Guest Guest

Coming to South Africa

Guest Guest

I am currently planning another trip to South Africa for September-October 2011

I expect to be in JHGB 15-16 September and 14 October

Bloemfontein 22 September .. fly to

Cape Town 23-25 September drive up to

Durban 4-5 October via garden route and East Griqualand

and Pietermaritzburg 6th October to attend the monthly numismatic meeting there.

Much of my trip will be taken up meeting with the Griqua National Council and their communities across South Africa and a special meeting with the descendants on Sidoi (the Amahlangweni tribe near Umzimkhulu) who befriended Donald Strachan and formed a major part of his private army the Abalanadalosi in the 1800s.

The meeting in East Griqualand with the Amahlangweni is by invitation - so I am excited by this part of my trip.

Another highlight is the planned (walking) climb of the Ongeluksnek Pass in very early October. This pass used by the Griqua in the early 1860s to settle Nomansland (East Griqualand) is still in daily use by Sothos entering or leaving South Africa. You can see photos of the pass at this link: Day twelve - Kokstad, 14th October 2007

If any of the BoB collectors would like to meet me during my trip - please let me know in these early planning stages so I can try and work my itinerary around that. Feel free to PM me.

Kind regards

Scott Balson

Edited by ndoa18

coinoisseur

Scott, all the best with your travels...... Looking forward to seeing you at the PMB coin meeting....

Best Wishes

Guest Guest

Thank You

A big thank you to those on this forum who took the time to contact me over the last couple of weeks.

Now that my itinerary is starting to get rather full (time is never on my side) I am finalising arrangements for these meetings - and, without wishing to appear rude, just want to say that it is unlikely I will be able to meet with other collectors who have not already contacted me regarding a face to face catchup during my trip next year.

Kind regards

Scott Balson (Sydney)

Edited by ndoa18

Guest Guest

Thank You

A big thank you to those on this forum who took the time to contact me over the last couple of weeks.

Now that my itinerary is starting to get rather full (time is never on my side) I am finalising arrangements for these meetings - and, without wishing to appear rude, just want to say that it is unlikely I will be able to meet with other collectors who have not already contacted me regarding a face to face catchup during my trip next year.

Kind regards

Scott Balson