Sign in to follow this  
nixies

Items missing from parcels

nixies    10
nixies

Hi, I just want to make the sellers attend to the fact that items are dissapearing from parcels during transit. The item/s gets removed from the packaging which gets placed back into the parcel. For the buyer it looks like an empty box/bag was placed into the parcel/envelope. That means the seller never shipped the item, but an empty parcel. Most of the times you can hardly notice that somebody has tampered with the parcel. The thiefs are so clever and all work for the PO! Sellers must be aware of this. And if a buyer does not open the parcel and packaging in front of the PO staff and be able to proof that the parcel is empty, an insurance claim is worth nothing. I have had two cases the past 2 weeks. It is scary. And I would not have believed it if this has not happened to myself a couple of times before. Even by opening the parcels in front of the PO staff, I had a hard time to claim. The end result was a newspaper article about the whole ordeal with a cash refund, providing I keep it to myself. Nice one.

What do we do? Buyers easily rate negative should this happen. And I must admit, it does look fishy from buyers side.

I will appreciate more on this topic.

nixies

BumbleBabe    10
BumbleBabe

It is a good idea to have your parcel weighed when collecting it. If something has been take out there will be a difference. I have to say we are lucky, our PO got broken into and our parcel stolen, 2 days later they called and had the parcel all torn to bits. It was all there phew!

ATA STAMP CENTRE    10
ATA STAMP CENTRE

HI

As i sell light items to weigh the parcel will not make a difference.I am also afraid of items being removed from a parcel by po staff and arriving at the buyer empty-To open and reseal the jiffy lite envelopes i use is very easy,What about the buyer that perhaps has a vendetta against you or is jealous of your success and dishonestly states your parcel /envelope was empty when it arrives

.How can you dispute this?Has not yet happened to me with over 6700 successful despatches (touch wood) but it is a concern to me.I personally package each parcel i despatch and double check so i am sure from my side all is correct but am always waiting for that one dishonest buyer to take a chance either for financial gain and i know of one or two people out there who would love the opportunity to give a negative rating to a successful business that they are envious of.

NEIL

BumbleBabe    10
BumbleBabe

At the end of the day its the buyers responsibility. We have even had a speed service parcel stolen with over R1500 worth of coins in it. What can you do? We had to right it off. cant blame the seller.

ATA I was referring to the bigger parcels, cameras, dvd player and so on.

Vinyl Lady Decals    10
Vinyl Lady Decals

Hi

Yes, I agree this is always a concern.

I use so much packaging tape on the parcel that it will make it really difficult to get in easily.

But, that won't stop a determined thief.

With the jiffy envelopes I use, I tape every single edge and possible opening and fold the edges back and tape them against the envelope so that it would really be obvious of it was tampered with.

Sometimes I wonder if the buyers don't get annoyed with the amount of tape they have to wade through, but it is for their own protection.

To date I haven't had any parcels reach their destination that were tampered with.

I did have one parcel that was returned to me damaged that looked like a truck had driven over it. Maybe someone tried to get into it and decided to be malicious and damage the goods in anger.

Hopefully I won't get any nasty surprises.

mellowred    10
mellowred

I also use meters of tape on all parcels so that if anyone tampered with it it would be obvious. Possibly costs me R3 per large parcel, and costs the buyer an hour or so opening it :cool: but is well worth it.

All parcels (unless insured) are marked "books" so I'm working on the assumption that a PO thief would not be prepared to spend ages opening a parcel just to pinch a book.

MsPlod    10
MsPlod
To open and reseal the jiffy lite envelopes i use is very easyNEIL

Most of the sellers I buy from use packing tape to thoroughly seal these envelopes and as a buyer I just LOVE (thoroughly appreciate) the extra lengths traders go to to ensure that the parcel arrives safe and sound!

kebs    10
kebs

My post office weighs every single parcel themselves & writes the weight on the envelope, & initials it as well.. So hopefully I should be covered!

lilythepink    10
lilythepink
My post office weighs every single parcel themselves & writes the weight on the envelope, & initials it as well.. So hopefully I should be covered!

So does our PO, thank goodness! But I urge everyone who sends parcels through the PO to be as careful as they possibly can be about listing exact contents: write "personal effects" or, if the item is small enough to put in an envelope inside an old magazine, state "used magazine". It's when the thieves read the contents label on the parcel that it is at tremendous risk! I am strictly referring to parcels within SA - international parcels do need exact contents to be specified.

Asha Craft Jewellery    10
Asha Craft Jewellery

And I thought I was going crazy. I had a buyer last week telling me that she thinks I'm honest enough but that I MUST have forgotten to put the ring in the ringbox, because it is missing from the ringbox and the parcel was not tampered with. I went through my stock twice to make double sure and told her that there is no way I could have forgotten because my system works like this: I can't issue a tracking nr without physical stock. Meaning that if the ring was not drawn from stock, she would never have gotten a tracking nr. And then I check the order against the stock again before packaging. I'm the only one working with it, so it's not like someone could have stolen it before I sealed the package. SAPO won't accept the claim because she refused to open the parcel at the postoffice, even though my tracking nr email states that claims are null and void if the parcel is not opened infront of a postal clerk. I'm not going to carry the loss, it's just not fair. :colbert:

BumbleBee    10
BumbleBee

From the start I have been packing my parcels VERY well, using a method that I have found to work brilliantly against PO workers with sticky fingers. There is no way that anyone can dig through my parcels without raising a few eyebrows. I will pack the goods up securely with bubble wrap, cling wrap, cardboard, polystyrene and packing tape and whatever is available and practical for the type of goods being packaged, then wrap it up in some more stuff like paper or more card board followed by some more tape, then it goes into the envelope. If I have to use a box the box will get a health dose of tape also.

I have had a parcel go missing from a fellow forum member and I can be sure it is because of the way he packages his coins, each coin goes in a little ziplock bag and then gets chucked into an envelope. So shaking the package or even holding it up to the light will give a good indication of whats inside and if the envelope gets "accidentally" damaged or torn the contents is a free for all.

Basically if sellers want to make sure that nothing "evaporates" from their parcels during transit then use the parcel within a parcel method. When our PO was robbed a few weeks ago one of my parcels was also listed as stolen but later recovered because when the crooks ripped the package open and found that they had to unwrap another parcel covered in tape they simply dropped it and moved onto the next parcel. Thank you Renaldo (eZethu Coins) for spending an extra few minutes on your packaging to make sure the tsotsies had to work for their loot, and we all know how much they like to work :toung:

Edited by BumbleBee

nixies    10
nixies

Thx, this was really interesting feedback. And some definately helpful. Although my PO seals each and every parcel with "red wax" is doesnt help. I use the thick brown econo parcel envelopes. But its time to try a different approach. I now have enough ideas. Good luck posting!

anerstemens    10
anerstemens

I always stress about those speedservice bags lol I even take a stapler with and butt a few staple`s in the seal...

eZethu Coins    10
eZethu Coins

When our PO was robbed a few weeks ago one of my parcels was also listed as stolen but later recovered because when the crooks ripped the package open and found that they had to unwrap another parcel covered in tape they simply dropped it and moved onto the next parcel. Thank you Renaldo (eZethu Coins) for spending an extra few minutes on your packaging to make sure the tsotsies had to work for their loot, and we all know how much they like to work :toung:

Thank you kind sir for those kind words. Just my philosophy: No such thing as a free lunch - you wanna steal it - work for it :-) Anyone opening any of my parcels, might think I'm shipping packaging tape :-)

My other method is obviously not to shout COINS from the top of my lungs on parcels where content need to be specified, but rather collectibles or something similar without fibbing. Oh and my Sunday handwriting is used on Sundays only - all descriptions are written to be recognized only if I tell you what I wrote. Seems to work for me

BumbleBabe    10
BumbleBabe
Thank you kind sir for those kind words. Just my philosophy: No such thing as a free lunch - you wanna steal it - work for it :-) Anyone opening any of my parcels, might think I'm shipping packaging tape :-)

My other method is obviously not to shout COINS from the top of my lungs on parcels where content need to be specified, but rather collectibles or something similar without fibbing. Oh and my Sunday handwriting is used on Sundays only - all descriptions are written to be recognized only if I tell you what I wrote. Seems to work for me

Oh I know all about these well packed parcels, tried to help once to open some and just gave up. His coins his problem. I have also watched some get packaged and there is no way any one is having a quick look and you will notice if they tried. It amusing to watch but it is really safe and it works.