Sign in to follow this  
ATA STAMP CENTRE

Too many signed mandela items lately!!

ATA STAMP CENTRE

HI

Has any one else noticed how many signed mandela items there have been listed lately??i seriously doubt that so many were signed as i have been collecting MADIBA SIGNATURES for many years.What to look out for is that most of these look exactly the same and these are from a rubber stamp used quite frequently and these cannot be certified as original.

.I have signatures from different years and one can clearly see the signature change over the years-I see one seller also provides their own certificate of authenticity??Thats like auditing your own books and fooling even yourself.ANY other views on this??

neil

Little Miss Muffet

I think that it is sometimes a copy but the person selling it thinks it is original.

I have a signed item of Ripley's believe it or not listed .It is addressed to the actual person I got it from but whether it is just her name that is filled in originally it is hard to tell.

alloway65
HI

Has any one else noticed how many signed mandela items there have been listed lately??i seriously doubt that so many were signed as i have been collecting MADIBA SIGNATURES for many years.What to look out for is that most of these look exactly the same and these are from a rubber stamp used quite frequently and these cannot be certified as original.

I had the same thought a while ago, tried to do a comparison, then got busy and it slipped my mind. I agree a lot of the current Mandela signatures are quite precise very much identical!:unsure:

I have an earlier signature (copy) and it is quite rough and "wobbly".....not like the "firm" "Mandela" signatures we are seeing now!

babyface2

also strange to me, although i never open the listing and looked at it, i mentioned to hubby that this seller /s must have contact with madiba in order to have all these items signed

kyle2

Any signed merchandise should be scrutinized before one buys it, unfortunately there are many who will try and pass off forgeries. Madiba is a very popular figure and an easy target, there will be those who will try and make a quick buck.

Marnitz01

I have to agree with you guys, as this exact issue is making it extremely difficult for me to get even one offer for the two books that I have signed by him. Although there are alot of fakes out there, there are quite a number of books etc genuinely signed by Madiba. For instance, i can think of a couple of hundred! My husband whos a bodyguard for pres Zuma, used to be VIP protector for Madiba in his reign as president and had 2 copies of Long walk to Freedom signed at Tuynhuis in 1999. And so did all his collueges. But now, people are so sceptical because of all the fake signatures out there, that no one even wants to go through the effort of making an offer, fearing it might be fake. I guess the best thing to do would be to have it authenticated.

dstorm

Hello all

I have seen one of the certificates at a dealer’s stand a short while ago. While I cannot remember the exact wording, it sounded something like this: It is in our opinion most probably genuine.

Why anybody would fall for such a lot of drivel is beyond me. Now is the time to become rich.

In the stamps world we mostly accept only certificates from reputable organizations (not companies) and the certificates are signed by at least three experts (in the specific field).

In any case, as one of the sellers on BoB once said (very loudly) while an auction was in progress at a very respectable auction company: Certificates are for people who do not know what they are buying.

Regards

Jacques

alloway65
I have to agree with you guys, as this exact issue is making it extremely difficult for me to get even one offer for the two books that I have signed by him. Although there are alot of fakes out there, there are quite a number of books etc genuinely signed by Madiba. For instance, i can think of a couple of hundred! My husband whos a bodyguard for pres Zuma, used to be VIP protector for Madiba in his reign as president and had 2 copies of Long walk to Freedom signed at Tuynhuis in 1999. And so did all his collueges. But now, people are so sceptical because of all the fake signatures out there, that no one even wants to go through the effort of making an offer, fearing it might be fake. I guess the best thing to do would be to have it authenticated.

Can you please post a BoB link if the books are still on offer....also an image of the MANDELA signature in this thread...if possible. Thank you David.

anerstemens

I don't know how they are getting all these signature as many forum members know I`ve brought up the authenticity of signed items before,

interesting article that follows:

Johannesburg - The Nelson Mandela Foundation has appealed to people worldwide to allow the former president to have a peaceful retirement as hundreds of requests for his time and signature continue to stream in.

Madiba received about 4 000 messages per month, many of them asking for his signature, a message of support, a public appearance or an interview, it said in a statement on Thursday.

There were also continued pleas for him to intervene in struggles around the world, and to endorse various causes.

“He no longer grants interviews nor does he respond to formal questions from the media, researchers or members of the public,” the foundation said.

“Given the huge number of projects and causes he is asked to endorse and the impossibility of selecting a few among the many worthy requests, he no longer provides messages of support, written or audio visual. Because of the sheer volume of requests for his autographs, he no longer signs books, memorabilia, photographs.”

The foundation appealed to the public not to send items for him to sign, as it could not guarantee the safe return of the material.

“The Nelson Mandela Foundation would like to ask people everywhere to help make Madiba's retirement a time of peace and tranquillity.”

Mandela responded to these calls in 1999 by saying: “I don't want to reach 100 years whilst I am still trying to bring about a solution in some complicated international issue.”

In 2004 he announced his intention to leave public life, and tasked three organisations - the Nelson Mandela Foundation, the Nelson Mandela Children's Fund and the Mandela Rhodes Foundation - with carrying on his humanitarian work.

Four years later during his 90th birthday celebrations, he called on people to pick up the baton of his leadership, saying: “It's in your hands to make the world a better place”.

Mandela Day, on Nelson Mandela's birthday, was later implemented in the hope it would lead to a global movement of 67 minutes of community service.

“Thank you for your continued support and your warm wishes to Mr Mandela,” the foundation said. - Sapa

Marnitz01

Hi David.

Yes, the books are still available. Both the books have personalised messages with my name as well as my mom's name (as one of the book belonged to her). So the message says : "To Zelda" "Best Wishes" And then the part you see below. Please let me know if you need any other info. I was not planning on selling them now, but unfortunately dont have a choice.

ZeldaSigned..jpg.c0398dd158da1d6a62f42e7b11661e93.jpg

Kit W

Hi Marnitz01

It would seem as if you have FOUR signed copies of this book available. I say that because there is a possibility that bids can be placed on AUCTION and BUY NOW at the same time and you will have to produce four copies should all get bids. There is already an interest shown in your items with an automatic enhancement thanks to placing them on the forum!! Maybe I have the wrong end of the stick :confused: :wink::wink:

Enjoy the day

Kit W

Edited by Kit W
spelling

MsPlod

One comment here is that irrespective of whether the signature is valid or not, it is not acceptable to have the books on both "buy now" AND on auction at the same time. At present it means that you have four books for sale and not two.:wondering:

Marnitz01

Hi Kit

I am very new to this so thankyou for pointing that out! I had no idea... I basically only registered as a seller on BOB to sell these books..

Zelda

alloway65

You beat me to it guys re the 2/4 items...just returned to my office.

Zelda we are all here to assist you.....we were all beginners at one time....I still am!

Marnitz01

Thankyou so much. I have deleted the auction ad. As mentioned, i am totally new to this. Thanks for pointing that out.

z

alloway65

58f5a71dba08f_NMS1..JPG.0bf5f8697232235c1f9695ea2063d0cc.JPG

The NM signature I have !

Marnitz01

alloway65

Im sorry to say this but that is NOT his signature at all! Not at all. Maybe an expert can assist you in verifying it, but I can assure you, that is not his signature.. That is actually extremely scary. :meh:

alloway65
alloway65

Im sorry to say this but that is NOT his signature at all! Not at all. Maybe an expert can assist you in verifying it, but I can assure you, that is not his signature.. That is actually extremely scary. :meh:

Interesting.....It is only a photo of the original, I bought it on BoB from a collector...I will ask his opinion and to comment! thanks for your input!

anerstemens

removed my post before I upset someone by saying its a fake. i`m not qualified to say it`s a fake and no "expert".but do some research:toung::toung::toung::toung::toung:

Edited by anerstemens
I`m not a expert

alloway65
alloway65

The photo of the photo I have...other comments appreciated.

NMP2..jpg.943f9e674cf9b714e79e620e71ad10a1.jpg

alloway65
That is not Nelson Mandela signature , I KNOW THIS FOR A FACT , ! this is a fake a really bad fake!

I have contacted the BoB Seller and asked him to comment on this thread.

MsPlod

Sorry to say this - but (as an admittedly complete ignoramus) your Madiba signature does look very wrong indeed alloway65.

Was intrigued and had a look at a few others around on internet... First on BoB...

Advertising - nelson mandela A4 sighned photo true collectors item!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! was sold for R1,977.00 on 3 Nov at 13:08 by barganboy in Kokstad (ID:9885419)

Mandela Memorabilia - Nelson Mandela signed First Day Cover was sold for R4,100.00 on 13 Nov at 10:01 by thearchivegallery in Johannesburg (ID:16953428)

Mandela Memorabilia - AUTOGRAPHED NELSON MANDELA 90TH BIRTHDAY STAMP WITH CERTIFICATE was sold for R5,000.00 on 12 Feb at 15:01 by JULIET PARRISH in Pretoria / Tshwane (ID:18837196)

Nelson Mandela Signature "N. Mandela"

Then elsewhere...

| About Artist | Clocktower Art Gallery (which are fakes - Mandela artworks are 'fakes', London gallery told - News - Mail & Guardian Online) but the signatures must closely resemble his...

The Robben Island Bible: Nelson Mandela's Signature

Nelson Mandela Signature "N. Mandela"

and finally...

Newsletter Handwriting University.com - Special Edition National Handwriting Week leading handwriting expert Bart Baggett - handwriting, handwriting analysis, handwriting, graphology, handwriting, handwriting analysis, personality, handwriting

Of course - no guarantees that any of these are indeed genuine - but they all do appear to have similar handwriting characteristics.

Just the very defined upstroke starting the "M" and "N" of the signature on your photo is enough to make me suspicious. I am sure that those graphologists out there will be able to determine all the issues but will be interested and intrigued to hear more.

alloway65

Thanks MsPlod, I bought the photos from JP, so it will be interesting to get a comment. If memory serves me a stamp dealer bought bought some as well!:cry:

MsPlod

Yes it will be interesting to hear what David's take is on this!

Edited by MsPlod
removed link to item - the seller should speak first?