Sign in to follow this  
Guest Guest

Piet Retief's original title deed

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest

I was delighted to find positive proof that the document I bought some years ago on eBay IS the original title deed for one of the many properties acquired in Grahamstown by Voortrekker leader Piet Retief in the early 1820s.

You can see the document at this link: http://www.tokencoins.com/zar1/pietretief.jpg

It was largely due to Piet Retief's financial problems resulting from property purchases like this that he started on his Great Trek.

So this is a great artefact to have in my large collection of early South African books and documents.

Kind regards

Scott Balson

kyle2    10
kyle2

Wow Scott, thats Awsome. :awesome:

I love old documents, what else do you have from famous individuals?

moppies    10
moppies

Can I also "brag"? My mom has the title deed of her grandfathers piece of land in Potchefstroom dated back to 1908! Not as old as the ndoa18 has but still...

MsPlod    10
MsPlod

Thrilled you have the proof - congratulations on having that piece of history!

@ Moppies - my grandpa also used to own a farm in the Potch area. Wonder whether our grandparents were neighbours... :wondering:

moppies    10
moppies
Thrilled you have the proof - congratulations on having that piece of history!

@ Moppies - my grandpa also used to own a farm in the Potch area. Wonder whether our grandparents were neighbours... :wondering:

Maybe! Give more info (PM me) and I will ask Mom when I see her again

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest

Other documents

Hi Kyle

Have a selection of very rare documents dating back to the VOC and 1677...

more at: Correspondence and Documents in the Balson Holdings Family Trust

I also have the original signatures of Livingstone, Moffat and Campbell (all RSA missionaries from early 1800s); a handwritten letter signed by Baden Powell (Mafeking); Mandela (of course) and postcard from von Lettow Vorbeck (German General in German East Africa - world war one) among many others.

Kind regards

Scott Balson

Edited by ndoa18

dstorm    10
dstorm

Hello Scott

When was the postcard from von Lettow Vorbeck written? Can’t you post an attachment? I have studied Jan Smuts extensively (I have many letters and envelopes regarding him) and I always find it amusing that von Vorbeck actually ran rings around Smuts during Word War 1.

Regards

Jacques

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest

Vorbeck

HI Jacques... 19th September 1947

Sure.. here are a couple of related links you might find interesting:

http://www.tokencoins.com/gea04.htm

As you will see his words written in the postcard wrench at the soul...

and this overview of the man:

http://www.tokencoins.com/gea04a.htm

with this extraordinary irony .. (bottom of link above):

Smuts, down in Johannesburg, who always had profound respect and admiration for Vorbeck and was determined to give him help. He worked out an arrangement whereby Lettow-Vorbeck, an enemy general, received a pension from the victors! He continued to receive this pension until his death on March 9th, 1964.

Kind regards

Scott Balson

Edited by ndoa18

dstorm    10
dstorm

Thanks Scott

Fascinating reading….

I am a bit jealous. Letters, postcards, notes, etc, from and to Smuts are relatively common. Smuts basked in his own glory. Items from Lettow-Vorbeck are a different story.

What we all know, but what we should never forget, is that von Lettow-Vorbeck was never defeated. He surrendered because Germany surrendered!

You own a treasure.

Slightly off the subject, do you know of any postal history (letters or postcards) from his period inside Mozambique or (the then) Northern Rhodesia? I know that it is highly unlikely that any might exist, but I am forever dreaming.

Regards

Jacques

Little Miss Muffet    20
Little Miss Muffet

Jacques have a look at the next crazy Wed auction under antiques and see what you think about this Janie Smuts signature in an autograph book

dstorm    10
dstorm

Hello Geewhizz

Lovely! I am no autograph expert, but there is no reason to believe that it is not genuine. My collection is in my shop and I will check it out on Sunday.

As I have said, Smuts loved the glory.

I will bid on the item, but please remember that Smuts had a career that spanned nearly 50 years. He wrote thousands of letters and signed thousands of cards. Nevertheless, the items signed in his personal (non professional / political) capacity are a lot scarcer.

Regards

Jacques