Sign in to follow this  
alloway65

Maxi Silks

alloway65    10
alloway65

Maxi Silks

I see in recent weeks lots of “new” Maxi Silks are surfacing after over 25 years, some very nice ones, which I did not know of and some more common and not so nice!

I had about 3 - A4 paper boxes full of maxi silks at one time which I thought was dead money and tried to give them to one of my Son’s for gratis…..he was not interested. Managed to sell most of them privately and on BoB some time ago.

Came across some more recently must see what I have and maybe flog them on BoB.

Does anyone remember what we paid for maxi silk sets in the 80’s about R5.00 a set…I think???

Best regards

David

dstorm    10
dstorm

Hello David

Somehow I only saw your post now.

It is not uncommon for the Great Britain Silks (Benham for instance) to sell at 10 or 20 Pounds each. In the past 15 years or so the trend in South Africa was to collect only official covers and to treat the non-official items with total disrespect, if not contempt. It seems as if the pattern is changing (the last two or three years saw a dramatic change). In both Great Britain and USA for instance, anything out of the ordinary is very often in great demand.

Just have a look at the Booth FDC catalogue for GB FDCs. A normal (official FDC) might be listed at a few pounds, while some of the unofficial FDCs might be listed at a couple of hundred pounds.

The RSA Silk Covers and Silk Maxis are quality products. I honestly feel that they add a different and refreshing angle to a collection that otherwise might have been mundane.

I see that there are a couple of silk FDC’s (not Maxis) listed on BoB at R40-00 upwards. Many collectors / sellers might differ from me, but I believe that these are listed at bargain prices. Just how many are around? Surely not thousands?

I only rejoined the stamp market in 1988 and never bought any Silks then, but I am sure that they did not cost more than R5-00 each when they were first produced.

Regards

Jacques

alloway65    10
alloway65

Hi Jacques,

Getting old I was looking for this thread under Numismatics for 5 minutes and wondered why I could not find it….when the penny dropped….penny & numismatics not intended to be a pun.

Thanks for the info Jacques, yes I think the maxi silks were retailed at between R5 & R7 and normal private maxis just under R2!

Noticed something on BoB today re a Philatelic item which to me was not quite kosher….will start a new thread tomorrow if I have the time.

Thanks for your input Jacques….I thought Kit W was a “silk” person!!!

Have a great evening

Regards

David

dstorm    10
dstorm

Hello David

Please post about the “Not Quite Kosher” item. I also spotted one, but decided not to report it (BidorBuy sent me a warning long time ago about “abusing the Community Watch system”).

So now I mostly just sit back and enjoy.

Regards

Jacques

Kit W    10
Kit W

Hi David & Jacques

I have been away for a short period of time and picked up on the thread re Silk FDC's and maxis. David, I probably had every silk that was "manufactured" including the GOLD 150 set which eventually all fitted into 2 albums. Jaques is correct with the ball-park figure of R40 that buyers are paying right now, obviously, depending on the numbers made available, the majority of which were 600.

The demand for the Homelands issues was not as popular as the RSA, SWA and sports commemoratives that were issued and the stamp values was also a governing factor. I have some invoices from 1974 and the majority were purchased for R7.25 and the folders for R15. A lot of the silks really added that extra spark to a lot of the normal to "dull" definitive issues

Thanks for the input

Kind regards

Kit

alloway65    10
alloway65

Hi Kit,

Welcome back.

From my perspective the 70s and the 80s were the heydays of philately in SA! Or maybe I should not say Philately...the days for making good money from stamps and all the various offshoots.

The Homeland stamp issues were to the stamp business what the Mandela coin issues are to Numismatics today!

Over 30 degrees here in Jhb today, I have been playing with my grandson Logan in a large sandpit I built in a corner of our garden...under large trees & shade netting.

Retirement can be good fun!:razz:

Have a good day.

Best regards

David

librashares    10
librashares
Hello David

“Not Quite Kosher” item. I also spotted one, but decided not to report it ).

Regards

Jacques

Hi guys, Now I am curious- Please post just a pointer or reference where to look.You do not have to say anything is wrong- just "interesting"

Regards, librashares

Edited by librashares
shortened quoted text

alloway65    10
alloway65

Shame Jacques, I am also curious...go on tell !!!!:wondering:

dstorm    10
dstorm

Hello all

David, I do not know whether you were referring to the three SWA covers as not being kosher, but I honestly believe that the 3 SWA covers are totally kosher. The middle cover could be a missing red, or perhaps only a weak red, but the seller made no claims. They are definitely three different shades. I honestly believe that the seller is a very ethical person. In fact, he used no adjectives!

The item I referred to was an imperf of RSA (6th definitive series?). According to a press release in the SA Philatelist, this item falls into the limits of the items that were stolen from the RSA Archives. But there is no proof that it did not “slip out” at an earlier or later stage.

Regards

Jacques

Edited by dstorm

alloway65    10
alloway65

Hi Jacques,

Your point taken, but how does one account for the fact that the stamps were also "faded" to different degrees. I am also not saying the covers were faded deliberately! I have no axe to grind....just a point of interest.

Thanks for the info on the imperf RSA 6th definitive stamps!

Regards

David