Sign in to follow this  
pablojani

car music

pablojani

My car is a 1997 model and when I bought it new it came with a radio/cassette player. I was a bit peeved because CDs were already available and I wanted a CD player but it was a pushy motor car salesman who said I had to have the cassette player. The cassette player doesn't work any more and I never play the radio. Nearly all my music is in MP3 format on flash discs. What would I have to buy without spending a fortune which will have a USB port that I can just plug my flash disc in and the sound will come out the speakers? Can someone advise me please?

brands online

Hi Pablo, You have 2 options... A car mp3 player with usb input (they're relatively cheap these days) or a mp3 modulator with usb input (the cheaper option)> The modulator plugs into your cigarette lighter and will transmit the sound through your current radio and you can just set the station on your radio to the frequency they provide. All these are available on the BOB site!

Hope that helps!

pablojani

car music

Thanks for your response. I like the sound of the modulator that simply plugs into the car lighter.

If I was to go for the MP3 player with USB port would I have to have it installed. (I am a little old lady.)

brands online

Only a pleasure. I've just searched mp3 modulator on the site and there are literally hundreds for sale/auction. Good luck!!!

BumbleBee

MP3 modulators are fiddly little things that are quite prone to interference, I haven't come across one that works properly. Once you have tried an MP3 modulator and thrown it out of the window in frustration at an unsuspecting pedestrian you should firstly apologise to the aforementioned pedestrian and then find a good head unit and have it professionally installed, stick with the well known brands like Sony, Kenwood and my personal favorite JVC.

Mad about Jack

Look for a Starsound Digital Multimedia Player, this is a superb replacement. It has an auxiliary plug, SD card and memory stick (USB) capabilities and is much better then these modulators as BumbleBee has stated. Priced at R650 including fitment with a remote in Gauteng, not sure though how much in KZN though.

pablojani

Thanks for all the advice. I bought an MP3 modulator for R60 and it works like a charm. No problems ... yet. I am really chuffed with it. I wish I had known about it long ago. Now I must just fill up some more flash discs with MP3 music. I have a nice programme called "Jodix free WMA to MP3 converter" that I use to convert all my CDs to MP3 format. Highly recommended.

lilythepink
(I am a little old lady.)

Welcome to the Seniors' Club, pablojani! :laugh:

pablojani
Welcome to the Seniors' Club, pablojani! :laugh:

Thank, dear. My kefir (yoghurt plant) keeps me frisky. LOL Hope yours is still doing well.

brands online
Thanks for all the advice. I bought an MP3 modulator for R60 and it works like a charm. No problems ... yet. I am really chuffed with it. I wish I had known about it long ago. Now I must just fill up some more flash discs with MP3 music. I have a nice programme called "Jodix free WMA to MP3 converter" that I use to convert all my CDs to MP3 format. Highly recommended.

That is the cheaper option. I use one too, my in-dash doesn't support USB. Glad it worked out for you!:smile: