Sign in to follow this  
Iconoclast

Fake USB Drives on E-Bay (and BOB)

Iconoclast    10
Iconoclast

I recently purchased two USB Flash drives form a seller on BOB.

On attempting to use these, both drives proved to be faulty, and I subsequently did some research on the web to find a cause...

Apparently there are several types of counterfeit devices out there, and one of the manufacturers hit with this problem is Kingston.

I refer you to the You-tube video which details some of these drives at: YouTube - Exposing Fake Flash Memory on eBay

I also have four pictures detailing how to spot a fake drive which I will upload to you should you be interested.

I cannot blame the seller, who may also be an innocent victum of fraud, but I am not happy about having to pay postage there and back for an item which is basically useless.

What attracted me to this deal was the price, naturally. Guess there just is no free lunch.

Please follow E-Bay's example and warn your buyers/sellers about this scam.

I would appreciate your response.

Regards, Iconoclast

kebs    10
kebs

I also bought what turned out to be fake Kingston drives here.. Unforutnately I only tried using them about a year after I bought them or else I would have informed the seller..

MsPlod    10
MsPlod

Phew! That was an expensive mistake! For that price you could have bought yourself nearly three compact 640Gb portable HD!

Recently bought an excellent one on BoB (good brand, brand new, fast delivery, etc.) for R625 (incl shipping). They are robust and roughly 70x110mm - so easy to slip into a pocket or bag. Yes, I know that they are not as small and neat as a flash-drive, but they certainly deliver the goods.

kyle2    10
kyle2

They are selling these damned flash drives on nearly every corner here on the east rand, a mate of mine bought a couple and found them to be faulty. They are beautifully packaged and look safe, but are pretty much useless. If the flash drive is larger than an 8gig unit, approach with caution. the 16 and 32 and even the newer 64 and 128 gig units have plenty of counterfeit copies, and they are not limited to Kingston drives. There are Transcend couterfeits out there too amongst others. Rather buy from a store where at least you are able to get a refund or exchange.:push: