Sign in to follow this  
anerstemens

secondhand magazine

Vinyl Lady Decals

There are people who want back issues of magazines for things like recipes, patterns etc.

anerstemens

ohk sorry, did not think of that

Asha Craft Jewellery

Well, I recently sold a bulk lot of magazines for 10c each containing titles from People, Heat, Huisgenoot, Weighless, etc. I didn't want to throw it away, (seeing that they cost average R15 per mag) and didn't know who would want them, so I listed them on Bidorbuy. They all sold, and I found out that people buy these magazines and then donate them to old age homes, children's homes, hospitals, etc. Which is a brilliant idea! Now I also know what to do the next time I have a bulk lot of mags :angel:

anerstemens

Thats so cool ASHA I feal like a idiot now , it was strange to me but I guess you guys are thinking creative.

Well, I recently sold a bulk lot of magazines for 10c each containing titles from People, Heat, Huisgenoot, Weighless, etc. I didn't want to throw it away, (seeing that they cost average R15 per mag) and didn't know who would want them, so I listed them on Bidorbuy. They all sold, and I found out that people buy these magazines and then donate them to old age homes, children's homes, hospitals, etc. Which is a brilliant idea! Now I also know what to do the next time I have a bulk lot of mags :angel:

Asha Craft Jewellery

haha, no please don't feel bad. There are some REALLY wacky listings on Bidorbuy. If you haven't already seen it, check this category on the forum: Weird, wacky or funny items

BABADAUD

Magazines are splendid historical & social records of material often not published anywhere else. They reflect far better than proper literature what makes our societies tick. Serious lit tends to deal with the profound whilst magazines tend to deal with that which actually engages and affects most people at their their base level of mental & spiritual unconsciousness.

Growing up in a particularly stuffy and aristocratically arrogant colonial backwater (such as would make the most effete and affected of Natalians & Capetonians scurry for the shadows in shame for their lowly being), I was bereft of knowledge and input of my 'home' society. That was until I discovered old volumes of "Punch" from which I was able to discern the true qualities of the expressions of my race and class. And what a load of old cobblers it all was & still is. Perhaps some future emigre (from ZA) might similarly benefit from mags like Bona,You & SA Garden and Home. This last being (some years ago & probably still is) " my bible" for an effeminate ********** Afrikaaner boy who was the pretty & rather dim witted boy friend of a junior colleague.

So - even something as dull as SAG&H is desirable, collectable & saleable to somebody, somewhere.

There are few things as strange as folk.

Except personal taste, which, in the wider field beyond one's own personal prejudices, knows no bounds.

Especially at R1.00 a pop.

svw

I hate to admit it but I have been an avid collector of Garden & Home for the past 30 odd years - every editon. Home Owner + House & Leisure + House & Garden from their first edition ever published - they are very neatly stacked on bookshelves in the pub.

voldermort

I too, have my own collection of magazines - everything from the Film Weeklies of the 30's to Your Family of the late 70's & a whole lot mixed in between. It is an amazing look back into the past, the ads especially are fascinating.

MsPlod

We have 40+ years of National Geographics! Divine reading...

oaks and acorns

Used to have the awesomest collection of MAD magazines (and a smile when discovering that there are indeed some listed on BoB), but these days just pass on any mags to my neighbour. Which reminds me...