Sign in to follow this  
Xiled

What is the market value of the PF69 2008 Mandela 90th Birthday Coin?

Xiled

Greetings!

I am new to BOB and I am currently selling my first item, does anyone know the value of the PF69 Mandela Birthday Coin?

I currently have the bidding start price set at R35000. 2008 Birthday R5 - ****Only 5000 Proof Coins Minted**** PF69 ANACS Graded Proof Mandela 90th Birthday Coin for sale in Vereeniging (ID:27004017)

Any help will be appreciated!

HR_COINS

I say its worth R5. R10 max

anerstemens

Really Why?

Xiled

I am asking what the market value of the coin is, not what you are prepared to pay for the coin. I am sure the market is prepared to pay more than R5 as even the MS coins are selling for more.

BumbleBee

The best way to find out what people are willing to pay for it is to put it on a R1 auction, crazy Wednesday would be your best bet.

YSLMAGIC

hopefully you'll get the R35000 you want if there is someone looking for the one you have but , on a crazy auction i doubt you'd get that much , but good luck but i personally dont feel there is really a market value for these R5 coins , i think too much was made of it too quickly

Xiled

Ok thanks I will give it a try as soon as this auction is over.

alloway65

I would place it on a normal BoB auction starting at a price you hope to receive...and if you are lucky, like I was, someone will eventually make you a realistic offer....might take a few re lists! Good Luck. David.

Xiled
I would place it on a normal BoB auction starting at a price you hope to receive...and if you are lucky, like I was, someone will eventually make you a realistic offer....might take a few re lists! Good Luck. David.

Yeah I think I might be a bit too eager, relisting it sounds more sensible. Thank you David.

HR_COINS
Really Why?

ANACS has no reputation or standing in the market today. If it was NGC or PCGS then people would take it a bit more seriously.

Anyway, I wish you success in getting the best possible price.

kyle2

You probably would have gotton a good price if it was an NGC graded coin, they are by far the most popular when it comes to coin grading.

This coin looks as if it may be a frosted coin? I stand under correction but if it is then it probably is quite rare as well.

alloway65

I am sure it is a frosted coin...I did not look at the original link...was multitasking...hard for us men......I was under the impression that the SA Mint tried to discourage people from having these frosted Mandela coins graded!!!:rolleyes:

Xiled

I think this coin is from the Nelson Mandela 90th Birthday Celebration Bi-metal Set of which there are only 5000.

kyle2

If thats the case then it definately is a frosted coin, and I know that the SAMINT was against having these sets broken up and graded, what they were going to do about it is anyones guess, they probably couldn't stop anyone from grading them.

But it is interesting that this grading company did not pick up on the fact that it is a frosted coin, all the other grading companies clearly note the fact.:confused:

Xiled
If thats the case then it definately is a frosted coin, and I know that the SAMINT was against having these sets broken up and graded, what they were going to do about it is anyones guess, they probably couldn't stop anyone from grading them.

But it is interesting that this grading company did not pick up on the fact that it is a frosted coin, all the other grading companies clearly note the fact.:confused:

Can you direct me to a link where I can confirm what you're saying because when I do a search on the net for the Celebration set it mentions that there is a Mandela Proof R5 Coin. See this link: Stock For Sale then click on the link "2008 The Neslon Mandela" which states the following:

The Nelson Mandela

Gold 90th Birthday Celebration Set

Set Consists of:

2008 R5 Proof Circulation Coin - Bi Metal Alloy - 9.5 gram - 26 mm

2008 Commemorative Medallion

Metal Content - Inner: Au 999.9 - Outer: Ag 925 Cu 75

Mass - Inner: 15.553 gram - Outer 8.9 gram

Diameter - 26 mm

with certificate

Limited Edition 5000

alloway65

From memory::wondering:

• There was a 14000 minting of the Mandela Twin Set...non precious metal set....this set was frosted....cost about R460.00!
  • The Gold set had a 5000 minting, was hard to come by, and cost about R9 000.00......don't think it was frosted!

Hope this helps

David

Xiled

Thanks for clarifying David. This is from the Celebration set not the Commemorative set. From what I understand the commemorative set has a proof-like coin and the celebration set the proof coin.

kyle2

You should phone the SaMint and speak to Sandy, she will give you any information you require on your coin, she's not going to be happy that its been slabbed, but hey, not your problem if you bought it like that.:whistling:

The frosted coin came with another set of two coins, not sure if this set contains a frosted coin, the frosting was done on the shoulders of the Mandela image only according to the SAmint.

Xiled
You should phone the SaMint and speak to Sandy, she will give you any information you require on your coin, she's not going to be happy that its been slabbed, but hey, not your problem if you bought it like that.:whistling:

The frosted coin came with another set of two coins, not sure if this set contains a frosted coin, the frosting was done on the shoulders of the Mandela image only according to the SAmint.

I bought the coin from a dealer but I don't think the SA Mint can do anything in any case, they are a business if I understand it correctly and they don't have any control over what the public does with the merchandise they sell. Not talking about fraud or anything like that of course.

BumbleBee

I can't find a whole lot of info on this but, if memory serves me correctly, the mint produced about 5000 proof coins, loose, a few months back. I got an e-mail invitation to pre-order but cannot find the mail. These coins were not part of a set nor were they laser frosted.

If I am mistaken then I welcome anyone who can correct me.

Vertigo

Hi,

NGC would have graded it as laser frosted if it was from the twin R5 set.

If it is from the R5 and mandela 1/2 ounce medal then it would grade proof

If it's from the twin R5 set , seems like anacs graded it as a proof in error ( highly unlikely), looks proof

if that is the case , then Selling it as a proof would be bad for numismatics going forward,,,,,,

I would suggest that you send it for regrading to NGC or PCGS.

Most collectors prefer NGC and PCGS here on BOB

Warm Regards

Imraan Moosa

Edited by Vertigo

Vertigo
I can't find a whole lot of info on this but, if memory serves me correctly, the mint produced about 5000 proof coins, loose, a few months back. I got an e-mail invitation to pre-order but cannot find the mail. These coins were not part of a set nor were they laser frosted.

If I am mistaken then I welcome anyone who can correct me.

The mint did not produce any single proof madiba birthday coins , only 14000 twin sets, reason they put the 2000 Mandela proof coins in the sets is because they were still at the mint (unsold of the the 40000 blanks , see Brian herns sa coins and patterns , pg 107),

ie 14000 , twin R5 sets , 08 Mandela and 2000 Mandela

5000 sets ( by postal invitation with unique reference number and not transferable ) R5 proof 08 , + 1/2 ounce (bi-metal medallion in gold and silver)

Nothing else that I am aware of ......

regards

imraan moosa

Xiled
Hi,

NGC would have graded it as laser frosted if it was from the twin R5 set.

If it is from the R5 and mandela 1/2 ounce medal then it would grade proof

If it's from the twin R5 set , seems like anacs graded it as a proof in error

Selling it as a proof would be bad for numismatics going forward,,,,,,

I would suggest that you send it for regrading to NGC or PCGS.

Most collectors prefer NGC and PCGS here on BOB

Warm Regards

Imraan Moosa

Like I said before it's from the R5 and mandela 1/2 ounce medal AKA the Celebration set.

Vertigo

Its a proof

Hi ,

Kindly see my previous post which seems like I was busy amending it , while you were quoting me ( 2 minutes difference) lol

I had changed my post to " highly unlikely as I looked at your coin and it looks proof )

Send it to NGC and you'll make a couple of extra thousands

Warm regards

Imraan moosa

jwither
You probably would have gotton a good price if it was an NGC graded coin, they are by far the most popular when it comes to coin grading.

This coin looks as if it may be a frosted coin? I stand under correction but if it is then it probably is quite rare as well.

If by frosted you mean cameo, that coin is not remotely rare. At this time, the NGC census lists 464 with 223 in PR-69 ULTRA CAMEO and 19 in PR-70 UCAM. Given how many there are already in the census, I would expect that a UCAM is the norm for this issue as it is on modern US proof coins.

To the post which appera to make a distinction between "proof" and "laser frosted", there is no difference. Both are proofs. The "laser frosted" proof is simply what NGC calls a Cameo (CAM) or UCAM while PCGS calls it a CAM or Deep Cameo (DCAM).

As for the price, if I could get R35000 on this coin or anywhere near it, I would take the money and run. Given how common this coin is, anyone who pays anywhere near that amount is making a less than optimal financial decision..

Edited by jwither