Sign in to follow this  
geldenhuys1

Very high Postage

anerstemens

what courier do you use Libertas?

brands online
what courier do you use Libertas?

echo... Welcome to the forum, what courier do you use Libertas?

eZethu Coins

So here's another one - SAPO has fixed rates for insurance on their parcels - ordinary parcels insured attract a 2% for instance. If a seller charges a percentage higher than that, e.g. 5%, is that a blatant case of making money from postage/insurance?

2008 Birthday R5 - BRAND NEW UNCIRCULATED MANDELA COIN!!!! not a scratch!!! for sale in Durban (ID:29053474)

Does this carry the blessings of BoB? Admin/Anyone?

Vegar

In reading through these posts I see two business approaches: A. Client friendly: Reasonable postage. B. Greedy: overcharging on postage.

But could you please help me understand how much I must add for shipping on this item: Ornaments - ** Read B4 Bidding ** Boxer Figurine / Cropped for sale in United States (ID:29025440)

"I am confused - how do I calculate your shipping costs without a degree in maths? Add 3.9% for EFT + 4.75% insurance + $16,75 + 5% handling fee. I can't bid if I don't know the shipping costs - hate nasty surprises! "

No answer to my question, I would think the seller might have a hard time figuring this one out!

admin
So here's another one - SAPO has fixed rates for insurance on their parcels - ordinary parcels insured attract a 2% for instance. If a seller charges a percentage higher than that, e.g. 5%, is that a blatant case of making money from postage/insurance?

2008 Birthday R5 - BRAND NEW UNCIRCULATED MANDELA COIN!!!! not a scratch!!! for sale in Durban (ID:29053474)

Does this carry the blessings of BoB? Admin/Anyone?

Hi Renaldo,

The seller has been "requested" to adjust his insurance to 2%.

Thank you.

TheJeweller
OK so it would be difficult to regulate, however BoB COULD do something like the following:

Make all sellers detail exactly how they estimate their shipping costs using a spreadsheet such as this (example only)

..................................... SAPO base fee under 1kg...... per kg over 1kg......Protective material...... Wrapping fee..... Wrapping (box &/or paper)..... Delivery to SAPO branch

.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... (travel cost)...........

Normal

Normal +tracking #

Registered

Counter to counter

Priority

Courier (etc. etc) .

That would provide at least some understanding of why shipping fees are more expensive for some traders and less so for others?

Bravo, very good idea. If BOB don't have to make new template for this.

And again, seller should be obligated to to disclose shipping cost on each

item, so buyer can see before biding on it.

I paid ones a lot but then I stop buying from that seller.

And I spend a lot.

Who is the looser?

Vegar

How do you calculate TRAVEL costs to the PO if you are sending more than one item? and I assume it would be different if you are delivering you packages in a tazz or spruced up Jaguar?? And the distance - do you charge per km??

I absolutely don't profit on my shipping. I manage to include insurance in a fixed shipping cost and I take all the packages with me when I anyway go shopping. I live 18km away from the post office.

I find that R27 for an econoparcel and R38 for an ordinary parcel up to 1 kg covers it.

I scour places for good boxes and recycle packaging material. I use new bubble wrap which I buy in large bulk - very cheap!! And I wrap in nice new brown paper from a large roll - cheap!!

I think the problem is that people try to sell too cheap and then make it up in the shipping - not justified!

alloway65

From my past experience on BoB I have found the more expensive the shipping the more basic the "packing"!:sad:

MsPlod
How do you calculate TRAVEL costs to the PO if you are sending more than one item? and I assume it would be different if you are delivering you packages in a tazz or spruced up Jaguar?? And the distance - do you charge per km??

I absolutely don't profit on my shipping. I manage to include insurance in a fixed shipping cost and I take all the packages with me when I anyway go shopping. I live 18km away from the post office.

I find that R27 for an econoparcel and R38 for an ordinary parcel up to 1 kg covers it.

I scour places for good boxes and recycle packaging material. I use new bubble wrap which I buy in large bulk - very cheap!! And I wrap in nice new brown paper from a large roll - cheap!!

I think the problem is that people try to sell too cheap and then make it up in the shipping - not justified!

Precisely Vegar. My comments and suggestions are TOTALLY not directed at sellers such as yourself who charge entirely reasonable and fair shipping rates but rather at those traders who utterly "ruk the gat" out of the whole shipping issue. Yes, of course - I would not dream of supporting such sellers, however many buyers do get caught for a sucker - and of course BoB loses out on success fees.

DharmaDesigns

Lol!

And I just noticed the R235.90 for normal mail..... gold-plated envelopes and stamps perhaps? :biggrin:

MsPlod
I assume the seller is a lawyer and charges per hour for completing the SAPO forms :amuse:

A lawyer or a consultant LOL!! http://forum.bidorbuy.co.za/community-chat-forum/185-jokes-post-your-jokes-here.html#post92209

If you take a look at the Q&A for the item though - you'll see that s/he is trying to cover the shipping costs to get the item into the country. Have asked them a question about it too and directed them to this thread (as well as recommending that they check out the dropshipping and shipping issues on the forum).

PS: I'm a consultant LOL!!

Edited by MsPlod
added the postscript - just in case anyone thinks I am hammering consultants LOL!!

aderf

I am one of those sellers who prefer to sell most, if not all of my items on the R1 crazy auction (not the Wednesday or Friday crazy auctions). In most cases my shipping charges barely cover the post office charges, let alone boxes (which I pay for to ensure I get a good supply), bubble wrap, etc. The only thing I get for free - although I have to travel to collect it - is newspapers! I also double box my items as I sell mostly porcelain, which adds to my packaging costs. If I sell an item for R1 and my listed shipping charges are R30, and if it costs me R40 to post that parcel, that just my loss! At the end of the day I get the positive ratings and the unexpected "surprise" if a R15 article sells for R300! But I will not increase postage rates to make up for those R1 sales, and the items I sell for R1 are packed as carefully as the R300 item. And I still make a lot of money! Merry Christmas to all.

Vegar

Right on!

In April the post office will increase their postage by 10% or more - last year the increase was 9.5%.

We should have a special rate - would it not be possible for BoB to negotiate with SAPO or POSTNET a special rate for "Frequent costumers" of Bidorbuy?

Hmmm I like that!

Guest Guest

In most cases my shipping charges barely cover the post office charges, let alone boxes (which I pay for to ensure I get a good supply), bubble wrap, etc. The only thing I get for free - although I have to travel to collect it - is newspapers! I also double box my items as I sell mostly porcelain, which adds to my packaging costs. If I sell an item for R1 and my listed shipping charges are R30, and if it costs me R40 to post that parcel, that just my loss! At the end of the day I get the positive ratings and the unexpected "surprise" if a R15 article sells for R300! But I will not increase postage rates to make up for those R1 sales, and the items I sell for R1 are packed as carefully as the R300 item. And I still make a lot of money! Merry Christmas to all.

Hi! Welcome! You are indeed another very special person on BOB! Honest & caring seller!

See what the people say about Aderf -only a very short extract!:

100% positive ratings to: Aderf:

Thank you so much - I received my parcel - wrapped with such care - i love my items!!

BRILLIANT SELLER.. FIRST CLASS PACKAGING... NO COMPLAINTS!! A++++++++

Thank you Yvonne for your prompt sending of the parcel. Thank you for sending me the money that I overpaid.

Received my cute lamp very safely packed. Thanks a lot! Great seller!

Excellent Seller, very quick and efficient, highly recommended, thank you so much for your careful and thorough packaging.

Thank you Yvonne - my package was beautifully wrapped & all arrived safe & sound. Was a pleasure dealing with you!

What a wonderful experience to deal with this seller. You're a STAR... Keep SHINING!!!

Exceptional packaging -great seller

Excellent Seller A+++, very well packaged items - thank you!

Product as good as promised. the first time ever i saw what packing is all about. out of this world !

Edited by Edmund1000

geldenhuys1
Hi! Welcome! You are indeed another very special person on BOB! Honest & caring seller!

See what the people say about Aderf -only a very short extract!:

Great stuff Aderf, thank you for your effort. A+++++:amuse: