Sign in to follow this  
Pierre_Henri

Metal Detecting for Treasure Coins in England ....

Pierre_Henri    14
Pierre_Henri

I have just returned from a Metal Detecting trip to Norfolk in England with a group of American treasure hunters. We detected for 7-days on old Roman, Saxon, Viking and Medieval sites.

Cuan has granted me permission to post a link to an article (with lots of pictures) that I wrote for the International Metal Detecting Group.

Here is a link for those that are interested in the history beneath your feet!

International Metal Detecting Group : Metal Detecting Trip to England with Lots of Pictures ...

Regards

Pierre

anerstemens    10
anerstemens

great I found that interesting do you sell the items then to cover the trip or do you only do it for hobby I see you said you donated most of it I was just wondering. Kind regards

booksallsizes    10
booksallsizes

Thank you for posting that! Wonderful stuff - I'm amazed at what you guys found (especially the fibula) - makes me want to go on a treasure hunt.

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest

Hi Pierre

The "big one" is always just one scan away... such an addictive hobby!

Congrats!

Scott Balson

wayjen    10
wayjen

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now that is the kind of thing i would love to do. i always wanted to hit the beach and find stuff dropped by visitors to the beach.

Many years ago my brother bought me a metal detector but not a fancy thing just one that works with batteries and is a Chinese plastic one but it does work perfectly and makes a noise until you go over something metal. I used it once at our local beach but only found bottle caps and now it has been standing for a few years now, maybe i need to take it out of the mothballs.

Thanks Pierre for the history lesson i hope you will post more stories like that again.

Pierre_Henri    14
Pierre_Henri

Well, if its GOLD you are after ...

These two friends of mine are both Bid-or-Buyers, but I will not disclose their names.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e71/Pierrex/det1-1.jpg

They have just returned from a metal detecting trip to Bali, Phuket and Singapore.

The gold they found on the beaches in 7 days was more than enough to pay for their airfare.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e71/Pierrex/det3-1.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e71/Pierrex/det2-1.jpg

Above gold items are all either 18ct or 22 ct...

Detecting beaches for gold is nice but I prefer the ancient stuff...

Regards

Pierre

wayjen    10
wayjen

no man that is worse then posting a picture of a hamburger in front of me. it must be a rush to see or hear that metal detector going off and you don't know what you are going to find.

unicoin    10
unicoin

Metall detecting of coins

Hi All,

I also had to have a metal detector for rare coins and other valuables. Bought a Garrett Metal Detector ACE 250 for about R3600-00 and worked with it for about an hour. After only cooldrink can openers etc. I realise that it is not so easy to use this thing and I lost interest. Now I am thinking of selling it again. What a waist of money if you are not into the real thing like Pierre Henry.

Regards

Andrea

MsPlod    10
MsPlod
I also had to have a metal detector for rare coins and other valuables. Bought a Garrett Metal Detector ACE 250 for about R3600-00 and worked with it for about an hour. After only cooldrink can openers etc. I realise that it is not so easy to use this thing and I lost interest.

You could always go into the metals recycling business... :razz:

But seriously - have you looked carefully at the settings and the specs/instructions? As far as I know there are a number of ways to set or fine tune the sensitivity so that you are picking up gold/silver, etc. and losing (or not picking up) the more common metals. :idea:Also, use it in areas where you might find something of interest - around old farm houses for example, or get yourself acquainted with where some of the boer war camps or battle-grounds were and go there.

A waste of money indeed if you go to a beach and expect immediately to get rich... :hm:

Pierre_Henri    14
Pierre_Henri

Well, its all about getting Lucky ...

Hi All,

I also had to have a metal detector for rare coins and other valuables. Bought a Garrett Metal Detector ACE 250 for about R3600-00 and worked with it for about an hour. After only cooldrink can openers etc. I realise that it is not so easy to use this thing and I lost interest. Now I am thinking of selling it again. What a waist of money if you are not into the real thing like Pierre Henry.

Regards

Andrea

Many years ago, after Gary Player putted a long shot, some spectator in the crowd shouted “LUCKY SHOT GARY!!”

Gary replied “Well, the more I practice, the luckier I get ...”

It’s the same with metal detecting – the more you practice, the better (lucky) you get.

My first machine was also a Garrett Treasure Ace, and after a few months of finding bottle tops and pull tabs on the beaches I lost interest.

But then a year or two later I read an article on Metal Detecting in an UK Magazine that got me pumped up all over again and I bought a more professional machine – THEN things got serious – I found 25 000 coins in the following few years before I stopped counting (that was quite a few years back)

I started a Metal Detecting / Treasure Hunting newsletter/ magazine in SA and really got the whole hobby going – I did a SCUBA training course and also dived for shipwreck treasure – then detected Boer War sites, then went internationally – Brazil, Czech Republic, Mauritius, England etc. All over the world.

People that read our Bid-or-Buy Coin forum, in my mind, are all the same – they love history and especially artefacts that kind of tell you the footsteps of our forefathers (and the wonderful things that they unfortunately lost).

That is where the metal detectorists steps in and search for the wonderful history hidden beneath your feet...

For me, it’s just the best of hobbies

Thank you for all the kind replies

Pierre

Little Miss Muffet    20
Little Miss Muffet

Was this field specially cleared for you to use your metal detector or can you you go to any field? I guess not.

I would love to be able to do this.

Do you have to go with a controlled group or howw does it work?

It is amazing what some people have found in the U.K.

A friend of my son told me he was mountain climbing one day when he picked up a gold Kruger coin.

I never asked him where the mountain is located or the date of the coin but the "Kruger millions" did come to mind.

wayjen    10
wayjen

this thread has certainly got me thinking of taking my chinese metal detector for a walk on the beach again.

wayjen    10
wayjen

just came back from a short walk on the beach with my metal detector and only got some metal "stuff" but non the less the bug has bitten once again.

Pierre_Henri    14
Pierre_Henri

Coin Weights

I was lying in bed the other night and thought about the Charles I coin weight that I have found on our recent metal detecting trip to England. Here is a picture of it again...

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e71/Pierrex/zzz4.jpg

I have wrongly described it as “...a coin weight of Charles II (1660 – 1685) with “XX” on the reverse. It was thus used in those days to weigh a 2-shilling (or 20 pence?) coin to check that it was not a fake...”

After doing a little bit of research, I found out that it was actually a coin weight for a gold Unite (20 shillings) and NOT 20 Pence. Also for Charles I (1625-1649) and NOT Charles II (1660-1685) .

Here is a picture of such a coin ...

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e71/Pierrex/zzz3.jpg

Coin weights were made to correspond to the weights of particular coin denominations. They were most commonly made of brass or other copper alloy and were generally produced for high-value coins made of gold rather than silver.

Their purpose was to check the weight of coin in circulation and ensure that coin received was of good quality.

Coin weights for Charles I gold Unites were made in both round and squire weights. The one I found was squire – here is an example of a round one (described as “Charles I, 1625-1649, a round brass for gold unite (20 shillings) (8.90gm) CAROLVS REX , bus t to l. / Crown over XX/s”).

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e71/Pierrex/zzz2.jpg

As a matter of interest, the gold Unite replaced the gold Sovereign in 1604, and then was itself replaced by the gold Laurel. The Unite made its appearance again during the reign of Charles I (valued at 20 shillings = my coin weight)

It was replaced by the Guinea gold coin. With the introduction of regular machine made "milled" coinage under Charles II, the Guinea was introduced in 1668. It was so called because the gold from which many were made was imported from the African state of Guinea.

The Guinea was replaced by the Sovereign – so the English are right back where they started before 1604!

Regards

Pierre

wayjen    10
wayjen

So we went to the beach again today with my metal detector. there were Blue Bottles on the sea shore aswell as wine bottles and plastic bottles.

IMAGE_076..jpg.ee4b42031e8b90e7bd83c9599990f664.jpg

moppies    10
moppies
So we went to the beach again today with my metal detector. there were Blue Bottles on the sea shore aswell as wine bottles and plastic bottles.

Ag shame Wayjen - miskien gaan dit more beter...... Die wat al die lee "bottels" gelos het, het dalkies iets anders ook gelos - soek net meer inland ... miskien naby blombeddings(LOL)

wayjen    10
wayjen

ha ha ek het gekyk maar dit lyk vir my mense is te arm om ringe en dinge te dra.

Pierre_Henri    14
Pierre_Henri

Dit is eintlik nie 'n grap nie ....

In September 2000 het ek IN EEN MAAND R40 000 se goue ringe opgetel in die Strand - die Wes-kaapse see-oord naby Gordons Baai . Vandag seker R80 000 werd - lees Scott Balson se "On The Cusp" (op Bid-or-Buy) oor wat met goud gebeur het sederdien - ...

So eintlik is dit nie meer 'n grap nie, maar vir daardie hardwerkende perone wat hulle hart daarin sit 'n GROOT GELEENTHEID en natuurlik 'n wonderlike stokperdjie!

Groete

Pierre

wayjen    10
wayjen

Pierre,

When will I find your stories about Treasure Hunting or coin collection etc, you have started something now.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

My feathers are going to turn green with envy! Now, is there any chance you have a spare metal dectector (secondhand but working) to sell to The Beak?

wayjen    10
wayjen

hmmm Mr Henry must think i am joking when I want to read more about his exploits.

Janet I just have this one but i see there is an online shop selling the real deal, I wish my bills were all paid up and had money to spare to buy a real machine..

Bertman Trading    10
Bertman Trading

Great now I also want a metal detector! I stay on a plot that used to be an open mine and would really like to detect there... I saw a nice detector with what seems to have al the bells and whistles but at R12500,00?!?!

wayjen    10
wayjen

i will PM you Bertman.