Sign in to follow this  
Xiled

What is the market value of the PF69 2008 Mandela 90th Birthday Coin?

kyle2
If by frosted you mean cameo, that coin is not remotely rare. At this time, the NGC census lists 464 with 223 in PR-69 ULTRA CAMEO and 19 in PR-70 UCAM. Given how many there are already in the census, I would expect that a UCAM is the norm for this issue as it is on modern US proof coins.

No, frosting refers to the coin having a matt finish, usually on the raised parts of the coin, this modification is done to the Mold and not the coin, coins may not be altered in any way. I believe that there are only 5000 of these frosted coins minted, so that could make the coin 'rare'.

jwither

Collectors in South Africa must use different terminology than in the United States. In the US, matte proof coins are not frosted at all. They are actually dull without a mirror finish. Some collectors prefer them but others such as myself find them inferior. I have not seen these coins but based upon what you described, every specimen in the NGC census that I just described is the same one you did.

Guest Guest

Matte v Gloss

In photography a "matte finish" is that dull finish that does not reflect light readily - while a "gloss finish" is that "light reflecting" mirror-like finish. The reason most photographs framed and hung on the wall have a "matte finish" and most photos in your photo album have a "gloss finish".

It would make sense for coins to have a similar terminology (if matte and gloss are indeed used) I don't think they are here - but maybe they are, and are used differently in South Africa.

Kind regards

Scott Balson

Edited by ndoa18

jwither

I am going to correct one thing in my last post. The US matte proof coins I was referring to were issued from 1907 to 1916. There have bene a few modern issues such as the 1998 Kenny half dollar. However, I have never inspected one in person. Its possible that these look different from the ones I have in mind.