Sign in to follow this  
Miss Jewels

Daylight Robbery

Miss Jewels

I've been experiencing more and more sellers using absolutely misleading "indicative market value" pricing. This is so dishonest and only meant to mislead potential, unsuspecting buyers and conning them into purchasing the item at a ridiculously high price. I found one specific item today, from a seller with a 55.56% rating, advertising a ring with an indicative market value of R2500.00. An unsuspecting buyer is really going to think they're purchasing something unique and valuable....... I can't understand why some sellers need to resort to misleading advertising to sell their products and in the process give the honest sellers a bad name.

BumbleBabe

Why? Well they make their money, and no one does anything to them.:mad: Even with a 55% rating buyers will give them the benefit of the doubt. After all why would BOB allow them to keep trading if they are so bad? Buyers put a lot of trust in BOB.

DestinysAngels

:hm:It is sad though, because they will buy once and never again (Once Bitten, Twice Shy) and that leaves the rest of us in the drain!:mad:

Miss Jewels

Exactly DA, because now the buyer will think all the sellers are the same, when in fact, there are so many honest sellers on this site. Such a pity. Maybe we can get this value binding on the seller that if, once the item is bought, and it is found to be fake/immitation/untrue value, the seller is forced to refund the buyer the price they stated as the value? This is one way of making sure that the value we state is true and just. If there is no value stated and the item is sold at a very high price, so be it. The advert was not misleading and it was the buyers choice to bid to a maximum. Your thoughts?

DestinysAngels

Sounds good to me, what does BOB think and the other BOBBER's?:wondering:

brands online

Ren't sellers supposed to maintain a 80% positive rating or higher? I think you should simply mail BOB with the seller in question and they will attend to it :wink:

babyface2
Ren't sellers supposed to maintain a 80% positive rating or higher? I think you should simply mail BOB with the seller in question and they will attend to it :wink:

hi BO i think it is only verified sellers that needs to keep that 80% positive rating

BumbleBabe

I agree, the seller should not be allowed to trade if the ratings are so low. Unfortunately most buyers just wont return after a bad buy. They just wont fight for whats right, dont have time or just dont know what to do.

MJ it may help, but then the buyer need to know about it and there is already so much for them to learn.

Just my 10 cents:amuse:

BumbleBabe
hi BO i think it is only verified sellers that needs to keep that 80% positive rating

Even more so should the unverified sellers be kept on a short leach. Will solve lots of problems.

Thats jut what I think:rolleyes:

Guest Guest

Hi guys and gals:awesome:, I think everyone here is right in their own way, but I still believe as a seller myself that the buyers should also accept some responsibility in ensuring that what they buy is what they expect by asking questions if unsure and to assume that when a seller has 55% positive ratings they should be very carefull :notrust:

If you still get scammed after you bought something that was scrupulous or misleading it could always be reported to our FBI/CIA/NSA/MI6 Team :ninja:

But if you choose to bid or buy something from someone with less than 100% it is worth checking the ratings to find out where the negative came from and the reason and response from the seller as to why.

Just my 5cents :whistling: Oh and hello DA and BB :cool:

brands online

I'm pretty sure I read or heard somewhere that sellers are reuired to maintain a rating percentile of 70 or 80% to remain as sellers. If not, I think that's a good idea...

BumbleBabe

Hi MT, yes your right. The problem is there will always be 3 sides to a story and you can do what you want, the bad sellers and bad buyers will find a way. This could go in circles, my head is already spinning:rolleyes:

DestinysAngels
Just my 5cents :whistling: Oh and hello DA and BB :cool:

:razz:I agree with you whole heartedly and hallo to you to and welcome back stranger!

Miss Jewels

I sent the seller a question while the item was open asking where they found the indicative market price of a ring to be R2500.00 knowing full well what the cost price was. I only received an answer after the listing closed, hence no one else could see the Q or A. Below is the answer I received :

Hi, i put that there - i have no clue how much they cost... im not a supplier/store... Regards.

Can you believe the audacity of this seller? Totally misleading and fraudulant activity as far as I'm concerned. But again, this is only my opinion.

qball

It would be helpful, if you could tell us which seller? Forum rules - please post a link to the item in question or the seller's profile.

Thank you

Cuan

Gaga4Gold

I am a relatively new buyer to BoB, and I really enjoy "window shopping" on this site. I am so glad I joined the forum community, this is where you learn, from sellers like you Miss Jewels and Brands Online and all the others on this thread... (I love what you have to offer) I agree, when purchasing something very expensive and highly priced/valued, one should have the opportunity after purchasing the item to be able to have it evaluated independently and if the item is not as promised, one should be able to return it for a refund, because most of these sellers do not allow pick ups, so you take the the risk in assuming...

Miss Jewels

Hi Cuan. Herewith the link, although the item has already closed. fostersports : bidorbuy ID: 27363138 - STUNNING 4.0CT ENGAGEMENT RING

kebs

Personally, I leave out the market price a lot of the time.. This is because places will often have specials & I can't keep track of every single shop (retail & online) in SA selling the same stuff as me! I received a question once to tell me I had the market price of something R150 higher than a shop - which had the item on special.. After explaining nicely that I don't have the time to check every shop every day for specials, & my items are bought from overseas, so the price is set elsewhere, I decided to rather leave that out from then on.. This seller should have done the same thing - if you're not sure, leave it out, buyers can also do a bit of investigating to check if it's a good deal or not.

BumbleBabe
Hi Cuan. Herewith the link, although the item has already closed. fostersports : bidorbuy ID: 27363138 - STUNNING 4.0CT ENGAGEMENT RING

I use to sell jewelry, and there is just no way that is worth R2500...........NO WAY!!

I never look at market price, if the seller is selling something and I think its over priced I dont buy it.

brands online
I am a relatively new buyer to BoB, and I really enjoy "window shopping" on this site. I am so glad I joined the forum community, this is where you learn, from sellers like you Miss Jewels and Brands Online and all the others on this thread... (I love what you have to offer) I agree, when purchasing something very expensive and highly priced/valued, one should have the opportunity after purchasing the item to be able to have it evaluated independently and if the item is not as promised, one should be able to return it for a refund, because most of these sellers do not allow pick ups, so you take the the risk in assuming...

Thanks G4G... we all learn something new every day here on the forum :wink: