Sign in to follow this  
TheJeweller

New Gems On The Market.

Cali Craft and Gems

@ Lily - I really hate to get involved with things like this, but it's more a case of "following and enforcing the rules" than interferring... Although I am expecting to be on the receiving end of more "hate mail" when they discover I contacted CW with my query.

PS. 4 other gem seller's accounts have been pointed out to CW too for possible problems! Makes you think how "desperate" sellers are becoming nowdays!

lilythepink

Cali, I don't think it's fair to call sellers "desperate". Con-men will always be con-men! I just hate to think of the many buyers who are so trusting! It's good that you (and others on the forum) are prepared to go to all lengths to protect buyers and ensure that BoB's sellers stay "clean". There isn't any room for dishonesty on this site!

Cali Craft and Gems

Ok granted, "desperate" was the incorrect word, but what I mean by it was more in the line of the seller's being possibly greedy by driving the prices up? Perhaps that is a better description of what I was trying to get at. Just because the seller was caught for shill bidding does not mean that they intended to be a "con-man" (or woman in this case)...

If you are not prepared to take a loss on an auction starting at R1 (if it does not reach it's potential price), then perhaps you should not be starting your auction at that price. Just my 2c worth...

lilythepink

@ Cali - I am not pointing fingers at anyone in particular when I refer to "con men", but I do refer to people who are less than perfectly honest and this goes in all walks of life!

@ MsPlod - I agree - what are folks thinking?

Celebrity Jewels

Hi All

Glad to see Anatoli - THE JEWELLER - posting, he is a colleague and a true gentleman. I have personally had several pieces set by him and his work and ethics are very special. Good to see you here Anatoli.

Best Regards

Brian

Celebrity Jewels

Hey Cali Craft, good to see you as well! Viva.

Celebrity Jewels

Hi All

Please do not be a stranger to THE JEWELLER - he is a good colleague of mine and has set some stunning pieces for customers that bought off me on Bidorbuy. He is one of the finest manufacturing jewellers I have met and his prices are great.

Keep that in mind please.

Regards

Brian

TheJeweller

I need help please.

I am crazy about sapphires and it is my birthstone.

I have seen so many of it and still confuse.

Sapphires - 1.06 CT. VIVID TRILLAINT KASHMIR BLUE NATURAL SAPPHIRE for sale in Johannesburg (ID:44279333)

I have ask if this is natural and answer was YES.

Sapphires - 1.32 CT. ROUND 6.2 MM. KASHMIR BLUE NATURAL SAPPHIRE was listed for R70.00 on 21 Aug at 22:01 by 2ndStreet in Johannesburg (ID:43924843)

But they all IF and the way they look I am very suspicious about that.

Origin - N/A

I need second opinion please.

If they good then I can spend all my money on them. :surprised:

Cali Craft and Gems

I've recently been rapped over the knuckles for selling basically the same thing - I too said it was natural (as per my supplier) yet lab certifications state otherwise. The gems are bought in as genuine diffused sapphire (or ruby) and when sent for certification, the lab results state that they are lab created or synthetic.

The argument is that a diffused gemstone is natural material that has undergone the treatment of diffusion. Diffusion is the natural material (corundum) is heated excessively in the prescence of other elements in laboratory conditions, and the result is a gemstone with improved colour and clarity (the "elements penetrate the gem at high heat levels").

According to the laboratories, a natural gemstone is one that is "untouched by man" so anything else (treated gemstones) is therefore synthetic? This has left sellers' red-faced as the buyer thinks that they have been scammed, bidorbuy pressurises the seller to refund the buyer in full including postage as the seller has "misled" the buyer by selling something that isn't what it is advertised as.

Ultimately I'm sitting with stacks of gemstones that have been bought as "diffused sapphire" or "diffused ruby" and I do not know how to advertise them. Right from the word go I always stated that the treatment was diffusion, yet I'm still in trouble. What now?

I've suggested to one of my buyers to try and find a lab who actually knows how to identify a diffused gemstone, and to let everyone know how the lab can test for this without destroying the gemstone. So far "no-one" can assist... and the buyers scream FAKE due to not knowing the truth!

(The example I have given is that if you take a piece of paper and fold it using the Origami method into a shape, is the material still not paper? Ie. Natural? Just because the gem has undergone a treatment should not mean that it is unnatural!)

Edited by Cali Craft and Gems

Lukeness

@ TheJeweller

The fact that the stone are IF is a concern and would make me rather wary. Something else that is concerning is that there appear to be a fairly noticeable number of abrasions on the table/crown facet junctions. Sapphire is extremely tough and second only to diamond in hardness and should have few these, especially if it's being bough as new.

@ Cali Craft and Gems

Natural gems are gems that are mined and naturally formed. Treatments (like diffusion) will not result in them being classified as synthetic.If the gems have been classified as such, then they are man made. Diffusion will not make a gem appear to be synthetic.

This is an issue that should be taken up with your supplier. While you are acting in good faith based on information they've provided you, your supplier appears to have misled you.

TheJeweller

I don't know about sellers on bob but if I sell a Gem to my client I am responsible for what I sell.

If I sell synthetic stone as a real then client can open a case against me.

This can cause lots of trouble, reputation and money will be involved.

I will certainly point to a source where I purchased the goods.

Why is some sellers don't understand that it is not so innocent to mislead people.

Sooner or later it will cause a Big Bang in here and I don't want to be around.

motherearth

I agree fully with the above statement, "my supplier said!" which normally means bought from another auction site! , is just a big cop-out. A synthetic Sapphire will certify as synthetic, end of story(unless of course you make your own certificates! then it will certify as to whatever you want it to):notrust: Sellers should take full responsibility for what they sell, either learn the trade or move to another one!

MiemsJewels
I don't know about sellers on bob but if I sell a Gem to my client I am responsible for what I sell.

If I sell synthetic stone as a real then client can open a case against me.

This can cause lots of trouble, reputation and money will be involved.

I will certainly point to a source where I purchased the goods.

Why is some sellers don't understand that it is not so innocent to mislead people.

Sooner or later it will cause a Big Bang in here and I don't want to be around.

Hi Anatoli, you've bought some gemstones from me a while ago. Can you tell me if those gemstones were authetic? Just as a matter of interrest please.

Regards

Miems

Edited by MiemsJewels

alloway65

Caveat Emptor (Let The Buyer Beware).

A few years ago when I was new to BoB I decided to collect gemstones as I like beautiful things. I sussed out various BoB Gemstone sellers and decided from whom to buy. I soon discovered sellers who were or appeared to be genuine knowledgeable sellers and who were not…this must have taken me year or so thanks to my education on the BoB Gemstone Forum. So I settled down to buying from about five or so trusted Gemstone sellers. Over time, when I had queries re my gemstone purchases, I discovered that even certain of these trusted sellers relied completely on what their sellers told them about the gemstones they were onward selling on BoB…..very disappointing! However when I decided to return certain suspect gemstones this was very seldom a problem……so there was mostly honesty among gemstone sellers, although detailed knowledge was seriously lacking. One guy I quite liked from whom I bought a quantity of large “gemstones”, over time it transpired that most of what he sold me were hydrothermal stones! I eventually sent a batch of stones to Luke for checking and these sellers stones were all (very nice looking) Hydrothermals!

Somehow I think things got too hot for this guy as all of a sudden there were sob stories about stock losses etc and he disappeared from BoB.

A year or so later when I was trying to catalogue my various collections, when I went into my BoB history to re look at my gemstone purchases….I found the guy was back on BoB under a new username and now selling “electronic” equipment!

Buy Gemstones with extreme caution.

Regards David

Edited by alloway65

TheJeweller
Hi Anatoli, you've bought some gemstones from me a while ago. Can you tell me if those gemstones were authetic? Just as a matter of interrest please.

Regards

Miems

I have checked what I can find is a few pink Topaz, which is stated as Irradiated.

Few green Amethysts and Peridot's.

Here can not be mistake, all real.