Sign in to follow this  
MsPlod

Favourite 70's songs, bands and albums - for Mellowred ;)

MsPlod    10
MsPlod

Yesterday's musical nostalgia trip back to the 1980's got me humming and foot-tapping...

Thought I'd start a thread for those of us whose teens and early twenties were spent in the 70's :whistling:

Jim Morrison - c'mon baby light my fire... mhmmm!!

Jimi Hendrix - set fire to the 1970's for me - watching some of his live performances, again and again and again - man he died too soon!!

Van Morrison (Moondance - ohhhhh!!)

Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy was just awesome!

Jethro Tull - still love their stuff... Went to a concert of theirs in CT during the 1990's and they still "had IT" :toung:

Pink Floyd's "Dark side of the moon" - some absolutely wonderful lyrics and gut-wrenching stuff...

Okie dokie - have fun reminiscing :biggrin:

kyle2    10
kyle2

Well done Lee, brings back memories, all of these golden greats and more can be found on 702 on the weekend between 10:00am and 7:00pm. I truly wish someone would start a radio station that Only plays 70's and 80's music all day every day, today's music has no heart and sounds like it was made on a construction site with 100 cats fighting in a bag.:wink:

MsPlod    10
MsPlod
Well done Lee, brings back memories, all of these golden greats and more can be found on 702 on the weekend between 10:00am and 7:00pm. I truly wish someone would start a radio station that Only plays 70's and 80's music all day every day, today's music has no heart and sounds like it was made on a construction site with 100 cats fighting in a bag.:wink:

Heh heh heh - good description, loads of angle-grinders and compression hammers thrown into the mix. There are some pretty good bands around at the moment though, just have to wade through the mire. Mebbe we should start a "21st century favourite music" thread for gathering the goodies - and learning about the highly avoidables - such as "chainsaw slaughter project" or "murderous mammas" (not real bands - at least as far as I know...)

Love the 702 (567 here in Slaapstad) weekend music programmes. Great for driving and also for background - the kids are sooooo impressed that we know so many of the tunes and words :cool::biggrin:

Another two 70's favourites were Fleetwood Mac - "the Chain" (my favourite song of theirs) and Dire Straits - can you believe "Sultans of swing" was written over 30 years ago! Here they are at the LiveAid concert

Edited by MsPlod
completed an unfinished sentence... ummmmm ;)

kyle2    10
kyle2

Some of my favourites include Creedence, Skynard, Bob Dylan, Aha,10cc, Air supply, Billy Idol, Springsteen, Brian Ferry, Christopher Cross, Men at Work, Nik Kershaw, Simon & Garfunkel, Sting, yes have to admit it, Abba, basically anything ballad orientated from the 60's 70's and 80's. There seemed to be a certain type of flow and harmony to songs from this era, the stuff nowadays sounds like an accident with chaos thrown in the mix. Dire Straits - Money for nothing video was a groundbreaker at the time.

MsPlod    10
MsPlod
Some of my favourites include Creedence, Skynard, Bob Dylan, Aha,10cc, Air supply, Billy Idol, Springsteen, Brian Ferry, Christopher Cross, Men at Work, Nik Kershaw, Simon & Garfunkel, Sting, yes have to admit it, Abba, basically anything ballad orientated from the 60's 70's and 80's. There seemed to be a certain type of flow and harmony to songs from this era, the stuff nowadays sounds like an accident with chaos thrown in the mix. Dire Straits - Money for nothing video was a groundbreaker at the time.

The only one here I don't know is Nik Kershaw - gonna look him up thanks!... Love the music from most of these guys (except ABBA - :blush:)

If you like these guys do you know the Dave Matthews Band? (OK OK that's current - but lekker big band sound with some cool tunes and great lyrics)

Also someone else to look for (from the 70s) is John Martyn - probably one of my most favourite balladeers -

voldermort    10
voldermort

CCR, just about any of their songs although I must admit to liking Bad Moon Rising just a tiny bit more than the rest.

Having 4 older brothers this was just about all I ever heard blaring from their respective rooms and eventually it caught me too :smile1:

mellowred    10
mellowred

Aw, thanks MsPlod.

There was so much good stuff in the 70s.

Golden Earring - Moontan - years later Radar Love was a very dangerous song when I was driving

Deep Purple - Machine Head (Smoke on the water is the only song I can play on a guitar :amuse:)

The Police - Reggatta de Blanc

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

Carole King - I still love Tapestry and have the CD safely stored near the player

Chris de Burgh - Spanish Train - loved acting through Patricia the Stripper

David Essex was the sexiest man alive - Mommy Dearest used to curse all the presstick bits all over the wall holding David beautiful face up where I could see it :grin: and dream. Looked him up a while ago, he still performs in England - but he looks so old now .... LOL

And of course CCR - anything and everything. Had a fantastic night out a few weeks ago, a young Hermanus blues band Mississippi Disco played at our Kalfiefees Festival - played the most wonderful CCR music for all us old bods - even Hennie with his two titanic hips was up dancing :whistling: He paid dearly for that the next day.

Sorry but I have to add John Denver and I love Dolly Parton - Did any of you watch her TV show - think it was on Sundays - always had old Kenny as a guest.

Have a look at this site - 70's - some real good memories listed there.

Now I have to go and dig out all the oldies and start playing something. Yet another late, late night awaits - all your fault MsPlod :mad::cheesy:

MsPlod    10
MsPlod
There was so much good stuff in the 70s.

Sorry but I have to add John Denver and I love Dolly Parton - Did any of you watch her TV show - think it was on Sundays - always had old Kenny as a guest.

Now I have to go and dig out all the oldies and start playing something. Yet another late, late night awaits - all your fault MsPlod :mad::cheesy:

Dolly Parton's show - with her sitting in the swing and singing - "Love is like a butterfly..." - always watched it.

Really loved John D too - although I find his voice gets to me a little now - but many of his lyrics were really superb.

What about Cat Stevens?

kyle2    10
kyle2

Don't forget Leonard Cohen. Always good for depressing someone, or to maintain that somber mood.:wink:

mellowred    10
mellowred

How could Cat Stevens have taken so long to come up :huh:. Also one of the unforgettable greats. I worked as an internal auditor at CNA and we used to travel a lot - my boss was a Cat Stevens fan so he played non-stop in the car. Think I know every word to every song.

Leonard Cohen - So Long, Marianne :biggrin:.

MsPlod    10
MsPlod

Ooooooh Baby baby it's a wild world - it's hard to get by just upon a smile ....

Suzanne takes you down, to a place by the water...

Ohhhhh this is the kind of music to work by! Ahhhhhhh...

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

You're talking about music that legends are made of! 60's and 70's ... I am now daydreaming about all sorts of things to do with those decades! :whistling:

oryxza    10
oryxza

Lady in black - Uriah Heap

One of my all time favorites.

MsPlod    10
MsPlod
You're talking about music that legends are made of! 60's and 70's ... I am now daydreaming about all sorts of things to do with those decades! :whistling:

Absolutely!! What is astounding me though, is that no-one has yet mentioned... elvis.gif "the King"

Lady in black - Uriah Heap

One of my all time favorites.

Uriah Heep!! Oh yeah headbangerf.gif

voldermort    10
voldermort

MsPlod some things just go without saying :blink1: all of his songs are legendary although "how the web was woven" is a favourite, though :grin: