Sign in to follow this  
Miss Jewels

Lab Diamonds

Miss Jewels    10
Miss Jewels

I've been doing extensive research regarding lab diamonds, moissanites, and cubic zirconia. This purely based on the amount of sellers advertising lab diamonds in gold and silver plated jewelry. According to research, it's a fact that authentic diamonds and lab diamonds have almost the same value, lab diamonds having enhanced clarity and colour. Flaws are also filled to make them more pure. But they are still diamonds. They are also only set in pure white gold, platinum and yellow gold. Moissanites can also be tested on a standard diamond tester, like authentic and lab diamonds, as they have the same composition. Cubic Zirconia and simulated diamonds are one and the same thing. They are man made, The one being a slight better quality than the other. CZ's are more often used in the cheaper range of costume jewelery, lab diamonds also in costume jewelery and sterling silver. As pure gold and platinum are very expensive materials, authentic stones are preferred. In cases where very high quality simulated diamonds are used, like the new Russian Simulants, gold and silver settings can be used. These new simulants are scratch-proof and can even cut glass, have the same cut and clarity as authentic diamonds, can now be set in solid gold or sterling silver. If there are any gemmologists on the site, please assist with this topic as there are many misleading ads as to stones being advertised as lab diamonds when in fact they're cz's. Maybe you'll have a tip or two for the other Bobbers?

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

I have a particularly favourite ring which has a lovely CZ in it and, because the ring itself was tarnishing (after 4 years regular wear), I took it to a jeweller to have the CZ reset in 9 carat gold. Cost me literally nothing to have it done as I had plenty of 9 carat gold for them to use and the jeweller was absolutely amazed at the quality of the CZ and had to test it a couple of times and only when it showed no carbon rating could he confirm it was a CZ. Needless to say, I now have a 9 carat CZ ring which is wonderful!

kyle2    10
kyle2

The funny thing about these new simulants is that they have made the lesser classed diamonds more valuable. Diamonds usually have a tiny flaw or inclusion which determines its grade. Thus the higher the grade they fewer flaws etc. the more valuable. The New simulants are flawless and virtually impossible to spot as simulants unless you know what to look for and I have heard of diamond testers testing the simulants as real.

Now because certain grades have these flaws etc. they are easier to spot as genuine diamonds and people are happier to trade with them. I prefer gems with some sort of inclusion or flaw, this proves it being a natural stone, there are so many Rubies, Saphires and the like out there which have a dubious heritage.:sneaky:

Miss Jewels    10
Miss Jewels

Hi Lily. I've also got a 9ct gold ring with a gorgeous cz in it and always get compliments when I wear the ring. I think that this was just a very better quality that the older version of cz's as they discoloured over a period of time. Technology has improved so that the newer cz's do not discolour and thus the life-span has increased. Why spend thousands to impress someone else? A sparkling cz is just as gorgeous as the "real thing". And there is excellent costume jewelry available, so why spend more than necessary.

Lukeness    10
Lukeness

Very few of the so-called 'lab created' diamonds are anything but CZs and are therefore being sold with completely misleading descriptions. Large size lab created diamonds are still very rare and expensive, especially with good colours.

CZ and Moissanite are both simulants, as are many others, including glass. Moissanite, however, will test as a diamond on a standard diamond tester as it has similar thermal conductivity properties to diamond. Chemically CZ and Moissanite are completely different to diamonds and have completely different chemical compositions to lab or natural diamonds (pure carbon).

People are often told that they are so good they can "even cut glass". This statement has little bearing on reality since in actual fact, glass (and anything as hard, or harder) can cut glass too.

Miss Jewels    10
Miss Jewels

Hi Lukeness. Thank you so much for your valued feedback. This is the type of professionals we need on the forum more often. Now just to get the buyers to read this before they purchase a lab created diamond valued at R30000+ (according to the seller, of course)

Lukeness    10
Lukeness

Most lab diamonds available are at least slightly yellowish. Recently the GIA examined a CVD (chemical vapour desposition) lab created diamond that was of a high (G) colour grading and over a carat. https://app.e2ma.net/app/view:CampaignPublic/id:1401417.6748130297/rid:de312d3b80688a5f860bd20eeb5ee1da#one-carat-CVD

As the article explains, this is the first one known (when made using this procedure) over a carat in size. Buyers should not be fooled into believing that just because it is man-made it is common or cheap.