Sign in to follow this  
Digitrade

MALWARE Virus

jacque31
I've read that it's best to use a multilayer approach and I do that now.

True, but I think the best way is to prevent this from happening in the first place. Stay away from dodgy websites, be careful when getting things from your friends on a flash drive, bogus emails ect. Although you can't always help, but 99% off the time it is avoidable!

Digitrade

I'm not a computer fundi, but am I right in thinking that most viruses access your computer via your e-mail or corrupted flash drivers or disks and not through visiting normal websites?

I had one tab open working in Bidorbuy, and the other tab on Google Images. I clicked on an image of a "coat tree" to download, when the Malware struck. The IT guy also said that it comes from anywhere. It does not have to be an unsafe website.

What is also strange, is that I received two e-mails prior to that, telling me that I won the UK lottery. I never opened the mails, and just deleted them.

kyle2

Hey Guys, I don't know why I didn't think of this before, I had a particulary nasty virus on the pc about a year ago and someone recomended I try ComboFix. This program actually goes in and over writes corrupted code with your particular pc's correct or original code. It takes between 10 mins and 40mins depending on the amount of damage done, but hell, it gets the job done, there is a risk involved, but it is explained while you run the program, if you follow the intructions, you should have no problem.

Its a really brilliant program and is available as a free download on the web, just do a search and found a reliable download centre, but it is recommended that you run it in Safe Mode only!.:wink:

RISadler
This program actually goes in and over writes corrupted code with your particular pc's correct or original code.

Are you sure that is all it does, for free?

kyle2

Yep, we've used it on a couple of PC's, it only works once per download though for some strange reason, but it works well.

DA_LION_619

Best security option out there is Kaspersky + Malwarebytes

Great thing with kaspersky is its light and fast with the best protection you might not even need malwarebytes but you can't be too safe.

Also with Kaspersky you get to create this live disc so when your PC is badly infected and you don't have another PC to do your scan from, pop the disc into your infected PC, boot from the disc into the linux kaspersky and scan with any need of entering windows.

Best of all is its cost effective, R300 for 3 user 1 year subscription( Internet Security) is not bad in my books.

Oh and say you buy yours in the middle of 2010 and towards the end of the year the 2011 version comes out just download it enter the your license code and your subscription continues with your remaining days.

jacque31

Just had a same type of scareware previously mentioned in this thread. Malwarebytes could not even remove it. Detects it very easily, but removes it and before it's done it's back again. Had to do it myself. Not impressed with the program after all the good things I heard about it on the net :sad: Oh if you come across something with the name "Antivirus 2010" run as quickly as you can. If you can even see it in time. One day I just started my laptop and boom - there it was! Immediately knew this was bogus. Some dead give aways was = I didn't even install it, have pop-ups like crazy (all about buy now buy now blah blah), stupid warnings (apparently I am on the police's list of spammer computers and they will cut me off from the internet forever :rolleyes:), stupid list of viruses I have, the program has so many spelling mistakes....in the main "security center" and the pop up messages as well. The list of obvious signs is endless and I can't believe people fall for it :huh:. Didn't take to long to get rid of but this type of crap is the most irritating one's around :mad: !

Cali Craft and Gems

I've had that nonsense on my pc three times in the past 10 days - and it takes about 6 to 8 hours to clean it off the pc properly every time! The last time I only managed to crawl into bed at 3am - 6 hours after the start! My "problem" starts when I access a specific supplier's website so I'll definitely be phoning the owner of the company on Monday - I need to get more stock and refuse to access his website until he's sorted it out!

Grr....

Vinyl Lady Decals

Hi Cali

His website is definitely infected. He probably isn't even aware of it.

meeks
I understand your frustration, at least it's not a few days yet like a had before. Struggled for about a week and a half. Had to save everything, reinstalled Win, recopy everything and so forth. The thing was I tried all AV programs, tried manually to delete it. But this one made copies every time, and one the computer was booted, in any mode it would "respawn" again. Very very frustrating.

Hope you get the sucker. I you are still struggling - a good tip is to check what the virus name is, google the "virus name + removal", that should get you more info on it, how it behaves, other people's dealings with the same virus, removal techniques ect. Or post the name here, and people can have a look also.

Good luck!

After going onto a local supplier's website, got a message saying something like "infection detected" - (or something to that fact) and gave me options to ignore or move to vault, I moved it to the virus vault, then went to see wht the name of the culprit is. "Trojan horse Exploit_c.MLF" anyone have any info on this? I tried to google the name, but it does not deliver any results for this.

I managed to get hold of the supplier by e-mail, explaining the problem on their website, they replied that they found a line in the header that was infected,they have secured the page and removed the infected line. I have not tested it to see if the problem is taken care of as yet, as too afraid for a repeat performance

Edited by meeks
more info

jacque31
After going onto a local supplier's website, got a message saying something like "infection detected" - (or something to that fact) and gave me options to ignore or move to vault, I moved it to the virus vault, then went to see wht the name of the culprit is. "Trojan horse Exploit_c.MLF" anyone have any info on this? I tried to google the name, but it does not deliver any results for this.

Well first thing is lots of viruses have names that are little bit different but are the exact same one. I came across this loads of times - with different AV programs reporting different names for it. But it's normal for viruses to have "aliases" Will have a look if I can spot something on the net :wink:

meeks
Well first thing is lots of viruses have names that are little bit different but are the exact same one. I came across this loads of times - with different AV programs reporting different names for it. But it's normal for viruses to have "aliases" Will have a look if I can spot something on the net :wink:

Thanks! will check back sometime to see if you found anything.

jacque31

Nope could not even find something close to it - but this happened to me before - search search and searched until I found something that matches the name close enough. Went and read up a little but more and later found out it was the exact same sucker - easy removal. So you can try that, but if your AV picked it up then whats the problem? Can get it off?

So funny no I was looking for this thing for removal - and I landed on a site for creating virus :rolleyes:

****what AV program are you using?****

DA_LION_619

Trojan horse (computing) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A Trojan horse, or Trojan, is malware that appears to perform a desirable function for the user prior to run or install but instead facilitates unauthorized access of the user's computer system. "It is a harmful piece of software that looks legitimate. Users are typically tricked into loading and executing it on their systems", as Cisco describes.The term is derived from the Trojan Horse story in Greek mythology.

As all Trojan horses are different made by different people and and exploit different bugs, they all behave the same that why you get names like

Trojan horse Exploit_c.MLF

If a new type of Trojan horse was found on BOB some AV company who finds it may call it Trojan horse Exploit_BOB

Hope you get the point