Sign in to follow this  
qball

Consumer Protection Act Postponed

qball

Consumer Protection Act, which will radically increase the protection afforded to consumers, was due to come into force on 24 October, but will now be implemented only on 1 April 2011 as per LawDotNews

BumbleBee

The implementation of the Act has been postponed until the end of March 2011. An important exception is the harsh Section 61, which holds suppliers liable for damages caused by defective goods even if the suppliers were not negligent. This section applies in respect of any goods that were first supplied to a consumer on or after 25 April 2010.

Edited by BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Here is another useful piece of info from the new act.....

Not even the Consumer Protection Act – which comes into effect in October with wide-ranging consumer protections – deprives a retailer of the right to alter the price of a product before it is purchased. The act states: “If a price as displayed contains an inadvertant and obvious error, the supplier is not bound by it, after correcting the error in the displayed price and taking reasonable steps to inform consumers to whom the eroneous price may have been displayed of the error and the correct price.”

“A supplier is not bound by a price displayed in relationship to any goods or services if an unauthorised person has altered, defaced, covered, removed or obscured the price displayed or authorised by the supplier.”

MsPlod

Consumer Protection Regulations

FYI

The proposed Consumer Protection Regulations were published for public comment in the Government Gazette on 29 November 2010.

The long awaited regulations set out detailed parameters regarding implementation and compliance with the Consumer Protection Act, the whole of which is to be effective from 1 April 2011.

The government notice invites public comment to the regulations by 31 January 2011.

Should you require a copy of the draft regulations go to the dti website... the dti/Proposed Consumer Protection Act Regulations

bigv1978

I think sellers are going to get a lot of problems with this new act and BOB's work load is going to increase, it is going to give consumers a lot of power and judging from the abuse that sellers receive from the rating system on BOB, it's going to be a nightmare.

To name a few companies, Cell C and Woolworths and have now recalled all the franchises back from their franchisees, an old customer of mine owners 4 Woolworths stores and what he told me is that they making their franchisees offers to purchase the stores back and if they refuse the offer then Woolworths issues them a letter that their franchise agreements will not be renewed upon expiry ( All their Capital investment gone).

Mc Donalds sold their master franchise for South Africa the other day so they don't have to deal with this new consumer act and by the way if you did not know a franchisee is considered a consumer in the new act giving them more power in terms of negotiations and not dictation with the franchisor.

As a consumer I welcome the act but as a seller I fear it as you will always come across a buyer who will mess you around because they have a right to do it.

Edited by bigv1978

MsPlod
I think sellers are going to get a lot of problems with this new act and BOB's work load is going to increase, it is going to give consumers a lot of power and judging from the abuse that sellers receive from the rating system on BOB, it's going to be a nightmare.

As a consumer I welcome the act but as a seller I fear it as you will always come across a buyer who will mess you around because they have a right to do it.

All the more reason to comment on the draft regulations. You do NOT need to be a lawyer to comment. It may help to consult with (or even just chat to) a lawyer, but all comments will be reviewed. This is the chance that traders (and consumers) have to ensure FAIR trading.

sa1190

Hi hope this act is going to give me as a buyer more power. I have only made a few purchases on BOB and only 1 turned sour .

Maybe then we will be able to get rid of some of these sellers.

Edited by qball