Sign in to follow this  
meeks

Insuring parcels

meeks    10
meeks

I just want to suggest that all sellers in turn, strongly suggest to their clients, to insure their parcels.

I had a parcel gone missing last week - from witspos hub, it was scanned to go to the client's post office, but never arrived, apparently along with a number of other parcels as well.

The post office tracking site shows the parcel was last scanned at witspos on the 19th of this month November 2010, and that is where the track ends.

I phoned witspos this morning,they tell me their records show it was indeed scanned out to the client's post office. I phoned the post office in question, they say, they received a sealed container (with parcels) from witspos, however the container was almost empty, only contained 5 parcels of about 20 recorded.

.I will certainly from now on mention in my listings, that the 2% extra for insurance is not just an option, but very strongly recommended, because of the postal situation, especially this time of the year.

BumbleBabe    10
BumbleBabe

It surely is a good idea. Why not just add the insurance into the postal cost? 2% really is not that much extra, just up the postage by a few rand and say that for now it will incl insurance. It really is worth the extra bit.

Asha Craft Jewellery    10
Asha Craft Jewellery

You can specify the 2% insurance as mandatory if you use Bidorbuy's shipping options feature. The 2% is automatically calculated and added to the buyer's total due on checkout. Just saying :)

BumbleBabe    10
BumbleBabe

cool thanks, did not know that. Good idea

eZethu Coins    10
eZethu Coins

The Witpos hub is famous for theft - mostly betweeen Witpos and the destination post office - go figure

StanM69    10
StanM69

I don't know how BoB calculates insurance. I sold 2 items at R1 each with R30 postage. Insurance at 5% was selected. Bob calculated my total value at R32.11. How can this be? I sent them a request for clarification a week ago but received no response.

eZethu Coins    10
eZethu Coins
I don't know how BoB calculates insurance. I sold 2 items at R1 each with R30 postage. Insurance at 5% was selected. Bob calculated my total value at R32.11. How can this be? I sent them a request for clarification a week ago but received no response.

Look back at how you have set it up and check if you have specified the 5% there for the calculation purposes. However, if you are making use of the normal Post Office insurance, you are not allowed to charge more than the 2% Post Office insurance rate, i.e. you are not allowed to make extra money from postage or insurance.

MsPlod    10
MsPlod

Ummmm, you actually made 1c!

5% of R2 = 10c :razz:

And 5% insurance is not really cricket you know... 2% is the standard most folks use on BoB?

StanM69    10
StanM69

I did set up, as I thought the correct way, but have now deleted the insurance option as the post Office tells me that insurance is included up to R100. In this case it is better to just offer the Registered Post option and to point out that Insurance is included up to R100. However that being said, if I should I sell multiple items and order value exceeds this, I would like to be able to offer insurance if it is calculated correctly. Assuming order value is R150 including postage of say R30 and based on 2% insurance, will BoB calculate on R150 or R120? i.e add R3 or R2.40 to total? have been unable to find the answers on site.Any advise is welcomed.

JPBon    10
JPBon

insurance would be on the 120 it does not include on the postage costs

StanM69    10
StanM69

I see this now and will correct in future. It does not however make sense to insure only the item value as this does not cover the postage cost. If an item is lost will the purchaser be happy to receive back just R2? Surely it would then be better to claim the full R32 from the post office?

StanM69    10
StanM69

Thanks for clarifying that.