Sign in to follow this  
ALJADA

Numismatics Q&A - Hosted by AlJaDa

tendaji

ERROR Circulated R5.00 Presidential Inauguration Coin - Fron

Hello Alex

I am in possession of a circulated R5.00 Presidential Inauguration Coin and the Front and Obverse do not line up.

Have you seen something similar and is it possible to define how the error occurred.

Thanks

Terrance

273257_5_Rand_1.jpg and273257_5_Rand_2.jpg

ALJADA

Hi Terrance,

The error you have stated in your post is called a Rotated Die error. This error occurs when one of the dies in the minting machine become loose because of the collar that holds them in place loosening after many strikes. This collar is usually checked as often as is possible to make sure it is holding the die tightly in place but sometimes it does become loose. Once loose it is possible for the die not to fall out but to rotate slightly in the collar and therefore the result is a coin which has design features which are not correctly aligned such as the coin in your picture.

Cheers

Alex

tendaji

Thank You Alex. Am I correct to presume that this type of error is fairly common

Terrance

ALJADA

It is one of the more commonly found errors in so far as its type is concerned. Errors of this type showing 15 degrees or less rotation are common whilst rotations of 45 degrees and higher are rare.

tendaji

Alex.

Thanks so much for the reply. Appreciated.

Terrance

lets do it

Hi, alex

Can you please help in answering my question.I have posted a new topic under die rotation error coins

Kind regards

Johan

lets do it

Hi,Alex

Here Are some off my error coin can you please comment on the following error coins.

1071216_DSC00339.JPG

1071216_DSC00337.JPG

1071216_DSC00350.JPG

1071216_DSC00351.JPG

1071216_DSC00348.JPG

1071216_DSC00349.JPG

1071216_DSC00352.JPG

1071216_DSC00353.JPG

1071216_DSC00358.JPG

1071216_DSC00359.JPG

1071216_DSC00362.JPG

Kind Regards

Johan

ZARBOY

Hi there

I found a Cape of Good Hope Token Coin in my collection in very much UNC grade with a rotated die, basically 180% rotation.

Hern's 2008, page 323, C2,1D

Was this common for these Tokens? Will NGC grade this coin as a rotated die?

Thanks again

4kids

Good Hope Token

Hi Zarboy. You can find the answer to this question by reading the same book page 322 and then refer to page 3 which shows the difference between Medal Struck such as most our SA coins or Coin Struck where the Obverse and reverse is rotated against each other by 180 degree. The pattern piece will not be graded as a rotated die...

Angolo Antico

Hi Alex,

I have a 1967 Silver R1-00 which I cant decide on and so ask you for your opinion and advise on this matter.

As per Hern's description, the 'pregnant' springbok variety Silver R1 is scarce and is only found on the 1967 Silver R1's.

Please view the image below and tell me if this is the actual 'pregnant' springbok or not.

The left image is of the coin in question while the right hand side is the 'normal' issue R1.

http://www.myimages.co.za/coins/springbok.jpg

Regards,

Devan

kritzingerf

Hi Alex,

I would like your highly valued opinion/guidance please. The 1995 R1 Protea depicting the railways has 2 documented varieties. The First is the one with the loco door and window frosted, and the 'correct' coin has the door and window mirror finished.

I noticed this on BoB... http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/9262079/1995_SEMI_FROSTED_RAILWAYS_COMMEMMORATIVE_1_10_oz_22_ct_PROOF_GOLD_COIN.html

This has the door frosted, and the window shiny. I have never before seen or heard of this variety. What is your opinion? Anybody elese that knows about this I am sure is also welcome to comment.

All advise is highly valued! Thanx

Francois

Pretoria

Pilgrims Rest

1995 Railways - Frosted/Unfrosted

Hi Francois...

Hope you are well...

Alex I hope you dont mind...and please jump in if I have it wrong...

There are actually 3 documented varieties in the 1995 raliways gold ( 1/10th and 1Oz ) and 2 Known Varieties in the Silver

Gold Varieties

1. Fully Frosted or Closed Window

2. No Frost or Open Window

3. Partial Frost ( Like the one on BoB, the one that U refer to )

They are all common varieties...

Silver Varieties

1. Fully frosted or Closed Window ( Very Scarse )

2. No Frost or Open Window

A Gentleman by the name of John Bothma helped with the original desighn of these coin's...After the Mint had produced about 30 of these silver coins ( Fully frosted ) they gave one to Mr. Bothma as a Keep Sake for his help....

When receiving this coin from the Mint he noticed that all the windows were frosted ( Closed Window ) and notified them that it was wrong....they then changed the die's .

Out of these 30 coins about 25 of them were sent to europe...leaving about 5 or so in South Africa...Hence the reason that the Silver Closed window Coins is so Scarse and Sought After....

Regards

Zululand Coins

kritzingerf

Thanx ZC,

I actually was not aware of this 3rd variety, hence my question.

all the best!

Francois

bwali

On the topic of frosted and no-frost, I’m sitting with 2 different Proof 1994 R1 Silver Inauguration coins, where the entrance of the Union Building on the one is frosted and the one not. Could somebody tell me if there was a X amount minted of the one and the value? :?:

pienkfly

Grading of Coins

Hi to all,

Can anyone please inform me on how to get coins graded. Preferably NGC graded

KAIZER SA

this column makes me SAD...alex are you all but lost to me?>

Virgotec

HiPlease excuse my ignorance, but what is the difference between short proof sets and long proof sets?

ZARBOY

Hi there

Some coins was issued with gold coins as part of the Proof set.

Basically short proof is all the coins in the year series without gold and long proof is with the gold coins.

Regards

Thomas van der Spuy

Cold Sea

I have noticed that the humpback R2 coin appears on the cover of the 1989 pattern set (brown). Now I think 2003 is the only year that the humpback appear on actual coins. Would I be right to assume that the rest of the R2 coins are all varieties.

Saint786

Hi to all

Can anyone please let me know what is ment when the coin is described as being a 'choice'

coin/grade.

Thanks in advance

4kids

Choice would in most instances mean a Brilliant Uncirculated piece i.e when graded should be a high MS grade. Hope this answer your question.

Idur00

MINT ERROR Mandela B/dday coin???

Hi

I hope any one can tell me if this really is a rare coin, and give me an indication of the value thereof. Where can I get it valuated and graded?

I have a 90th Birthday coin of which if you look at the front Mandela is in an upright position but the back crest is tilted +-45 degrees.

BumbleBee

What the heck has happened to Alex?:confused:

ALJADA

Here I am! I have been unable to maintain this sticky due to my work & personal commitments. The good news is I will soon be able to continue this sticky for the BOB numismatic community in conjunction with the soon to be launched CoinGuide website. Cheers Alex

357741_100115170947_1936_1S.jpg

KAIZER SA

alex,

i migliori auguri, la velocità di dio e la buona fortuna

indran