Sign in to follow this  
MsPlod

Ahem - if I may continue on this topic...

MsPlod    10
MsPlod

Just changed forums to do it in a different forum (not the CW forum).

Personally I do not care whether items are posted free, or sent by Lear Jet - what I am suggesting is that sellers might be requested (by BoB) to detail what their postage costs entail - by using a simple table (spread sheet type). Once set up - all new listings would include the table... So at a glance all buyers would be able to see where costs are allocated. It would remain the domain of the individual seller to have high shipping costs should they choose - but it would be wonderful if BoB could make it standard practice for:

(1) ALL sellers to include shipping fees up front rather than buyers having a surprise after a succesful bid

(2) All shipping charges to be detailed - many sellers do this already to some extent, the format could however be standardised (by BoB) so that it is part of the auction/buy now template.

As a buyer - I believe it is important that sellers be allowed to charge fairly for all their expenses (time, labour, materials, costs, etc.) so see no problem AT ALL with shipping charges that exceed the SAPO rates.

The spread sheet would look something like this... (don't crit the figures - I don't have time to get the details:toung:)

9635278.jpg

I believe that it would reduce the number of complaints - I have bid on any number of items with "high" postage costs - but simply do not bid higher than the total price I am willing to pay. If someone wants to charge R90 for shipping a second-hand tennis ball then let them - their sales will be the ones to suffer and they will continue to issue SNCs and waste their time with non-payers.

OK sellers - you may now load your weapons and shoot me and my suggestions down...

2gunsfiring_v1.gifflamethrowingsmiley.gif

BumbleBabe    10
BumbleBabe

BOOM BOOM

I dont have graphics :toung:

Depot Three    10
Depot Three

I would send everything by Space shuttle :-)

wayjen    10
wayjen

and size of article?

brands online    10
brands online

While I agree totally about shipping charges stated upfront being obligatory ( I can for the life of me not see why it isn't so already), I still can't agree with this template thingy. It's not a buyer's business what a seller's costs are. Also, buyers "play" stupid or act "clever". They WILL end up asking you things like "You sell so many items, you only have to make one trip to the post office, so you can cancel that charge from my other 20 items", etc.

It's even funnier how loads of "new" buyers didn't "read properly" and are so "new" that they don't understand the basics, but know enough to mail BOB to complain or complain in the forum...

While we can make excuses for buyers and say they're new blah blah, fact of the matter is they buy cos they want it. And if you want something, pay for it, look for it somewhere else cheaper or forget about it...

It's always a pleasure to see proposed solutions but recognising the problem is foremost. And the problem is I maintain,

"Almal wil alles vir niks kry"...

bobBing is not a competition you enter for R1 and then win something. :nuts:

You're buying something so you must pay what's asked... how much more simple can that be?

MsPlod    10
MsPlod
BOOM BOOM

I dont have graphics :toung:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh! you got me

Here's another graphic for you .... bash_1_.gif LOL!

While I agree totally about shipping charges stated upfront being obligatory ( I can for the life of me not see why it isn't so already), I still can't agree with this template thingy.

The template thingy is definitely not as important as having the shipping charges clearly identified for each item.

And the problem is I maintain, "Almal wil alles vir niks kry"...

Many regular buyers would probably disagree with that (although everyone loves a freebie) - but then most of the regular buyers tend to choose (go back to) sellers whose shipping costs are fair - or at least within reasonable limits, and whose combining costs are zero, low or negligible.

Edited by MsPlod
Afterthought...

brands online    10
brands online
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh! you got me

Here's another graphic for you .... bash_1_.gif LOL!

The template thingy is definitely not as important as having the shipping charges clearly identified for each item.

Many regular buyers would probably disagree with that (although everyone loves a freebie) - but then most of the regular buyers tend to choose (go back to) sellers whose shipping costs are fair - or at least within reasonable limits, and whose combining costs are zero, low or negligible.

In reality, combined costs are and should be construed as a favour to 'buyers'. There are lots of seller who don't combine at all. Some have been on BOB for years and sold thousands and thousands of items. They use claims of a parcelling service, etc. so they must charge fully for each item. Combining 'reduces' the buyer's shipping cost if anything. The more you buy, the less you pay. If a buyer doesn't return because they can't wrap that concept around their heads, that's upto them, but like I say lots, maybe even most of my buyers personally return. I'm pretty sure it's not my looks, so it must be the products on offer and the service and delivery that goes with that. They get what they pay for...

MsPlod    10
MsPlod
In reality, combined costs are and should be construed as a favour to 'buyers'. There are lots of seller who don't combine at all. Some have been on BOB for years and sold thousands and thousands of items. They use claims of a parcelling service, etc. so they must charge fully for each item.

I'd argue that it is less a "favour to buyers" and more of a successful "sales strategy". Those sellers who do not combine - but nonetheless offer the "bang for the buck" are certainly going to keep their regulars happy and the newbies who do not like it simply have to get with the general program - indeed!

Combining 'reduces' the buyer's shipping cost if anything. The more you buy, the less you pay. If a buyer doesn't return because they can't wrap that concept around their heads, that's upto them, but like I say lots, maybe even most of my buyers personally return.

Since you presumably give the value that is paid for? Your ratings certainly indicate that it might be so!

I'm pretty sure it's not my looks, so it must be the products on offer and the service and delivery that goes with that. They get what they pay for...

Garn!!! Looks, products, service and delivery - you have it all BO!! LOL!

The irony here is that I am not trying to get you trading folks to drop (or even to justify) your shipping prices - although there are indeed some pretty shocking shipping price stories - just attempting to reduce the amount of conflict.

So....

It is entirely up to the trader how much they charge for shipping - TOTALLY agree!

It is entirely up to the buyer to identify (through Q&A - or simply reading the item description clearly) the defined and/or "hidden" costs of any item they bid on - TOTALLY agree!

It is preferable to have all traders list their shipping costs for each and every item before bidding opens?

You and I appear to agree - maybe others do too...

Finally - to any sellers who continue to bump their head with buyers complaining about their "high" shipping charges, I strongly suggest that you consider providing a breakdown of the actual costs of shipping - to reduce the moaning, and also to identify where you might in fact be making just a little extra on shipping. You just never know, by dropping your shipping charges by R5 or R10 you may find that you are dealing with significantly fewer SNCs, complaints, non-payers, slow-payers, etc. Just a thought...

and here is some more weaponry to point my way... smiley_bliss_1_.gifrocketwhore_1_.gif LOL!

brands online    10
brands online

:smile: MsPlod, if only common sense would prevail all the time. Though it usually does, one has to accept that there will always be chancers, (oops buyers), who will complain. Have learnt to accept that it goes with the territory. Again, the price we pay for the life we choose...

Don't hand me a gun... this is SA, everyone has strict instructions to shoot to kill :toung:

mellowred    10
mellowred

MsPlod, your graphics are superb :smile:.

One thing I do agree with is that postage should be obligatory and should be highlighted somewhere on the listing. I don't really beleive that providing a breakdown of costs is going to reduce conflict. Here I agree with Brands Online.

They WILL end up asking you things like "You sell so many items, you only have to make one trip to the post office, so you can cancel that charge from my other 20 items", etc.
Perhaps you could do something for postage like the "READ THE RATINGS BEFORE BIDING OR BUYING" flasher you created.

Also combining of items is easy for me - I sell two items a month :nuts:. But if you are processing several hundred of orders a week it could get confusing. However, this does not justify charging per item and throwing everything in one box - that is a totally different issue.

The facts are:

Some people are greedy and try to rip honest buyers off with excessive postage fees.:cry:

Some people are greedy and try to rip honest sellers off by trying to get as much for a little as possible.:sick:

All people who are greedy get found out and are eventually avoided.:noworry:

mellowred    10
mellowred
Don't hand me a gun... this is SA, everyone has strict instructions to shoot to kill :toung:

... And that is why we love it so. Never a dull moment. :wub:

brands online    10
brands online

mellowred... I needed that chuckle right now... busy with admin for the last hour or two and it get tedious.... Ta :smile:

BumbleBabe    10
BumbleBabe

Basically what I get from all this, and agree with is:

Clearly indicate what postage will be - NO as the seller BS

MsPlod    10
MsPlod
Perhaps you could do something for postage like the "READ THE RATINGS BEFORE BIDDING OR BUYING" flasher you created.

Working on it...

The facts are:

Some people are greedy and try to rip honest buyers off with excessive postage fees.:cry:

Some people are greedy and try to rip honest sellers off by trying to get as much for a little as possible.:sick:

All people who are greedy get found out and are eventually avoided.:noworry:

Applause! cheering.gif

Don't hand me a gun... this is SA, everyone has strict instructions to shoot to kill

Okie dokey here's another one... gotcha_1_.gifLOL!

mellowred    10
mellowred

Crickey Riley, this postage rip-off discussion is getting pretty violent - guns, bombs, and could this be ToiToi cheering..gif.a683f4fbc4441862f29b1441056a22d2.gif?

MsPlod the ToiToi guy is far too cheerful for so early in the morning. If I had a rocketwhore_1_..gif.22c9294562f5c03b0fc9bd42ec78beb2.gif I'd really have to use it to quieten him down. Need three coffees and ciggies to face that kind cheer in the mornings :evil:.

BumbleBabe    10
BumbleBabe
Crickey Riley, this postage rip-off discussion is getting pretty violent - guns, bombs, and could this be ToiToi [ATTACH=CONFIG]819[/ATTACH]?

MsPlod the ToiToi guy is far too cheerful for so early in the morning. If I had a [ATTACH=CONFIG]820[/ATTACH] I'd really have to use it to quieten him down. Need three coffees and ciggies to face that kind cheer in the mornings :evil:.

Totally agree with you :toung:

MsPlod    10
MsPlod
MsPlod the ToiToi guy is far too cheerful for so early in the morning. If I had a [ATTACH=CONFIG]820[/ATTACH] I'd really have to use it to quieten him down. Need three coffees and ciggies to face that kind cheer in the mornings :evil:.

What can I say? I'm a morning kinda gal... but the cigs and coffee DO help LOL!

mellowred    10
mellowred
Totally agree with you :toung:

But BumbleBabe ... when is your morning? You awake all darned hours of the day and night. Do you sleep? :surprised:

mellowred    10
mellowred
What can I say? I'm a morning kinda gal... but the cigs and coffee DO help LOL!

I'm also a morning person, but only because it's quiet and all are sleeping. The 1/2 braincell functions best under those conditions. Then to be confronted with this happy chap ... worse than when Hennie surprises me with a cup of coffee :smile: and a chat :disgusted: aarrrrgggghhhh at 5am

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest

Well the current postage system on BOB offeres RXX for the first item , RXX for additional items, where as It should read KG. The buyers only pay for 1KG if the thing is 5KG

lilythepink    10
lilythepink
Well the current postage system on BOB offeres RXX for the first item , RXX for additional items, where as It should read KG. The buyers only pay for 1KG if the thing is 5KG

I don't understand what you are saying, Roger! Sorry.

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest

Hey Lily . I mean I wish there was a system where you could put shipping chargers like the SAPO does it. Instead of example R 10.00 for the first item etc. they must rename ITEM to KG so we don't have to calculate it ourselfs and put the weight in:

Example the parcel is 3KG , then the formulae in the shipping coloumn should calculate the postage by 1KG and working out the amount for the additional KG. Get my drift, when inputing item , it should ask for weight of item then it calculates the rates automatically according to SAPO thus no high postage charges