Sign in to follow this  
geldenhuys1

Very high Postage

geldenhuys1

Looking at the weekend deals I notice some very high postage. For example a small item, smaller then a matchbox, shipping R50? WOW that's daylight robbery for this item: Memory Card Readers - Dual MicroSD TF to MS Pro Duo adapter for sale in Durban (ID:28330149) and there are more of these.

I think BOB must do something about this, regulate shipping charges. I also sell and also need to pack my stuff before posting them, but you do not have to make your earning on shipping charges. You can send the item a both for no more than R19 at the post office.

Thanks to all the sellers out there with good shipping charges.:blink1:

Edited by geldenhuys1

bbman

I agree. I think they pocket most of the shipping charge to earn that little bit extra on each item.

All postage charges are up on the post office website. so dont be fooled.

for International sellers the high rates are understandable.

BumbleBabe

We only charge R22 for econo and R30 for regular post, but we dont have to travel very far, and can post any time. I do agree the Magicbox take it a bit far. Some sellers have to travel far and safely package an item. Adding another item should be negotiable, not over charged like this item above. Some sellers state up to 1kg and up to 2kg with prices, that is the fairest way to do it. We use an ordinary kitchen scale, not very accurate but enough to get an idea.

Where theres a will there is a way, some sellers are just to lazy to help out a buyer.

babyface2

hi geldenhuys1, you think R50.00 is a lot, there is some sellers check friday and wednesday auction that charges R69.00 and R99.00 for ery small parcels:disgusted: you report but alas these sellers just carry on doing it.i also do try and make the postage as fair as possible. it is not always possible to get the correct postage especially when you combine parcels, but i either gie the buyer credit if i overcharged and so far all my buyers has been excellent in paying in if there is extra needed for postage.

kinleroux

Econo parcel is R18.90 I pay on average R4.00 - R5.00 for a padded envelope. Then I still have to bubble wrap, and use packing tape to tape the bubble wrap. I then have to drive to the post office that cost on fuel.

I worked out that total shipping cost is more in the region of R25.00 - R29.00 depending on the padded envelope size and so on. If you charge anything less it will come from your product profit.

In the end of the day - no buyer is forced to buy from a seller who's shipping rate is to high. Those sellers with the high shipping costs sell their products for R1.00 because no one will pay more. What they do not seem to realise is that they can make more profit by lowering their shipping on the long run as buyers tend to come back to sellers they feel happy with. I sort of like those high prices as it gives me an edge on my competition :-)

A buyer is not stupid (most of the time)- they will total the product cost and shipping and then decide if the price is fair for them.

I agree with BOB on not regulating this - it will become a nightmare to manage.

It can be a good sales strategy to cover some of the shipping and only charge R19.00 - R22.00 as you might sell more. My experience though is that I do not loose sales by charging R29.00 postage, I did have my postage at R22.00 for some time.

So yes, R50.00 is to much and R23.00 is to low.

eZethu Coins

Funny thing is that there are some unwritten guidelines for this. Various factors make up the cost for shipping (postage & packaging) - don't think there is an argument about this. So go and have a look at what the average charge is from most sellers. Most sellers do not try to make a profit from postage, but realize that they have to cover their costs (this is a business venture after all - big or small).

My calculations taking everything into account came up with the following:

R30 for ordinary parcel up to 1kg

2% for insurance - that is what the PO charge

R65 for Speed Services pre-paid bag shipping (currently up to 1.5kg) including cover up to R1500.

I believe that anything around that mark is fair, but remember that some sellers will have different rates depending on time, travel, etc.

The best is still to check shipping costs before bidding - I know - I sometimes miss that.

Rather than have a BoB controlled system for this, I would like BoB to force all sellers to disclose shipping charges on all auctions or at least give an indication of how shipping costs will be calculated in cases where combining, etc. is allowed.

alloway65

The best is still to check shipping costs before bidding - I know - I sometimes miss that.

If I think shipping charges are too high I don't bid unless a real bargain is on offer and if shipping is not stated and I am interested in the item I ask! Some sellers now state one high shipping tariff and one can wrongly assume the high cost is for Speed Services...alas no....only for normal mail!

eZethu Coins
If I think shipping charges are too high I don't bid unless a real bargain is on offer and if shipping is not stated and I am interested in the item I ask! Some sellers now state one high shipping tariff and one can wrongly assume the high cost is for Speed Services...alas no....only for normal mail!

A rare case of making money from postage maybe? :bigsmile:

lilythepink

R30 for ordinary parcel up to 1kg

2% for insurance - that is what the PO charge

R65 for Speed Services pre-paid bag shipping (currently up to 1.5kg) including cover up to R1500.

I believe that anything around that mark is fair, but remember that some sellers will have different rates depending on time, travel, etc."

Rather than have a BoB controlled system for this, I would like BoB to force all sellers to disclose shipping charges on all auctions or at least give an indication of how shipping costs will be calculated in cases where combining, etc. is allowed.

I totally agree with you! These are reasonable, fair prices for postage/shipping! I have an as yet unfulfilled desire to see BoB clamp down more on those who charge ridiculous postage but, alas, it doesn't seem to happen very often that they do.

MsPlod

Just a suggestion...

OK so it would be difficult to regulate, however BoB COULD do something like the following:

Make all sellers detail exactly how they estimate their shipping costs using a spreadsheet such as this (example only)

..................................... SAPO base fee under 1kg...... per kg over 1kg......Protective material...... Wrapping fee..... Wrapping (box &/or paper)..... Delivery to SAPO branch

.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... (travel cost)...........

Normal

Normal +tracking #

Registered

Counter to counter

Priority

Courier (etc. etc) .

That would provide at least some understanding of why shipping fees are more expensive for some traders and less so for others?

Edited by MsPlod
formatting whoopsy!

lilythepink
OK so it would be difficult to regulate, however BoB COULD do something like the following:

Make all sellers detail exactly how they estimate their shipping costs using a spreadsheet such as this (example only)

..................................... SAPO base fee under 1kg...... per kg over 1kg......Protective material...... Wrapping fee..... Wrapping (box &/or paper)..... Delivery to SAPO branch

.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... (travel cost)...........

Normal

Normal +tracking #

Registered

Counter to counter

Priority

Courier (etc. etc) .

That would provide at least some understanding of why shipping fees are more expensive for some traders and less so for others?

I guess some people pay more for some items than others and, ultimately, the question will always be - how long is a piece of string?? :unsure::unsure:

BumbleBabe

Way hide your shipping charges. If I see an item I like, but I have to ask for shipping I just close it. Copy any item and all your details on how your posting works is there so there should be no reason not to have it out in the open. I would suggest that bob make all the sellers state clearly what these costs are, be it on the system or in your listing. No need for bob to monitor more BS, we will report :biggrin: :rolleyes:

moppies

I do understand the whole issue of postage but need to agree that some postage fees is outrageous.

I charge R40.00 for the first item and thereafter R7.50 per item. The reason being is that I basically sell jewelry - some of them heavy in weight. In the past I have lost many pieces due to the way the post office handle parcels. I use a bubble envelope, tissue paper, and a plastic container per item in order to get the item with the client in one piece. I have tried gift boxes (carton) but still the jewelry got damaged. All this is mentioned in my listing.

Point that I want to make - do not bid if you are not satisfied with the postage!

brands online

This whole debate around postage goes on and on on. Some of the arguments while compelling reading are plain ludicrous. If a seller states their shipping charges upfront, that should be that. I do agree that hiding behind the 'ask seller a question about shipping is nonsense', but if a seller chooses to charge R500 even for local shipping of a small item, that should be entirely their concern. Here's why...

If anyone phones a courier company and requests a quote, they accept it based on what they feel is fair. If it's too high, they don't use that service.

What's different here? It is of no concern to the buyer what seller's costs are. Postages and related charges appears on the expenses side of the income statement. So it comes from the

'gross profit' of sellers. And while it would be unetchical to make a profit on postage, there's absoulutely nothing wrong with making a profit on packaging, labour etc. This is business. If buyers don't like your charges, don't bid or don't buy. There are thousands of sellers on BOB so there's no duress placed on you to purchase from a specific seller.

These ideas about spreadsheeting your shipping charges etc., with all due respect make no sense whatsoever. Then you might as well include a column for the cost of the item.

The bid/buy is also a legal contract. That having been said, there can be no recourse for buyers who don't read the terms of the contract, finish and klaar. It's pointless running around over something in black and white persay.

Our charges may be seen as too high perhaps. But we literally have thouands of buyers, many of them return customers all the time, who still choose to purhase

from us because they know, they price thay pay is the price they see, not a cent more and they receive the service paid for as well. We also state on every listing:

"These are our shipping charges, If you don't like, please do not bid", what could be more clearer?

If an item is won for R1-00 and you have to pay R40-00 shipping, you knew that when bidding. What do you expect the seller to do?Send it for R2 so you get a bargain? That's rubbish. Shipping charges are not related to winning bids.

You see, you like, you bid, you pay... Don't be a cheapskate afterward...

Edited by brands online

BumbleBabe

Well done and well said, thanks Brands online :cool:

brands online
Well done and well said, thanks Brands online :cool:

Thank you, I just find it's less a case of high postages and mor a case of "Ek will alles so naby as "verniet" kry "...:twisted:

geldenhuys1
Thank you, I just find it's less a case of high postages and mor a case of "Ek will alles so naby as "verniet" kry "...:twisted:

I do NOT want anything for free "brands online" , I will pay any reasonable postage. Look at this one again, R75 postage for a screen protector!! Covers & Pouches - iPhone 4G LED Screen Protector X3 for sale in Cape Town (ID:28748287) Surely u do not think this is reasonable postage "brands online"

BOB Buyers are not cheap, we pay good prices for items and just want some fare postage. I sell also, and do not ask a arm and a leg for postage!!!

Edited by geldenhuys1

brands online
I do NOT want anything for free "brands online" , I will pay any reasonable postage. Look at this one again, R75 postage for a screen protector!! Covers & Pouches - iPhone 4G LED Screen Protector X3 for sale in Cape Town (ID:28748287) Surely u do not think this is reasonable posage "brands online"

BOB Buyers are not cheap, we pay good prices for items and just want some fare postage. I sell also, and do not ask a arm and a leg for postage!!!

Hi geldenhuys, if you don't like it, don't buy it. Obviously your argument centers around the fact that you can get it cheaper elsewhere. The logical thing then is to buy it elsewhere or from another seller. That's all...

The reference was made to the multitudes of buyers we deal with every single day who buy 10 items at R1-00 each and say throw it in a box for R30, not you directly :smile:

eZethu Coins

I especially liked the repose in the Q & A section :-)

BumbleBabe

Yeah and now he tells CW it is courier. Copy and past ........... lazy

Why be so unfriendly?

BumbleBee

OK, its official, this seller cannot answer a question. If he doesn't want the sale then fine by me, I am certainly not going to pay R150 to have a cd sent to me.

BumbleBabe
OK, its official, this seller cannot answer a question. If he doesn't want the sale then fine by me, I am certainly not going to pay R150 to have a cd sent to me.

Dude how rude! This seller dont want to sell, I will find it on e-bay!

Libertas Computers

So I've been scanning the forums the last hour or so, trying to find a place to put my first post.. Then I came upon this. It is actually quite hilarious! I remember that I once received a parcel when bidding for which I paid R90 for shipping (economy) and when I got the parcel it was clearly marked by SAPO as R7-something.

I think some sellers are just lazy and copy and paste a generally worked out cost for most items they sell and the small parcel will go for the same rate. This was SAPO though, I ship bigger items and I can tell you that I stay as far away from SAPO as possible. I just don't want to be caught up in situations where they lose a parcel etc. Also they have quite a rough handling of parcels.

My courier service I use charges me R60 to all main centers and R95 to regional. These are for a max of 5 Kg's air fright, usually overnight before 18:00 otherwise next morning before 10:00.

In my opinion it's a far better choice to go a courier service if you regularly ship big items. Unfortunately I do suppose we are still stuck with our SAPO / Speed Services friends for our normal parcels, though I have seen a bit of an improvement along the lines...

Anyway, that's all for now. Looking forward to selling my products here. Will see if I can get things up and running in a week or two's time..

BumbleBabe

WoW those are good prices :awesome:

Welcome to the forum and BOB. good luck with your sales and have fun. :biggrin: