Sign in to follow this  
MegaStore

Consider banning the Windows CE Netbooks

MegaStore

7" LCD WiFi UMPC Laptop Notebook Windows CE 2GB HD

I really do not want to step on the toes of anyone selling these, but I really believe that these should be considered to be banned. Most people buying these actually think that they buy a netbook with windows xp. Not everyone is clued up enough with computers to realise the severe limitations of this device.

What they in fact get is a pocket pc disguised as a netbook. I have actually looked at one of these and it can do nothing more than my old HP Ipaq pocket pc that is about 8 years old. Windows CE is made to be embedded in mobile electronic devices such as a GPS.

Look at this

Windows CE (also known officially as Windows Embedded Compact or Windows Embedded CE post version 6.0 [3][4], and sometimes abbreviated WinCE) is an operating system developed by Microsoft for minimalistic computers and embedded systems. Windows CE is a distinct operating system and kernel, rather than a trimmed-down version of desktop Windows.[5] It is not to be confused with Windows

XP Embedded which is NT-based.

The USB ports on the device is limited to basic input functions like a mouse and therefore no devices such as hard drives HSDPA dongles etc can be used with it.

Just look at this listing and then tell me that a grandmother buying a netbook for her granddaughter will know that this is a glorified pocket pc. Even the display pictures resembles XP and that could be very misleading to some.

Other Laptops & Notebooks - 7" LCD WiFi UMPC Laptop Notebook Windows CE 2GB HD for sale in Durban (ID:28473590)

We are all trying to make an honest buck here, but with this one I don't agree.

brands online

I agree to disagree with this one. The item does not contravene any of BOB's limitations to listing and the seller in the link provided does specify virtually everything they can about the item. While, I understand your point on a granny perhaps buying it for her granddaughter, it does remain the buyer's duty to know what they want. If BOB banned this item, I'm sure there are hundreds of items at least on BOB that could be construed as requiring similar action. Every laptop or product has limitations. These limitations are I believe adequately portrayed by the prodcut's specifications. I would rather advise the granny to get some advice. Besides, little old ladies don't part with their money easily, so I'm sure she would've anyway ( same applies to all potential buyers)...

SProducts

Apart from selling these also, I agree with Brands Online as the description almost includes everything. If a buyer doesnt understand then they mjust first ask or do some research.

I have had buyers asking questions about things like CD drive, internet, email, etc.

Nothing illegal and misleading here.

Sipho

Guest Guest
Apart from selling these also, I agree with Brands Online as the description almost includes everything. If a buyer doesnt understand then they mjust first ask or do some research.

I have had buyers asking questions about things like CD drive, internet, email, etc.

Nothing illegal and misleading here.

Sipho

I agree with Sipho and Brands on this one as well. As long as the sellers don't mislead the potential buyers it is up to the buyers to ask before jumping in and buying. That goes for everything on eCommerce I think... Just my 10cent's worth.:bigsmile:

MsPlod
Just my 10cent's worth.:bigsmile:

Inflation hits us all ...

Guest Guest
Inflation hits us all ...

LoL :cheesy: