Sign in to follow this  
Pierre_Henri

Metal Detecting for Treasure Coins in England ....

lilythepink

Well it seems like we could start a "metal detectors group"! I don't want to pay an arm and a leg for a detector but I need something that will allow me to have "fun". I went through all of the ones listed on BoB yesterday and saw that the cheapie models are handheld and, at my age, I don't fancy crawling around on my hands and knees on the beach - I think I'd be locked up! But I am still hoping to find something at a reasonable price ... :smile:

wayjen

sending you a pm ma'am.

wayjen

i wanted Pierre to start a thread or help out on my thread on another forum cause people are interested in this topic and it's a great way to socialize and meet new people.

wayjen

I just googled my metal detector and was shocked at the price of it, I never realized how expensive it was.

lilythepink

I am now emerald green with envy, Wayne!

wayjen

if enough guys in Cape Town that i speak to about "treasure Hunting" can get some detectors then we want to organise a get together or something. maybe people in other areas around the country can start their own groups.

wayjen

the overseas forums and websites have my mouth watering to get out again with my metal detector.

lilythepink
if enough guys in Cape Town that i speak to about "treasure Hunting" can get some detectors then we want to organise a get together or something. maybe people in other areas around the country can start their own groups.

Only for this would I wish to live in Cape Town again. Our little city is far too small to even think of such a group. Perhaps The Beak can visit the Cape Town group once in a while? :unsure:

wayjen

why not it would be fun.

lilythepink

And I must not forget, Wayne, that YOU are a Master when it comes to fun!

wayjen

ha ha ha you must be joking, i am a loner.

MsPlod

Shew Wayne! Maybe you must bring your metal detector next time we do a powerfully balanced wheelbarrow and trolley run and we can go and do some metal-detecting around the Zimbabwe ruins - must be a whole lot of gold up that way too!

wayjen

i'm on my way.

lilythepink
i'm on my way.

Hey, MsPlod and Wayne - when are we leaving?

wayjen

ALL ABOARD!!

This type of hobby will make you new friends and take you places. The amount of history you find is amazing. I have spoken to guys from America, England, Russia,Netherlands I think Germany too it is amazing.

lilythepink
ALL ABOARD!!

All aboard the police van, you mean?? :unsure:

xsiandreas

Would love to do some treasure hunting! Just read about the guy in scotland finding gold...what a lucky guy. Wanted to buy a metal detector many years ago, but never got around to it. As far as I know there are many different types and makes. Can anyone recommend some good ones? Also is anyone hunting in PE??

wayjen

Pierre Henri should be able to help you with that information.

Guest Guest

Research

Through my research I know of a couple of great spots that capable treasure hunters would drool over.

PS planning to come back to RSA in late September next year.

Kind regards

Scott Balson

wayjen

even without finding stuff that glitters you actually dig up parts of history of the world. One guy dug up a arrow head from about 6000BC and has it mounted in a frame with a certificate of authenticity now that is impressive.

Guest Guest

Artifacts

Exactly African and other artifacts are highly sought after...

have a look at the prices some of these gems raised: Sotheby's - Explore Auctions - Auction Results - Antiquities (believe me more modern 1800s southern African artifacts often raise even higher prices).

I have a large collection of artifacts including five authentic witchdoctor death masks (acquired in the 1940s by my father - a white hunter in East Africa); an ancestral pipe (made from human bone) - West Africa; powder horns from the US civil war to Boer war.. etc; fertility symbols (carved wooden pieces); stone age stones from East Africa and a wide range of other stuff in my museum. All these items are unique, highly collectable, have a fascinating history and, to me, are as valuable as the "99 Pond". I have never seen one of these death masks offered for sale on the net. My father acquired them while hunting - he came across a witchdoctor and exchanged a carton of cigarettes for these pieces. More here: African Death Masks

PS my powder horn collection was inspired by Adam Kok IIs powder horn (ex Atherstone - who discovered South Africa's first diamond).. pics at: Historic Griqua Buffalo Horn Powder Flask and others

Much of this stuff (metal) still lies under the ground - you just need to know where to look.

As a result of my research the Kokstad Museum have been revisiting the original Mount Currie (Kokstad) site first occupied by the Griqua in the 1860s... look at how revealing the Google Earth pictures are.. still there if you know where to look:

Google Earth again reveals hidden treasures

Kind regards

Scott Balson

Edited by ndoa18

wayjen

very nice Scott and thanks I will look through the links in a moment. Whilst looking at the items being dug up around the world I wondered what we would find from South Africas past.

Taking about Hunters I recently sold the book "Hunter" which was signed to my Grandfather in 1946 if I am not mistaken.

wayjen

WOW!!! now look at those items, that is some serious business going on there.

Google Earth comes in handy too I see.

Edited by wayjen