Sign in to follow this  
Pierre_Henri

Metal Detecting Cape Town, South Africa

MsPlod
I am SO envious! Please let MrAerospace know that I want one for Christmas!! :biggrin:

Going to PM him NOW! LOL!

My first coin ever with my Metal Detector. A 10c piece dated 1975. It might not be the find of the decade but it is a start.

That IS exciting - not a big coin so it means you are doing rather well with the MD. They are quite tricky to get to work properly - like everything, practice, practice, practice. My dogs and cats are most intrigued with me wandering around the garden trying to get the "flat-swing technique" correct LOL! The ball-crazy dog keeps dropping his ball in the way hoping I'll knock the ball so he can chase it.

wayjen

I found that sometimes I had to dig a bit to get something but it was still fun and we learn as we go along.

lilythepink

Well, MsPlod's "tip off" to MrAerospace in a PM has HIM wanting an MD, too! Imagine that! We shall have to stop MrAerospace going into the "Iron & Steel" business so that I can use the MD without hindrance (when we get it!) MrAerospace says he's sending me into the iron business and he, by night, will go into the steal business! :biggrin:

wayjen

I hope Pierre can answer this. What are your thoughts on dowsing rods, I hear some people use them and they are also being sold online. I have heard you can make your own with welding rods.

Cold Sea

Detecting is a wonderful way of discovering history, coinage etc. However, summer detecting, phew. I started just after six o' clock the weekend (I am interrogating a secret location, check the weather map and you might Sherlock Holmes me) but I had to pack up sooner than I would have liked. Any ways, great hobby and great fun.

wayjen

good to hear that another Capetonian is doing this, nice Cold Sea. When we returned from our walk on the beach We saw some places that we would like to hunt so maybe next week.

Pierre_Henri

It wasn't me ...

It is NOT me in the picture when you scroll down - but I surely hope it was ...

Hope to find that hoard of gold coins under my metal detector's coil shown in the pic - but what were YOU thinking about ? -LOL !!

See here...

Combing the beaches for treasures | bidorbuy Official Blog

wayjen

I saw a maiden in distress thats all.

Pierre_Henri

Thoughts on dowsing rods ...

Sorry - I just saw one of the questions above regarding Dowsing Rods

Those wire things people are walking about holding in two hands and searching for anything from water to treasure – the wire bend upwards or downwards when whatever is detected

My thoughts on dowsing rods are the following –

Myth Busters should expose them in their next episode as absolute rubbish... laugh-out-laugh searching tools – a sure thing to stay far away from...

Pierre

wayjen

The reason I asked was that there was a guy selling these on eBay and people were suspect of the items too.

lilythepink

Regarding dowsing rods ... MrAerospace's old uncle (long since departed this earth!) was a water douser. I saw him in action a few times and I KNOW that water was found as three sites actually were drilled and had plentiful water from the boreholes. He used wooden sticks in the shape of a "V", nothing metal!

wayjen

just came back from the beach and got 2 x 5c coins. Now whilst this may be small fry stuff to others it is a start for me, thats 20c in the last 2 weeks.

unicoin

Metal Detector

HI Pierre,

I must say, I enjoyed it too. Where would one acquire one of these detectors?

I have a Garrett ACE metal detector which I bought sometime ago. Only used it about for 2 hours and lost interest and patience.

It is in almost brand new condition. I am thinking on selling it. If you are interested, you can contact me.

Regards

Andrea

E_Commerce2000

Specks and price?, are you going to list on BOB?.J.

wayjen

there might be plenty of interested parties for a metal detector.

Pierre_Henri

Make very sure what you are buying ...

A beginners metal detecting machine will only bring you sorrow and will end up in the Wendy House with the other moth-balled too-good-to-be-true junk bought over the years.

Metal Detecting is no laughable hobby and I for one have learned my lesson well - good machines start at near to R10 000.

Please do not get sucked in by promises of gold being found by primary school toys making beep-beep noises...

Pierre

TheJeweller

I got interested in this hobby.

Since I was a kid I was collecting coins and all kind of old junk.

Now that I am expecting big changes in my business and I will have lots of time to travel

I got curios about metal detector and did research.

A good metal detector made in Germany cost around 8500.00 Euro.

Why Germany? They made this things since WW-II.

A serious person will have to travel and that cost even more.

In US a good metal detector cost around $2.500

You can not buy detector for $50 and expect to find something in your back yard.

That lucky kid in Article? That's all he is, just a lucky kid.

His father was doing this for many years and didn't find anything.

Well, anything that any good.

Serious person must have lots of time, to study history and do research before jump

in to something.

It is a nice hobby but it is required lots of free time and money.

MsPlod
A beginners metal detecting machine will only bring you sorrow and will end up in the Wendy House with the other moth-balled too-good-to-be-true junk bought over the years.

Metal Detecting is no laughable hobby and I for one have learned my lesson well - good machines start at near to R10 000.

Please do not get sucked in by promises of gold being found by primary school toys making beep-beep noises...

Pierre

Thanks for the warnings Pierre-Henri! Makes good sense. What I am finding though is that by starting with the simple, beginner's MD I am learning how to work with it and am finding things (screws, nails and other junk) already. Like most other hobbies, this takes loads of practice (and patience) and I believe that had I bought a really super de luxe MD to start with - I might be feeling a little desperate. Even on my little Altari there are so many things to learn and I am getting the hang of how to sweep.

One day - when I grow up - I may well go for a more complex model, but this one is already doing rather well . Saved us a few flat tyres as well as punctured feet already - LOL!!

unicoin

Metal Detector

there might be plenty of interested parties for a metal detector.

The Garrett Metal Detector was imported from America and cost me, last year R3600-00. Still have all the invoices.

There is a instruction DVD, instruction Manual etc. At least it is definately not from China. I also did some research.

Not everybody can afford a R10 000-00 metal detector or want to pay that money for a new hobby. I am sure this will do for a beginner.

This one still have its original batteries.

You can go to www.garrett.com for further information.

Will in an way put it on bid or buy

voldermort

Exactly what I was thinking.......why on earth would somebody who is starting out want to or even be able to afford to spend R10 000?

It is just my thoughts but for a novice hobbyist unless you have plenty money to throw around, R10 000 makes it no longer a pleasurable start up hobby, but an obligation.

Edited by voldermort

wayjen

Oh no what a let down. Is that why there are only 20 odd people in Cape Town doing metal detecting because of that price tag? When I read the original thread about metal detecting I took my one out the cupboard (also with original batteries inside and still working with no corrosion after 5 years) and I hit the beaches with my family and we enjoyed it tremendously but hearing this price tag and we using mickey mouse equipment makes me wonder if it's only for the elite.

Cold Sea

If you do not know your machine, good or bad, cheap or expensive, you will dig trash all day long. The more you work at it, the luckier you get. If you are looking for a quick buck, you may be better off playing the lotto. :sneaky:

wayjen
If you do not know your machine, good or bad, cheap or expensive, you will dig trash all day long. The more you work at it, the luckier you get. If you are looking for a quick buck, you may be better off playing the lotto. :sneaky:

tell that to the 4 yr old in England.

unicoin

Metal Detector

Maybe I am too old to learn this thing (the metal detector) and also we do not visit the areas anymore where I could perhaps find something useful or valuable.

Just for interest sake, I called the import company this morning for a price on my metal detector and the new price is now R4200-00. My one is still under guarantee. Electronic pinpointing etc. must say very impressive.

Although it is not that expensive one, (expensive enough I must say). It is in new condition.

I shall put it on bob and see what happens. I do not need it anymore.

Regards

Andrea

lilythepink

Well I'm waiting for my MD from the UK to arrive any day now by Royal Mail. And it may not be the fanciest of gadgets but I intend having great fun with it and, no doubt, walking around a lot more than I do at present! lol

Edited by lilythepink