Sign in to follow this  
treasureisland

I smell a rat..

treasureisland

:confused:

I went through quite a few listings tonight and noticed something interresting

Many sellers whom sold products locally and shipped locally, all of a sudden list items as China,UK and other items.

My question is: Are these items geniunely sent from abroad or is it simply a mechanism to bypass paying more commision on bid or buy?

Some sellers are geniunely sending from abroad and make you aware of possible import duties,etc.

Other sellers tells you that they are sending it to their hometown and from there,they send it to you.

Surely it does not sound right.

One seller,for instance sells a lot of cellphones, most valued under R200-R300,and as a result most items sells for R1 and the buyers has to fork out over R400 on shipping. As a result,bid or buy only gets 4c commission on each item sold.

Realisticly no seller can afford to sell so many phones at R1???

It would mean that he/she has to buy the item for around 8pence(U.K)

There are many more sellers that followed the same path over the past year and something sounds fishy..

A track of 100 plus items being sold at R1 would result in most sellers closing their bussinesses soon.

Should it be the case of the seller/s being unethical,he/she makes nice proffitts from cheap items and their monthly bid or buy commission due won't exceed R10.

One seller sold 32 items today at R1 each and won't allow combining. If it was sent from the u.k as listed, surely combining wouldn't have been an issue.Furthermore this seller sends it to their South african warehouse first and then to the customers.

The cost on each item for shipping is R449. WHY DOES MANY SELLERS THEN SEND FROM THE SAME COUNTRIES, AT HALF THE RATE?

Didn't any other buyers find it weird too?

:confused:

Wild Olive Art

Yes , I agree with you, it is fishy ! What would be the reason for not being able to combine items unless of course profit was being made from the shipping .

You should report the seller to CW and let them look into it . Nobody with any business sense at all would be selling so many items at R1 !

Daykie

Even if it wasn't dodgy it would be just stupid business practise. If you're going to sell things in a country surely it would make more sense to send them to someone in that country first and distribute them through local agents/ family and keep your costs down? That way you can be upfront about the costs involved including customs etc and work it into your pricing scheme and not your postage, and if you're sending a whole lot of items all at once to your agents you wouldn't be paying such high shipping so the consumer could save as well. It would be interesting to see how many parcels from these people claiming to be from other countries are posted locally anyway, because again they must be sending them in bulk to their "agents" and so no way the postage is costing 400. I get most of my games from overseas and I pay for customs/ shipping/ new boxes etc and it's all worked in to the price and people at least don't feel they are being ripped off when the postage they pay is only 30 rand on a game that has come from overseas.

But yes I agree something does look dodgy about a lot of these sellers.

Incidentally, I don't know who these people are kidding, I always look at the postage when I buy so if I am only willing to pay 400 rand for something, I'm never going to pay more than 1 rand for one of their items, or avoid them altogether if the item is only worth 300. That means unless they find a way of charging different postage for all their items they are only ever going to be able to sell cheap rubbish, whereas if the postage was 60 rand or so they'd have more options of what they could sell.

Edited by Daykie

allyjhb

TreasureIsland would you kindly reply to my email I sent yesterday and reforwarded to you today. If you have time to post to the forum surely you have time to respond to a customers email?

YSLMAGIC

well your reasoning sounds perfect to me , its just to get away from bid or buy commisions the phone maybe costs R200 and getting R450 including postage they make R250 every single phone and pay 5c commisions

RAJRULES1

...And what about all the sellers claiming the watches they sell are genuine, sells for the equivalent of R30 000 but gets sold for R2500 all the time. Does not make business sense to me. I know that there are replicas available out there that can easily pass for the real thing.

Sellers of real "non fake" items cannot sell their items because someone else is selling an "identical" item for a 1/10th the retail price.:meh:

I am also surprised that many sellers are offering manufacturer's guarantees for Apple iPads when it is so clear that Apple will not honour this guarantee in SA.

There are loads more examples of this out there, but I will only sound like sour grapes by complaining.:biggrin:

Buyers Beware!!

Guest Guest

Hi Rajrules1, you are absolutely right to be concerned, there are a lot of fake items and fake watches. But what has to be taken into consideration when talking about these watches that say value R30 000 and sell for 2500, is that those values are mostly according to international values and then converted to Rands. This was discussed in a previous thread and it is a tactic some sellers use to push their sales, but those are mostly the real deal but sellers can buy these watches for R1500 on the net and they can make a profit versus buying the watch at a jewelery store and really paying 10/20/30 000. I see that you also sell watches so you must be aware of where to find some real bargains out there.

I myself sell Tag Heuer watches that is worth between 10 000 and 50 000 for about half the price and I can still make a profit because I bought the watches on a repo auction as do most reputable sellers like Yala24 and JeweleryMall who has done their homework on where to find real bargains, that is after all how we operate on BoB.

But yes you are right, there are some new sellers that try and scam people out of their hard-earned cash, but the security team is all over it as they where with me when I started selling watches (they requested authentication certificates and serial numbers which was send to their contacts for verification)

Edited by MediaTech

RAJRULES1

You are correct Mtech. Its just that someone like me will never know the difference. All the items I sell Are stuff I won in competitions from magazines like Glamour, GQ, FHM, TopBilling,etc. so I am sure that they are genuine. When I changed batteries for some that I use for myself and my family, I make it a point to do it at a reputable Jewellery Store and at the same time get confirmation. You may also notice that I write in some of my listings that I will be prepared to refund the buyer 100% if the watches or even the ipad I am selling is not 100% original.

My prices are low because I do not buy them but win them.:awesome:

I am now trying to get "rid" of stuff that I never used and probably never will.:biggrin:

hallmark2

hi this is hallmark. i like this forum list.keep it up gays

===========================================

Edited by Andries Marais
Deleted external link

RAJRULES1

You mean Guys

jacque31