101 Shipping + R290.00 -- Total R391.00

Man! Just when you think you bought a small bargain, you hit a speedbump! :wtf:

Yes, I'm not new... etc. etc. Do one really think I expect postage like that from sombody living a few hours drive from me?! That's not the point. That postage is simply ridiculously high! What is that thingy worth - less than what I paid for? Time will tell.

[Ask the sellers I buy from... I many a time add a few extra rand, regardless of the stated postage.] I buy often from Wonderdeal - China -Other Bike Part & Accessories - T18 Waterproof Sports Action Camera, Extreme Sports DV 50FPS High Frames Helmet Camcorder Outdoor was sold for R260.00 on 3 Dec at 14:03 by WonderDeal in Hong Kong (ID:29507456) - they are REALLY sending goods from China - many items for less than R210! Plus, it's big, well packed goods too. Yes, I do not mind to pay honest sellers.

Do anybody here really believe that that tiny ring will be send in a big dark box all on it's own from China today? LOL :biggrin:

I cannot believe that I got con again with postage...:disgusted: Earlier this year I was smoked too... R998 postage for two watches! These sellers take people for a ride. A fact. Buyers like myself pay and, don't make big waves when people rip us off in this manner. These people get away - everyday... A negative SNC is the last thing most buyers want.

Please BOB, write some Java code, make a rule that these people put the postage just bellow the "bidding button" in bold red letters giving the total: includding any current price! Also; State it clearly that they dropship and their rates NOT in fineprint. PLEASE! Thank you.

I bid on: A R101 Ring... Item weight: 00.8 grams - Postage 290!

Lastly, I'm not gullible at all, one simply do not expect to pay nearly R300 postage for any minute item! Damn, I'm :disgusted:...

PS Many skillfully hide the postage with lo-ong details about real "nothings!"

Edited by Edmund1000

kyle2    10
kyle2

Yep, it pays to read the whole description properly, this way one can usually avoid nasty surprises from unscrupulous sellers. Your seller could have sent that item insured, xpress, overnight with a courier, door to door for less than half that.

Posting anything for under 1kg shouldn’t cost more than R60.00. This seller is obviously making a HUGE profit from the postage, which is against BoB policy as far as I know, hopefully admin will look into it?:push:

PS, the stone looks like it's going to fall out, one of the crasps is not on correctly!

qball    11
qball

The postage is stipulated in the listing, unfortunately it is your responsibility to read the "fine print". Please do not bid on an item if you are not in agreement with the shipping charges.

Thank you

Cuan

qball    11
qball
Yep, it pays to read the whole description properly, this way one can usually avoid nasty surprises from unscrupulous sellers. Your seller could have sent that item insured, xpress, overnight with a courier, door to door for less than half that.

Posting anything for under 1kg shouldn’t cost more than R60.00. This seller is obviously making a HUGE profit from the postage, which is against BoB policy as far as I know, hopefully admin will look into it?:push:

PS, the stone looks like it's going to fall out, one of the crasps is not on correctly!

Item is being shipped from an international supplier - a 3-4 day expedited shipping service is quite costly - this is clearly listed in the Shipping charges.

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest

Indeed! /:surprised:\ You know I know that very welI - I did say: "Lastly, I'm not gullible at all, one simply do not expect to pay nearly R300 postage for any minute item!"

Lastly, why is this a topic so often discussed..., if the blame can be shifted to buyers who expect standerd rates?:hm:

PS I'm upset... Sorry - I really am. Please try to understand...

So easy for anybody to say:

"Your item is sent via International Express Mail Services (3-4days) to SA. Thereafter Reg insured mail to local postal adress (3-4days). SA customs may impose 20% import duty on sales price and 14% vat. All above costs are already INCLUDED in shipping charges for this item: R290 per item won.)

Yea-right! I want to say to them - I believe... - all is good now. Alas... Where is the customs papers and original box etc.? Am I rude to ask for some proof of that? Can they give it? No, because it was never shipped one by one item...

Why send it to the "seller" in SA, [repack it!?!!] and, not directly to me, like Wonderdeal does. Their Customs papers etc. are ALL included. Everytime! I trust Wonderdeal 100% and do NOT mind paying them.

Again: I'm upset... Sorry man - Please try to understand...:wacko:

Edited by Edmund1000
PS

kyle2    10
kyle2

Hi Cuan, given the charges are high for an expedited service, but in this case it seems excessive, I've recieved an item from the USA in 6 days(incl. customs handling) for that kind of money and the thing was 400mm X 800mm X400mm in dimension. A small box containing a ring cannot cost that much, surely?:confused:

Anyway, descriptions are there to be read, I'm sure we've all been to that school.

qball    11
qball

One cannot expect standardised rates, especially when goods are being shipped in from overseas, firstly because, it depends on where the parcel is coming from. secondly, it is dependent on the service (method selected - courier, expedited etc.), thirdly, the company used to ship the goods. Ultimately the buyer is the one here who needs to take responsibility for what has happened, the charges are clear, you agreed to these charges at the time and could have avoided a complaint like this by not bidding. These charges are not in our opinion, excessive, considering it's an imported item. An expedited service from the UK, which takes approximately 5-7 days costs approx. GBP 15 to GBP 20, as an example. This is not a standard rate, and no shipping charges can be standardised for international shipments. If you're not happy to pay that amount, don't bid. The seller also explains the shipping and that the items are imported. Charges from certain countries may also be cheaper, for example from the US, this is simply due to the volume of shipments sent from this country, thus this could be a factor in cheaper pricing. Every seller will be different, and this is also dependent on packaging and other costs which fall under shipping charges, depending on the type of item being sent.

Sorry, but you can't blame the seller for this... :hm: it's in black and white and clear enough for you to make an informed decision when buying.

Kind regards

Cuan

Digitrade    10
Digitrade

Where is the customs papers and original box etc.?

I think the question that should be answered here is:

"Is the stock really sent from overseas, or is this just a way to make money out of the buyers?" Why do the seller not send the goods directly to the buyer? Because the stock is most probably already in SA after it was imported in bulk!

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest

Sorry, but you can't blame the seller for this... :hm: it's in black and white and clear enough for you to make an informed decision when buying.

Kind regards

Cuan

Thank you - I know and surely understand it all. You BOB guys do a great job - thanks again.

Caun, I blame nobody. I only blame myself and made it really clear. My post has nothing to do with "Who is to blame"

I just became too use[d] again to honest sellers... So, I felt I got caught... Did my postage pay most of that ring? - Who knows. Fair - Not so? That's my humble bottom line.

Any Shrewd seller is bad news. Not to you but to thousands of faceless buyers.

Anyway, have a great week! :idea:.

PS before someone says it: "This is surely not a small storm in some teacup." :grin:

Edited by Edmund1000
[d] ?!

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest
I think the question that should be answered here is:

"Is the stock really sent from overseas, or is this just a way to make money out of the buyers?" Why do the seller not send the goods directly to the buyer? Because the stock is most probably already in SA after it was imported in bulk!

Thank you! Local bulk!

See, where there is insight, there is discernment! spelling.png

Have a splendid month! icon14.gif

PS See, I even feel much better now! :biggrin:

qball    11
qball

Essentially you guys are calling the seller a liar/scammer... without any evidence or proof... Maybe you should invite the seller to this forum so he can give his side of the story? Many dropshippers do not import in bulk for many reasons, one because such shipments are expensive to bring in when VAT and duties are payable on combined shipments, secondly, larger shipments are often detained for longer periods. Why would a seller advertise this fact, if it can be dispelled so easily - he risks his reputation and his future on the site?

dstorm    10
dstorm

Hello Digitrade

Your words: "Is the stock really sent from overseas, or is this just a way to make money out of the buyers? …the stock is most probably already in SA after it was imported in bulk “.

This is definitely what some sellers are doing. And they get away with it! And BoB is also losing out on commission.

Also, customs duty is NOT part of postage and packing.

I fully agree that buyers should educate themselves, but I do not like the principle of “let the buyer beware”.

Regards

Jacques

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest

If the seller can supply the customs forms and proof that this item was exclusively imported for me and that the R290 was indeed ONLY use as stated; I totally agree... And sure, I shall gladly pay the R290!

R290 postage for an 0.8 of a gram item...?

Anyway, we are going nowhere slowly it seems.

Thank you again.

ATA STAMP CENTRE    10
ATA STAMP CENTRE

HI ALL

Dropshipping is a reality of online selling whether we like it or not.However there are certain extremes that defy logic,This is one such example as even a moron would not believe that a seller would order a single item after a single sale which could be a few times a day or many times a week.The reality is that the seller makes a profit of a FEW HUNDRED RANDS and bob is satisfied with 5 cents per R1 sale instead of commission of R14.55 which is what they should be getting!!SAY WHAT??This is not a personal inference to the seller but is the example i must use as this is the one raised in this thread.My understanding of dropshipping is that it be used for more expensive items where the capital outlay exceeds the start up capital normally available to most entrepeneurs AND LARGE EXPENSIVE STOCKHOLDINGS CANNOT AFFORD TO BE HELD ON HAND and not for R1 items where you make your profit from postage which is clear to anyone with half a brain.

I understand that dropshipping is acceptable business practise to bob but i cannot understand how they can allow commissions that would be due to them to slip through the net.Makes me want to go and take a dropsh$#.

NEIL

mellowred    10
mellowred
PS Many skillfully hide the postage with lo-ong details about real "nothings!"

I'm not referring to this listing specifically, but it's true that some sellers have very long very detailed T&Cs which remind me of a Time Share contract. So much waffle that the important bits are lost in the haze.

To be fair, I would think that R290 postage should be bold and in red so that it really stands out.

It's interesting to note the number of "negative ratings given to buyers" on this sellers page. :shock: Obviously a lot of bidders miss that postage.:weird:

mellowred    10
mellowred
Makes me want to go and take a dropsh$#.

NEIL

Brilliant. ROFLMAO. Best thing I could have read just before going to bed. :biggrin:

Miss Jewels    10
Miss Jewels

Hi ATA. I fully agree on your statement. Some of these rings are bought at eg. $7.00 - postage of first item $6.00, additional items $2.50 -

Converted to rands you're looking at approx R70.00 for the first ring. IF this parcel goes to customs (not all parcels do), you're looking at R70.00 plus 10%, plus 20% import duties, plus 14% vat. Your total is thus R105.34 - remember there are no duties on postage. Now we can see what a rip-off some of the postage fees are. I've just brought in a few $000's worth of goods. Yes, it's expensive this way, but when I sell the product, I can deliver immediately and with no hidden costs. Unfortunately, a lot of sellers are using the E-bay structure of selling.... cheap items and make the difference up with postage. Sorry, this is unethical business practice and I think BoB needs to seriously re-consider their drop-shippers, before we all want to have a dropsh$#. (in your own words)

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest

Well said Neil... icon14.gif

Makes me want to go and take a dropsh$#.

10/10! Good idea... :biggrin:

PS Thank you so much for your honest and unselfish "BOB Seller's" input Miss Jewels. You as a seller knows very well how unthankful and/or buyer-scrooges reacts... How is it possible that the price of an item is a mere 25% of what I pay?! The starting bid on that item was R101.00, NOT R1...

Thank you again... I shall DV surely buy from you too...

Edited by Edmund1000

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest

Let's see what happens when two current BOB-sellers sell close to similar value items on BOB - BOTH clearly buy from the same supplier. (Please see their photos. SAME background? Is it a fair assumption?) And one drops the starting bid bigtime... and, just "tweaks" the postage...

Please note: This is factual sales on BOB! I won one...

Is BOB not loosing too? Let's say >R300 000? worth get washed via postage a year...

Seller one:

444118-1108796358-b.gif

Starting Bid R1.00 (No Reserve)

Min. Bid Increment: R35.00

Let us have three bids: R71

Seller states: Postage: R145 per ITEM won NO COMBINED SHIPPING ON R1 NO RESERVE AUCTIONS.

Total: R216

Three Items won: R648

[seller reasons for high postage fees - telling you that all your worries will be sorted out...!? Really - please read it all.:

Shipping & Other Charges

NB: JEWELRY COMES FROM OUTSIDE SOUTH AFRICA:

International insured shipping via EMS (3-4days) to South Africa:

Thereafter Reg. insured mail to local postal address (3-4days). [:wtf:...!?]

Import duty, vat, insurance, express services INCLUDED in Shipping charge of R145 per item won.

NO COMBINED SHIPPING ON R1 NO RESERVE AUCTIONS. ON NON-JEWELRY ITEMS

(unless otherwise stated)]

Seller two:

1209019-4177650656-b.gif

Starting Bid R100.00 (No Reserve)

Min. Bid Increment R20.00

Let us have three bids:

Winning bid: R140

Postage: S.A POSTOFFICE -- ORDINARY MAIL WITH TRACKER - R35. (That's it - no long stories...)

R35.00 for the first item - additional items free

Total: R175

Three Items won: R525

To be fair, let's compare the sellers final selling-price.

Seller one: Only one bid - Total: R146

Seller two: Only one bid - Total: R135

Seller one: Three bids - Total: R216

Seller two: Three bids - Total: R175

Seller one: Three Items one bid 3 X R1 start + R435 postage - Total: R438 - On which part does BOB get commission from?: R3.00?

Seller two: Three Items one bid - 3 X R100 start + R35 postage - Total: R335 - On which part does BOB get commission from?: R300.00?

Seller one: Three Items - three bids Total: R648 - On which part does BOB get commission: R213.00?

Seller two: Three Items - three bids Total: R455 - On which part does BOB get commission: R420.00?

O-o so "clever..."

Facts are:

[1] The total will be more for seller one.

[2] Even with a start of R99 per item less than Seller two, Seller one will always win!

[3] Postage wins everytime - it pays bigtime to dropship like seller one does!! BOB even pays you back it seems...

I'm truly not trying to put anybody in a bad light. But telling BOB and everyone an item is specially imported for a buyer when it is very likely 100% not; is it not a great sham? Think about it...

Edited by Edmund1000
I made wrong calculations! Sorry - But seller one scores even better...

Miss Jewels    10
Miss Jewels

I think it's also important to remember the following: when a seller lists their items (not R1 auctions) their price is established. No-one is forcing the buyer to pay what he does not want to. It all depends on how badly they would like the item. This is the price that it will sell for. Irrespective it is worth the price. The postage should be justifiable to cover your actual costs of wrapping, postage, transport, etc. With R1 auctions we all take risks. We have all sold goods at a loss, but we've also made considerable profit on others. The postage charges should never be calculated in your pricing structure on your auctions. I'd rather sell something at a loss and keep my good name, than attempt to make up a possible loss with postage. As I'm a buyer and seller on BoB, I think it's important to look at both sides of the coin, which in this case, I did.

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest

[1] No-one is forcing the buyer to pay what he does not want to. It all depends on how badly they would like the item. This is the price that it will sell for. Irrespective it is worth the price. The postage should be justifiable to cover your actual costs of wrapping, postage, transport, etc. With R1 auctions we all take risks. We have all sold goods at a loss, but we've also made considerable profit on others. The postage charges should never be calculated in your pricing structure on your auctions. I'd rather sell something at a loss and keep my good name, than attempt to make up a possible loss with postage. As I'm a buyer and seller on BoB, I think it's important to look at both sides of the coin, which in this case, I did.

[1] That's very true what you said. Alas, that was not really the issue here - "blame" and "forcing a buyer" or "reading everything" is not the issue at hand: It's about sound moneymaking ethics: Two-way trust, honesty and integrity. To start with.

I asked somebody the other day..: Why should I think a BOB-seller = an alligator...? Waiting to nip at me when I least expect it... But I think we should not drift around anymore - experience and sober, sound decisions are are a good foundation for practical solutions.

Thank you so much for you valued input again.

Kind regards :smile:

PS

Let's say...

[1] If I buy from you and you tell me I must pay R50 postage and you pack it wisely and saves R30, I'll say: Great! Good for you!

[2] If you tell me you have to drive 160kilometers etc. to fetch my item and says the costs will be R600 for it, I'll say: Please do [or, no thank you] - Thank you.

[3] If you tell me you have to drive 100kilometers to fetch my item and demand R100 for it, and lied to me - I'll say: You can keep it - however, you are indeed nickel-and-dime con artist.

As we can see: It has surely nothing to do with what was read, blame or forcing anybody.

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest

Item bought on 5 Dec 2010 16:24

Paid it during 6 Dec 2010

Receive email: 7 Dec 2010 4:22PM Subject: Your Tracking Number from XXXXXX to Edmund1000

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Dear zzzzz,

I have dispatched your order with the following tracking number: PA0zxc03zz7ZA on 2010/12/07. **Please note** It may take up to 24 hours to reflect on the Post Office's database.

If you would like to track your parcel's progress goto the following website: http://sms.postoffice.co.za/tracking/Parcel.aspx or Google SAPO.CO.ZA and goto their Online Tools at the top of the page.

If you have any further queries, please contact me.

Thanks for your support!

Regards

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dear BOB,

People don't even have the decency to wait... :shock: What is the world coming to? Seller "Dan king" gets whipped for taking too long to ship his goods to his R1 buyers...

Here I am, shocked after reading that my R101 + "R290 International insured shipping via EMS (3-4days) to South Africa:

Thereafter Reg. insured mail to local postal address (3-4days) etc.", item is a day or so away from me?! :disgusted: (Talk about the "Damn if you do or don't scenario!)

I shall surely give this seller a good rating for very good service. Honestly.

But it cannot be said that there are any ill wil in this thread from any buyer or seller. I'm just feeling very sad and embarrassed after reading the email... Not angry at all. Thanking me for my support? Damn... What kind of Freudian slip is that?:nuts:

Anyway... No hard feelings - I have no right to judge people - just the right to dodge some...

PS I say let us rather smile! It's 100% free! :-))

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest
Essentially you guys are calling the seller a liar/scammer... without any evidence or proof... Maybe you should invite the seller to this forum so he can give his side of the story? Many dropshippers do not import in bulk for many reasons, one because such shipments are expensive to bring in when VAT and duties are payable on combined shipments, secondly, larger shipments are often detained for longer periods. Why would a seller advertise this fact, if it can be dispelled so easily - he risks his reputation and his future on the site?

Item bought on 5 Dec 2010 16:24

Paid it during 6 Dec 2010

Receive email: 7 Dec 2010 4:22PM Subject: Your Tracking Number from XXXXXX to Edmund1000

Hi again Cuan, since there is no reply from you - I have to reply to your serious warning to us - me, actually. That's the ONLY reason for this post. NOT to tell you; "I told you so..." [ I feel really :sad:... Not bad...]

Thank you again for your help.

qball    11
qball
Hi again Cuan, since there is no reply from you - I have to reply to your serious warning to us - me, actually. That's the ONLY reason for this post. NOT to tell you; "I told you so..." [ I feel really :sad:... Not bad...]

Thank you again for your help.

Like I said, you have made serious accusations, your "proof" was only presented after more comments - it was never presented when you started the topic. This is a serious allegation, and as I stated before, invite the seller to the forum to hear his side.

Asha Craft Jewellery    10
Asha Craft Jewellery

Cuan, can you please clear something up for me. My impression of dropshipping is when the supplier sends the item/s directly to the buyer. Not to the seller and then the seller sends it to the buyer.

Surely if the supplier sends the item directly to the buyer then all this 'guess who's conning who' business will be sorted. By the way, when a supplier dropships they dont use their website or company details, meaning the buyer cannot bypass the seller for a future purchase by contacting the supplier directly. Someone tell me if i'm wrong please....